“Used To Be My Most Favorite Sushi Place Anywhere” 2 of 5 bubbles

Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 96 Restaurants in New Paltz
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Florida
“Used To Be My Most Favorite Sushi Place Anywhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I used to LOVE this restaurant. We had moved out of the area and I couldn't wait to get sushi there when we came up for a visit. What a disappointment! Service was the worst ever. My son did not receive his food until we were all done with ours. Our drinks were never refilled unless we requested it. The worse thing, and this has never happened to me in any restaurant, was that my son was asked to vacate the table. There were 6 of us, we had a reservation and we were not there a very long amount of time. They had pushed two tables together so we could all sit together. After we got the bill I was trying to figure out the tip. My daughter in law had left to go outside with the kids so my son was left sitting at that half of the tables alone but was right next to us while I was figuring out the tip. They came over to my son and asked him if they could have the table and before he could even get up they started moving it. What horrible customer service especially after we spent $160 there!
Now about the food. So disappointing! I ordered my two favorites that I always used to get there, the spider roll and the green dragon. Spider roll was no were as good as it used to be and it was smaller. My dragon roll had almost no eel in it. It was just a roll with tons of avocado and was not good at all. A tiny piece of eel in the middle mixed with some more avocado.
We will not be returning to this once fantastic restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Port Washington, New York
“Delicious and reasonably priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I love this little place--great fresh sushi and excellent value. I particularly recommend the delicious clear mushroom soup, and try the oshingo (Japanese pickles) appetizer--a huge assortment of really interesting and delicious pickles! My boyfriend got a lovely little crab salad appetizer in half an avocado--scrumptious. Very charming atmosphere, polite servers, great experience overall. There's no other place in New Paltz I would rather eat!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank flyermontana
Sunrise, Florida
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

This cute little Japanese restaurant had outdoor seating which was pleasant on this early evening in June. The sesame noodles had a good taste but were a little gummy. The squid salad was fresh and flavorful. The sushi rolls were average. The service was pleasant and attentive.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Holly R
Dutchess County NY USA
“Very good Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had to sit outside on a not very warm day because the place was full of happy eaters (as other reviewers have noted). So if you want to sit inside to enjoy the very good food, be sure to leave plenty of time because others may have the same idea at the same time.

• Visited May 2013
New Paltz, NY
“By far the best sushi in New Paltz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Hokkaido always has the freshest and most delicious sushi in the area. Its smart to make a reservation as they fill up often.

The food: The lunch bento box is the best deal in town. For dinner the spicy cold sesame noodles, shogun roll, and the yosen nabe hot pot are our personal favorites.

The service: Usually very good. They stay on top of your table but don't overwhelm you.

The decor: The inside is quite small but cute and some of the tables are practically on top of each other. If you make a reservation you can request a table by a window which are a little more secluded. The outdoor area is a little cafeteria like, but still great on a nice day.

• Visited June 2013