“Excellent place for a quiet, delicious dinner”
Review of Rock and Rye Tavern - CLOSED

Rock and Rye Tavern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stopped here on a recent tour of the Hudson Valley area, and it was one of the highlights of a great trip overall. We ate somewhere new each time, and were looking for a nice place for a somewhat expensive "splurge" meal. We decided to give it a try, even though some reviews panned their service.

It's a little hard to find, situated right next to a golf course outside of the center of New Paltz. Walking up from the parking lot, it looks like you're going into someone's house, and the sign isn't terribly prominent; we weren't sure we had the right place.

But the tavern is a quiet, intimate place in which they've converted several different rooms of (apparently) an old house into separate dining areas. Our table was in the old kitchen/fireplace area, no far from the bar and near the fireplace. Maybe 8 or 9 tables in the room total.

Though we're not cocktail people, we tried a couple of selections from their vintage cocktails menu, and thought they were all delicious. The food was excellent, and the service was good. Though we were there in a pretty slow time of year, the pace was ... leisurely. Maybe in the high tourist season it's annoyingly slow -- but we wanted a delicious, relaxing & intimate dinner, and that's exactly what we got.

*Definitely* highly recommend it if this sounds like your type of place. We'll be going back.

1  Thank Sean M
There are newer reviews for Rock and Rye Tavern

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have eaten here pretty regularly since the Rock and Rye tavern opened and we have never been disappointed with the food or the service. The restaurant is housed in a charming, historic building overlooking a golf course and is a great place for outdoor dining in the summer. The menu is thoughtful and crafted from locally sourced meat and produce. The last time we ate here I started with a cauliflower panna cotta with artichoke chips that was both visually and gastronomically delightful followed by a rabbit sausage served over house made fettucine. My husband enjoyed a lovely golden beet and potato soup and an outstanding lamb shank. The cocktail menu is one of the most extensive and inventive ones I've seen anywhere. I've been slowly working my way through it! The wine and beer selections are also excellent. We often eat in NYC and I have to say that the food and drinks at Rock and Rye equal or surpass many of the meals we've had in Manhattan. I couldn't recommend this place more highly!

2  Thank neamoins
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I love to eat at Rock and Rye! They utilize local farms for the majority of their menu, which translates to fresh, seasonal, high quality food and a very happy belly! I have tried most of the meals on the menu and have never been disappointed. Fresh, flavorful and well executed. The cocktail menu is amazing...unique and creative with many options and the bartenders are very knowledge and helpful in providing recommendations if you're not familiar with the classic cocktails. They also have an excellent wine and beer list. Our service has always been great-friendly, professional and efficient. I love the ambiance of the tavern vibe...it's cozy and romantic with a beautiful decor. We will always come back to Rock and Rye and highly recommend it, as it's one of our favorite restaurants in New Paltz!

1  Thank ilovefood44
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife I saw the great reviews and being a restaurant person I could tell by the menu online that the chef was doing some pretty awesome things. We had a reservation for 7:30 & arrived at 7:00 to have a drink at the bar. The 8 seat bar was full, so that wasn't an option. We were told by the hostess to go find a table in the back room that was empty. After 10 minutes a server arrived to tell specials. When my wife ordered a drink. The waitress quickly turned and left before I could even order one of my own, I could tell at this point that the service was going to be terrible and it was for the entire meal. Ten minutes later another server arrived with my wife's drink, I ordered a drink and 5 minutes later it arrived. 15 minute wait for a drink and it wasn't even that busy. The rest of the night went the same way; slooooooooooow and aloof service. The food was great, but the service was so bad, dirty dishes left on the table in between courses, waiting to order another round of drinks, the long wait in between courses, that we will never be back. And with all the great restaurants in the valley we will not miss this place for one second.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Saturday night, 8:30 reservation. Got seated on time, only to find out they were out of 3 things on the menu.. Chicken, burger, salmon.. How do you run out of burgers & chicken before 8:30 on a Saturday night?? Rest of the menu is pretty limited . So we left rather than being forced to choose from whatever was left

Disappointing

2  Thank cheryl s
Suevet, Owner at Rock and Rye Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Im sorry to hear you were disappointed in our restaurant. We like to make sure everything is fresh and because we deal with a local farmer for the beef and chicken we do occasionally run out of certain items. The saturday you came was much busier than expected. But, even if we do occasionally run out of certain items it is important to us to use local meat and never substitute a lesser product. The same goes for the salmon. We would prefer to occasionally run out rather than keep old fish. We are trying to ensure the freshest product. I wish you had made your concerns known as there were many ways for us to accommodate you with items that may not have been on the menu, but you left before either my manager or I could address your concerns. As you mentioned we sat you right away, our server immediately went to your table to tell you what we were out of and to see if you had any questions. We were prompt and organized despite having a very full restaurant. I understand you did not like our menu options but I feel judging our entire restaurant on that fact is unfair. I feel if you had stayed you would have realized that we have wonderful, friendly service and delicious local food. I understand your disappointment with some menu items being out but I also feel you didn't give us a fair chance. - Cassie Fellet