“Staff are not up to the task”

Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York, NY
“Staff are not up to the task”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Here are the pros and cons of this motel. You can decide if any are important to you:

PROS
The room and halls looked clean (the building is new-ish)
There's a pool table in the lobby and a nice convivial scene.

CONS
The room smelled like cigarette smoke
When we tried to call the front desk, our phone didn't work
Though the staff were nice enough, they were all young and inexperienced. There was a guest pounding continuously on her room door and yelling at four on the morning. It took staff thirty minutes to handle the problem. The police had to come and deal with it.

Short version: At the Super 8, you are paying for a bed in a room and (probably) one 19-year-old in charge of your security all night.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the highway side of the hotel and didn't hear any traffic noise.
4 Thank Kurt12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
SweetTpie10s
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Decided last minute to head to New Paltz for a great weather weekend in October with my boyfriend..There really were not many hotels to choose from..All of the bed and breakfasts were booked and we didnt want to pay a fortune for Mohonk Mountain House..I had fairly low expectations for this hotel and I would say I wasnt disappointed nor was I impressed.
The hotel was clean but there was nothing else great about it. Mattress was super uncomfortable. Couldnt control the temperature in the room. Too hot, then too cold..etc.. , Pillows very uncomfortable (but I guess I could have asked for more).. My boyfriend didnt seem to have a problem with a bed or the pillows so I guess everyone has different opinions..
This hotel served it's purpose but for $150 a night including tax I would have liked a little more.

MONTGOMERY
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was looking for reservations close to the headless horseman ranch a few miles away. I had called about 4 other hotels and 4 other bed and breakfasts. You expect to pay a bit more for the personal service of a B&B, which were all at about $200 per night. Yet all the hotels were nearly just as high! I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a hotel at that price. If any rooms were available at any of the B&B's I may have taken one. Good thing I looked around. Not only was I surprised to find an available room at the Super 8, they were half the price of everything else!! The rooms were clean, staff courteous and the continental breakfast had a lot more than just muffins. Highly recommended!!

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz? Share your experiences!