“horrible horrible place!!!!!!!!!!”

Rodeway Inn and Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
“horrible horrible place!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 23, 2005

We had a horrible experience at this hotel and ended up leaving without even checking in!!!!! We booked this hotel because we were going to a wedding and they promised us an early check in so we could get ready for the wedding on time. When we arrived noone was at the front desk and we had to search for someone to help us. The man who greeted us was the most rude person I have ever encountered at a hotel!!! He told us the room would not be ready until 2:00 which was regular check in time it was 12:30 when we arrived. we tried to explain our situation and asked if he could please do a room for us first and at least get us in by 1:00 or 1:30 he just kept saying check in is at 2:00 no exceptions no rooms will be ready until two we are very busy (there were a total of 3 cars in the parking lot!!) He was extremely rude and very unhelpful and even tried to confuse us about the town we were going to for the wedding and mocked us because we didn't know the details of the area. We left and then my husband went back in to ask another question and met a different man who was just as rude as the first!!!! Do not stay here ever!!!!!!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2005

Very disappointing. This is a one story motel and the security doors were not functioning properly: anyone could walk in. Has the ambience of a dimly lit storage locker. Was also very difficult to get help from staff: definitely not the sort of place where the customer is always right! Next time I'd try the Econolodge down the street. Didn't see a "continental breakfast", so don't get your hopes up.

Also, it was expensive: have stayed at nicer hotels in New York, Denver, Chicago, etc., for less than the price of this place.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank RochesterNYTraveller

Travelers are raving about these New Paltz hotels

Tarrytown, NY
Reviewed October 19, 2005

I cannot believe the good reviews of this hotel/motel. They must be fake or placed there by the owners because I stayed at the Rodeway because of the good reviews and price and have never had a worse time at a hotel.
If you read some of the other negative reviews about the old furniture and shabby renovation work, you'll understand why this place is a rip-off. And the review that mentioned the good continental breakfast is a lie. The continental breakfast is served on a counter in the lobby. A coffee maker, some tea bags, and some apples/bananas was all it was. I guess that at least is something but nothing to write about. The rude staff and the dirtiness of the place should matter more. Unfortunately, I heard from people I met in New Platz that the other motels in the area are not great either.

5 Thank MadAboutTheWold
New York, NY
Reviewed October 17, 2005

Like the other reviewers, I decided to stay here because of the few good reviews on Tripadvisor and undeniable cheap prices. They are not cheap but since New Paltz can get expensive, they are considered reasonable. I also did not have much of a choice since most of the B&B were booked the weekend I decided to climb at the GUNKS.
I'm not a picky person. I've stayed in 4 star hotels and I've stayed at very modest B&Bs. Sometimes you just need a clean place to put your head. Well, I was shocked at how rude the motel staff was, how my bathroom was missing a wall, and the bugs all over the bathroom lights. From some of the other reviews, I gathered this place was under some renovation, but they didn't mention when we checked in that my bathroom was not completely renovated and more work needed to be done. Then the only overhead light in the bathroom was just an insect house. Pretty much the motel staff said take it or leave it, and with really big attitudes - They practically yelled at us because we wanted a cleaner room. The rooms were really big, but be sure to get a room in the back of the hotel since the traffic from the road can get noisy. Overall, a horrible stay.

8 Thank oxredxo
Cloverly, MD
Reviewed October 13, 2005

I don't know what the negative reviewers of this motel are expecting from a motel -- the Rodeway had clean bathrooms, fresh carpeting, decent beds, working tvs and helpful staff. All at a reasonable price and located ideally to both downtown Paltz and the attractions of the Gunks. The only complaint I can come up with is that the bathroom fan didn't work separately from the light and had to have been the loudest fan ever made. But given the alternative?
Also, I was injured mountain biking in the area and because we were at the hospital all night woke up after checkout time. The staff was *extrememly* understanding and accomodating and refunded our money for the day.
I'll certainly stay here again, and you should too.

30 Thank Laura A
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Room was disgusting. Cigarette burns in chairs of non-smoking room. Carpet so dirty kept our shoes on. Promised internet access is only available in lobby. Desk staff rude and arrogant.

Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I travel to New Paltz all the time on business...This place use to be a Days Inn and it was dump. I stayed there once an it was horrible. Never went back. Then they changed to Rodeway Inn so i decided to try them out again. They made some changes but its still not all that nice and its still dirty. I went into the bathroom and there was hairs all over the floor. Thank goodness they wern't in my bed. The price is rediculous. Look for yourself at the average price thing on here (tripadvisor) compared to the other hotels/motels in New Paltz. Over $100??? The two I like are EconoLodge and Super 8 Motel. 87 Motel is the worst out of all of them. I usually stay where i can get the best price for great quality. Weekends EconoLodge and weekdays Super 8. Super 8 offers a coupon in the NYS thruway book for $49.99-$59.99 during the week so i use that whenever i stay, and EconoLodge is just strait up cheaper on the weekend. Those are the two places to stay. Don't let these other reviews fool you. Half of them seem like they're fake if you ask me. But then again there are some people that just don't care out there...

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
#7 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Rodeway Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!