“From King's Landing to Winterfell You Won't Find A More Hospitable Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Paltz
Hungry Ghost Guest House
Ranked #3 of 8 New Paltz B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed at this magical place for the first time in April 2013 (see my original review). I recently had to good fortune to be back twice in a short period. The Hungry Ghost can be anything you want it to be. There is beautiful scenery, cozy rooms and great conversation just waiting. In addition, there is a whole lot going on just minutes away. You can hike the rail trail, visit Mohonk or shop & dine in town. Or you could just stay on the premises and soak in the hot tub, read a book or talk with your wonderful hosts. Petra and Michael are special. The best part is that it seems to be effortless. They are-simply put-very special. I love staying with them and I can't wait for my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RMFrank
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2014

getting ready for another season of GoT! hope you will be here again to usher in the season with us. It is always a treat to have you stay with us. See you in a couple of weeks.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hungry Ghost in the fall of 2013. Petra was very helpful with suggestions of what to see and do in the area as well as places to eat, based on our tastes. Petra and Mike had just the right balance of being available for questions and leaving you privacy, so you didn't feel you had to make conversation if you didn't want to. The breakfasts were both delicious and unique. They were cooked fresh, with healthy ingredients. It was probably a good thing Petra didn't offer us bigger portions, but we had the feeling that it was just enough, rather than abundant (breakfast is our favorite meal of the day). The outside shower was a fun experience. Perhaps a couple cobwebs could have been brushed away, but I guess it's hard to keep track of that since it is outside and therefore exposed to nature. The room was very comfortable and spacious, with flip flops and bathrobes for the outside shower (or hot tub, had we chosen to use it). One of the face flannels, although it was obviously clean, had some stains on it, which was not very appealing. (To be fair, I could have mentioned this to Petra and I am sure she would have replaced it immediately.) We enjoyed one of the trails near the house, but didn't get the feeling there was as much choice of trails right near the house as we had thought from the reviews. It was, however, very special to arrive back in the late afternoon/evening and see deer in the wooded yard around the house! Overall, a very pleasant stay and we would recommend it.

Room Tip: The room at the top was very nice, but I found it disconcerting not having any curtains; it means yo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FloraRotherwood
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

I am happy that you still remember your visit with us last year so fondly.

You are certainly spot on with a few of your concerns. Yes, there are sometimes cobwebs in the amazing outdoor shower. The little creatures here are extremely industrious critters, especially due to the fact that we refuse to use pesticides - unless an extreme measure were to arise.(I am not even certain what that would be.) I do sweep down the shower and changing room regularly, as I also love to use it, but webs can be created literally in a couple of hours. The far reaching ones can be quite beautiful with water droplets on them with the sun shining through. Some guests have asked that we NOT touch them!

In respect to finding a stain on a face cloth, I deeply apologize, and you are right. I would have loved to have been made aware, and given the opportunity to replace it for you. We do work very hard to keep all of our linens stain free. We use eco-friendly products and specific spot cleaners, but makeups can be tough. In an effort to preserve all of our terry and bedding, and to keep it all clean and white for guests, we provide make up remover and cloths in the bathroom. Frequently, the cloths are necessarily replaced.

We easily access the rail trail which travels 14 miles north and 10 miles south reaching 4 different towns, Accessing the nearly 100 miles of trails of Mohonk Preserve and beyond can be done directly from the house as well; however, you need to be particularly good with maps, directions and be ready for some pretty aggressive uphill hiking.... if someone mentioned a lot of trails in their review, they may have taken on this challenge.

We will also take into consideration your mention of the windows. They are west facing and do not get early light, but day does eventually break... a view into the room would come only from an owl, hawk or squirrel, but for typically non-woodland dwellers it may be a bit of a new experience :-).

Most importantly, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay, and that you are recommending us to other travelers. We hope that if you decide to make the cross country journey again, we will get to see you.

