“Glad we decided to try!”

Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 104 Restaurants in New Paltz
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2017 via mobile

We were passing through New Paltz and my son selected this restaurant from my TA app for us to try. We were seated right away at the sushi bar, they were packed, being it was a Sunday at dinner time. I got the mango salmon roll and I devoured it! It was very good & had amazing flavors. My son got sashimi and the men in black roll. He loooved the roll & said the sashimi was top quality. Food came out very quickly but you didn’t feel rushed. Reasonable prices and good menu, something for everyone & in everyone’s budget . We’d definitely try this place again when in the area.

Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

Sushi is excellent however the Fried Rice with Salmon is addictive and the noodle soup is magic. I like the Soba Noodles. Service and atmosphere is top notch. Their green tea is sweet and ethereal. I love this place.

Reviewed September 15, 2017

I love sushi, and there are at least 3 places in town that offer Sushi, but I especially love it here. It's a very small place, but they always seem to be able to seat us. It's not cheap, but Sushi should be. I have never had a bad meal here. If you bring one of your low-grade or dull-normal friends that prefers Arches and menus with pictures, they can enjoy the Teriyaki.

Reviewed August 15, 2017 via mobile

We arrived at 8:45pm. Place closes at 9:30pm. The server came with a horrible why-are-you-here face telling us to sit and order everything we wanted at that time as the kitchen would close soon. We did. We also wanted ice cream tempura and she said it would not be possible as it was too late. She even told us: "next time come earlier before the kitchen closes". Earlier? They should serve until the last customer! Next time? There will be no next time! You don't say that to a paying customer! The food wasn't even that good anyway... and the rushed service made us not enjoy anything. Thanks for the worst experience in restaurants we've ever had!

Reviewed June 19, 2017

We go to Hokkaido very often since it is a short walk from home and because it is very very good. We have several other choices for traditional sushi and other Japanese food but Hokkaido is far and away our favorite. Just yesterday, we had a cucumber salad, sushi dinner with a spicy tuna roll, plus a shogun roll and a large beer. A miso soup came with the dinner and we shared that as well. Every single thing was as we want it to be. A couple of weeks ago, i had a large bowl of udon noodles with baked salmon, that was delicious and so satisfying.