“$72 for this?!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Milwaukee, WI
“$72 for this?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Old Super 8 with the non-pleasing decor. But at least it was clean. But for this price?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lima, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Good location right off I-87 NYS Thruway but noise was not a problem, at least for the western side of the hotel. The driveway is almost hidden so be watching left after turning off the main highway.

This hotel was built in 1984 but has been renovated. Rooms are typical from that period; small with small bathrooms. The room was very clean, water pressure is good, abundant hot water and the AC was good. The king bed was comfortable and there was a desk to work on. There is good security there with a friendly and attentive staff. The small but well furnished continental breakfast was satisfying. Overall this was a great place to stay overnight with reasonable rates and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay on the west side away from the interstate. The downstairs floor is cooler.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank SeenEnough2Know
Blackwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

While on a recent trip to the Mid-Hudson Valley we stayed at Holiday Inn Express, Poughkeepsie (for which I submitted a review) and Super8, New Paltz. I planned it this way because we were exploring on the East Bank of The Hudson, at first, and then a day-trip to Mohonk Mountain House (on the West) before heading home to New Jersey.
I found this motel thru reviews on TripAdvisor and the reviews turned-out to be right-on-the-money. This motel was just as clean and the stay just as agreeable as our stay at Holiday Inn Express with the only difference being one of dollars and the amenities more dollars buy. HIE cost $150 per night (I like to quote the final cost after all taxes and fees) and Super8 cost $110. Super8 is more (what I call) a motel you sleep at and HIE a more spacious and comfortable "residence" you spend a vacation at. Maybe that's why The Super8 is situated right on the I87 exit at Route 299 and HIE is right on Route 9 in easy striking-distance to all sorts of historical sites, restaurants, and shopping malls. This last paragraph is totally subjective and merely MY opinion. Don't include it in your decisionmaking process.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OBE94347
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I just spent 4 nights at the Super 8 Motel in New Paltz, NY and was extremely satisfied. Check in/out was fast, efficient and accurate, and my room and the eating/sitting areas were spotless! Granted, this is a Super 8, so there are no frills to speak of, but the establishment is run with care and is clean throughout. It has been ranked in the top 5 percent of all Super 8 Motels nationwide and I can say the rating is entirely justified. Great value!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank rmongoos
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

My Wife and I did 6 hours of hiking at Sam's Preerve before checking in to the hotel around 8pm at night. We were hungry and I was a mess. We were greeted warmly by the lady at the check-in desk and I asked her to pardon my appearance becase of the length of the hike and because I had not eaten in a while (Rookie mistake by an experienced hiker..) The lady at the desk offered my Wife and I a slice each of the pizza that was just delivered. It was really, really kind of her. I believe her name was Colleen.

Now Colleen isnt going to hand out pizza slices to everyone who checks in to the Super 8 (this was my own experience) but the kindness and the sympathy that she showed was outstanding. I need to email the Super 8 about her and how she really went above and beyond.

The room is basic and comfortable. It is clean. The breakfast is pretty straightforward. Cereal, danish, toast, coffee... It's not a Sunday brunch type thing. I'll say this though.. when we go to New Paltz, my Wfe and I, and our friends when they join us, always go to the Super 8.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

I have to say I was very hesitant in booking this property as I do not normally stay with this chain but it is really the only option if you want to be within walking distance to New Paltz and the college. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found the room clean, the location convenient and the staff helpful! I would definitely stay at this location again.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room facing away from parking
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBO1982
Brooklyn baby
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

We came to attend a new admit open house at SUNY new paltz. Our room was 2nd floor, back - about 100 feet from the thruway. On top of that - at about midnight a group of a dozen girls were heard in the hallway entering a room. After about 20 min of doors opening and closing and loud talking, my husband asked them to quiet down. They said they would and after a few minutes we heard them again and then a good 30 min of doors opening and closing over and over. Very unpleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2011

#7 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
America's Best Value Inn
America's Best Value Inn
#3 of 5 in Highland

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz? Share your experiences!