P.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

The Hungry Ghost Guest House is our home away from home! The owners, Petra and Mike are extremely friendly and welcoming. It is nestled on a road a short way off of the main strip of town. Their yard is beautifully manicured and has plenty of seating and an amazing hot tub. Any given evening, you can see millions of stars back there and any warm morning, coffee is great on the fluffy outdoor furniture! The rooms (there are three to choose from) are so comfy and clean and the shared bathroom is beautiful! Petra is an amazing chef as well. Even though my boyfriend and I are not vegan, every single thing we have eaten there (breakfast and dessert) has been delicious and revitalizing. Petra and Mike are so happy great for a conversation about anything including fun things to do in the area and nutrition! The town of New Paltz has a lot of restaurants, little shops, and hikes and walking trails to enjoy and the Hungry Ghost is a cozy, relaxing place to hang your hat and crack a bottle of local wine at the end of your fun-filled day. I highly recommend this bed and breakfast! We just love it!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole P

Thanks again for staying with us last summer, it was great having you and A. stay with us again. I hope your cooking is going well; I remember that you were very interested in food ;-). and lots of new exercise at the time! in the meantime, I will think about all the beautiful music you make. hope to see and hear you soon. p.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Called and they had availibility so was able to stay on short notice. arrived in the AM, Petra mapped out for us exactly where we wanted to go and gave land marks. We enjoyed the hottub late at night, it was beutiful. The town has alot to offer, shops with different things in each, Mohonk, and some of the best sushi I have ever had. Overall had a great experience.

Room Tip: we had the tree house-room number 3- if you prefer not to climb a spiral stair case then choose room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melissa s

thanks for staying with us. Always nice to know that the maps and suggestions hit the mark! looking forward to your return.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed just one night here on our way through the area, but enjoyed our visit so much. Petra and Mike have the right mix of welcoming and allowing you to make the inn feel like your own home. Others have mentioned the shared-bath, which was a non-issue for us, and Petra was clear about it when we reserved the room. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed. Breakfast was amazing, and the inn is very close to the rail trail, so we enjoyed a great walk before hitting the road. We hope to return for a visit one day, perhaps for a swim and stay!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz H

Your stay was just too brief! of course, you'll let us know when you are passing through the area again, even if just to say hi. p.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

The location is idyllic. The house is located near town (New Paltz) but you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. As we drove down the driveway, we felt our stresses vanish. The house is engulfed with nature.
We were welcomed with a cozy fireplace. The guesthouse is spotless. Every surface is clean. The linens are a pristine white. The hot tub is easy to use and a delight at night.
The house is a half a mile from the rail trail. My husband enjoyed morning runs on the trail while I took a brisk walk. We really felt like "we got away from it all."
The breakfast and coffee in the morning is a "disco of heaven." Petra is wise with nutrition. She is also a wonderful guide. She had many suggestions that fit our personalities. Per her suggestions, we went to the waterfall in Lake Minnewaska State Park and on a rainy day, we went to Olana. We enjoyed both adventures.
Hungry ghost is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ricemuncher

The Disco of Heaven.... I can't thank you enough either, for your amazing suggestion for my dining experience near your home base!... love when we all share ideas and pointers. all good, as they say. We will let you know when we are headed your way again. p.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife & I stayed here back in 2010 and again earlier this month (Sept 2013) this time with our two boys ages 8 and 5. Petra and Mike are great. It's very relaxing there and they treat you like family. Petra made DELICIOUS breakfasts for us both mornings including getting up at 5 a.m. on Sunday to accomodate us (and the other guests as well) before a big triathlon. My boys are still talking about the pancakes. The rooms are clean and super relaxing. Heated beds are a really nice touch. There are beautiful glass pitchers in the room to fill up with the filtered water which is especially delicious there. Mike and I went on a nice run on Saturday morning on a nearby rail trail which was right off a postcard. Green, lush, and scenic. I would stay there again in a heartbeat and frankly I'm looking for an excuse to go back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the rooms on the first floor... both are clean, cozy, with nice natural light.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your very lovely review. What a weekend! It was so heart-warming to be a part of a very special weekend for your wife. She was, and is, amazing!!! Any plans to return to the Shawangunk Mts and the SOS triathlon in the near or distant future?

Each year we seem to fill up with the SOS athletes. I love getting up super super early (just this once) to feed you all lots of sustaining food, and then have time myself to head out to the course and cheer you on.

stay well, my best to the boys; they too are pretty incredible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Paltz
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Hungry Ghost Guest House? Share your experiences!