“Fabulous Japanese restaurant”

Dining options: Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fabulous Japanese restaurant”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful meal at Hokkaido last weekend. We were visiting the area for a weekend away. Had dinner the night before at the Culinary Institute and wanted to eat lighter for that night. It was some of the best Japanese food we've had...I grew up in Japan, and live in Philly and eat A LOT of sushi, so am pretty discerning. The rolls were very very good and creative. We had the miso glazed eggplant (Nasu Shigi) and it was unbelievably delicious. The restaurant is small and was crowded when we were there...make a reservation! We ate at the sushi bar and enjoyed the camaraderie of the others sitting there. New Paltz is a cute funky town, and we enjoyed walking around afterwards.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank toujourparis

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I really wanted to like Hokkaido. I had read the good reviews, and when I went for dinner, the place was reasonably crowded and people were obviously enjoying themselves. I ordered a simple sushi plate, which I often do when I'm visiting a Japanese resturant for the first time. But after I placed my order, I waited 50 minutes before my food arrived - with no apologies or explanation from the waiter. And then, of the 7 pieces of sushi on my plate, 3 were salmon. Not a good evening. I'm guessing/hoping that my experience was not typical...

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank DandC02482
New Paltz, New York
“Best restaurant in New Paltz”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We love Hokkaido! The food is fresh and delicious and the staff is amazing. If you are looking for great food and excellent service, this is the place to go. Outdoor dining is available as well.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Chrissy C
Warwick, New York
“I Love This Place”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I Love This Place....not formal....but GREAT Japanese cuisine across the board...very reasonable too...you can go out a cover a wide swath of Japanese cuisine without breaking the bank...Staff is very, very sweet and accomodating...Have eaten here 4 times and always more than satisfied...A real winner...

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank L K
New York City, New York
“Hokkaido's A Hit”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had alunch at Hokkaido this week. The bento box I selected was fresh with steamed shrimp dumplings, calfornia roll and cucumber salad. It was accompanied by salad with ginger sauce, and tasty miso soup. My husband had sashimi, salmon, tuna and various rolls. Again, everything was fresh and beautifully plated. Glasses of wine were very reasonable and when the waitress learned it was his birthday, she surprised us with a complementary seame seed ice cream. It was delicous and service and quality food will keep us coming back for more!!!

Visited June 2012