“Paradise hidden in the woods”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Paltz
Hungry Ghost Guest House
Ranked #3 of 8 New Paltz B&B and Inns
“Paradise hidden in the woods”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted a quiet, overnight retreat in the country. This was the perfect place! Surrounded by woods, very quiet. Rooms were very comfortable. Vegan breakfast was delicious. Petra was extremely accommodating and helpful when we had questions about the town/activities. The outdoor shower was amazing. Definitely recommend to a friend!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank MeggAndRobbie
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
What fun having you visit. the enrgy that you brought with you was infectious. I am so glad you decided to try the outdoor shower: the look on your faces when you came back in was priceless. till the next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Hungry Ghost Guest House is a gorgeous getaway for those seeking adventure or a peaceful retreat. My boyfriend and I live in New York City and were beyond pleased with our vacation in New Paltz. Petra and Michael make you feel right at home and offer the best New Paltz activity guidance. Petra also showed us how eating vegan can make you feel great and taste delicious. We stayed with them months ago and we are still talking about her breakfast. We can not wait to get back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley B
I love when i get to host guests solo, midweek! It was a pleasure to host you and we hope you get a chance to get away here again soon. P.
brooklyn
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Finding a quiet escape just outside of Manhattan for the weekend can occasionally be a daunting task. Travelling to New Paltz, however, can be quite the treat to those looking for a pleasant weekend away from the frenetic pace of one's own work schedule.

Contemplating a last minute weekend away back in April, my boyfriend and I made our second visit to The Hungry Ghost Guest House, home of Petra and Mike Trunkes. This will most certainly not be our last.

Petra kindly picked us up at the New Paltz bus station, after which she reminded us of some of the guest house's offerings: the unlimited tea selection, outdoor hottub, outdoor shower, as well as our cooking lesson scheduled for the following day.

Our room offered a lovely skylight, with a view of the woods that surround their gorgeous property.

As proper coffee drinkers, I must say the coffee here is always incredibly delicious, and Petra consistently assures that our mugs are refilled and that our bellies remain happily full.

Brunch is always a pleasant surprise, from a raw granola one morning to vegan "crepelettes" (Petra's own interpretation of crepes), the next. Each breakfast is prepared from scratch, and is inspired by the freshest and most in season local produce.

After a nice hike into town, we returned to a stellar cooking lesson, which is quite a bold statement, considering my boyfriend defines himself as the opposite of a vegan. Having visited these past two times, he's now compelled to create vegetarian renditions of otherwise meat-heavy dishes with freshly inspired ingredients.

Petra has an appreciation of food that is infectious, and her knowledge of vegan cooking is quite extensive. She is happy to answer any questions one might have, and I'm always very impressed with how she addresses each inquiry with more suggestions on how to incorporate healthy ingredients into one's diet. While she herself is a vegan, she gently shares her experiences in adopting this lifestyle. Her practices are never forced upon you, though you certainly want to become a better eater after being exposed to her positive energy and peaceful demeanor.

If you have the opportunity to schedule a session with her prior to your visit, I absolutely recommend that you do so. You will not be disappointed.

All in all, a visit to this gorgeous hideaway leaves me feeling inspired and revived.

We love to visit with Petra and Mike, as catching up with them is like chatting to familiar old friends with whom we just pick up where we last left off.

We are counting down the days until our next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cat g
What an adventure of coincidences we shared: the film, the people.... i can't wait for the next adventure you have planned here in September! You bring a reflective calmess with you every time. see you soon.... but not too soon, let's enjoy summer first!
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 24, 2013

And quiet was what I got! When I first arrived, no one was at the house to meet me but that gave me a chance to look around. And I was very happy with what I saw. A beautiful, warm and inviting home set in the peaceful woods. I stayed in the room with the skylight. It's advertised as their smallest room, but to me it was perfect. After a day of climbing at the Gunks in the Mohonk Preserve, a hot shower and a heated bed was what I needed. And I appreciated that there were no tv's in the room. I stayed two nights and both breakfasts were absolutely delish. The first morning Petra made me a crepe using Garbanzo Bean Flour with non-dairy cheese and spinach. The second morning Petra made her vegan pancakes with bananas and non-dairy chocolate chips topped with cinnamon apple slices. What a devine breakfast! Mahalo nui loa Petra and Mike!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lovena H
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thanks, L. the change in you was dramatic from the time you arrived - all wound up and moving hundreds of miles an hour - to the time you left. You were calm and mellow and completely full of peace. It was a wonderful transformation to be a part of.

I know that you weren't at all concerned that I arrived on site a couple of minutes after you did, and, as you know, it was me who was off a bit on the time you were arriving; you did make better time than you thought you would. I know that you weren't at all concerned, but my sincerest appologies... by your review, and in your case, it may have worked out best !

mahalo! and when Hungry Ghost goes Hawai'ian, You will be among the first to know!
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Ultimate escape from the city,peace and quiet. Beautiful home and property,check out the outdoor shower! Mike and Petra are incredible hosts and make you feel like an old friend. Breakfast was out of this world, chocolate chip pancakes smothered in fresh syrup!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephen H
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Over the past four years, you have helped to elevate the pancake standards. as always, thanks for staying with us. Don't be a stranger!
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I arrived at the Hungry Ghost for a food and hiking break. We stayed in room two which had a lovely skylight that illuminated the space beautifully. In addition, the bed was heated so we were able to leave the windows open and enjoy the light cool breeze and wonderful wildlife (think turkeys, birds & crickets) while staying cozy throughout the evening. The house is really beautiful but the real attraction is the outdoor space. The house is set within a cedar grove which provides a fresh and awakening aroma. The woods are set back enough from the house allowing the sunshine to spill across the home yet far enough away to keep the bugs at bay. The seating was extremely comfortable and the outdoor shower was incredible. I could likely go on and on about the awesome frogs in the pond, the delicious breakfast,location to mountains/town and the library chock full of books. Wonderful experience!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nikkihv
A long drive and great food at Lagusta'sbrought you to New Patlz, and we are so glad they did! It was a pleasure and we are thankful that you made it back to the midwest safely. You have inspired us to get into the car and go!
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Easy trip from NYC - lovely accommodations and host. The food was exceptional and the hottub was a super bonus. Petra made a delicious birthday cake for my fiancé at no additional cost Whig was very sweet since I took him here for his bday weeken. Would come back.

• Stayed May 2013
it was a pleasure to make your boyfriend's birthday a little more special. thanks for staying!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Paltz
1850 House Inn & Tavern
#1 of 2 in Rosendale
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hungry Ghost Guest House? Share your experiences!