“Pretty good but could have been less $$$” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hungry Ghost Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Paltz
Hungry Ghost Guest House
Ranked #4 of 8 New Paltz B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Pretty good but could have been less $$$”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We enjoyed the services and company. It wasn't exactly what we had expected but we were pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and peaceful the atmosphere was. Only downfall: Anyone can go in your room at any time as there are no locks on the doors and therefore, no real sense of security. We did not like this aspect but the people in the home seemed trusting for a first impression basis. I suppose we could have kept our valuables in our locked car if we really felt the need but we didn't.

Also, there is only one bathroom but luckily we were not in a rush to leave the home and it wasn't being used by the other 4 people when I needed it so it wasn't a big deal but i could see how it could be. Don't expect much privacy at this guest house; we did find the other guests to be pleasant and not overbearing so that was important but I imagine that if you don't mesh, well, good luck. There is no obligation to "hang" with others but based on the atmosphere and lack of privacy, there is a good chance you will end up doings so. We did not mind.

Petra's cooking is great as is the outdoor shower which she insisted on trying. We were glad we did! If you are lucky enough to get the hot tub to yourself, it's a bonus but I imagine it is a popular aspect of the house so it could be in demand. If you don't mind sharing, that go for it!
We definitely recommend staying at the Hungry Ghost if you want to try something a little different, however, I think the price per night is a little steep for what you are actually getting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
For one reason or another, we always seem to have the pleasure of attracting wonderful, caring, interactive and respectful guests to our home.

The hot tub is open 24 hours a day and may possibly the reason no one ever has to share the warm, non-chemically treated luxury, the same goes for the outdoor shower: everyone loves it, and every one shares. Simply put, it always seems to work out. I think it is a testiment to our amazing guests!

this young couple (very pleasant and excited about their weekend) was concerned about their limited funds before booking their travel. She took quite some time to make the decision to travel do to limited funds.

We provided not only the amenities listed on our site, including an organic full vegan breakfast, on site parking on over 20 acres of quiet woodlands, hot tub, unlimited hot tea and filtered water, outdoor shower, maps of the area, full conceirge service and more, but also a home made organic birthday dessert free of charge, all for the price of less than staying in the local chain motel.

Most importantly, and I am not certain how this could have been missed: Our rooms have always all had locks, and keys are always available.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have had the good fortune to stay at some of the finest hotels in the world but as I get older (and slower) I have come to value authenticity over opulence. Staying at the Hungry Ghost Guest House is like visiting good friends who want to spoil you rotten. The house itself is charming, cozy, lovely. The surrounding landscape makes you want to stop and inhale its beauty. The hosts-Petra and Michael-are warm, inquisitive and generous with their space and their time. My only regret is that my stay was so short as I was making a quick trip to see my son at SUNY New Paltz for his birthday. Since my husband couldn't join me due to business commitments, I decided to treat myself to something a little bit different from your typical hotel/motel. However, nothing could have prepared me for The Hungry Ghost. When I arrived, Michael was on the roof and Petra was puttering in the kitchen. Both stopped to welcome me and show me around. I was told to make myself at home and take advantage of all the comforts the house has to offer. This includes "do it yourself" tea in the kitchen, use of the outdoor hot tub and burrowing in the comfy sofas complete with a warm blanket. There is even a library upstairs if you forget your book. The room I stayed in was delightful and the bed even comes with its own heater. The one reservation I had was that all 3 guest rooms share a bathroom but luckily, I had it all to myself. However, now that I have experienced Petra and Michael's hospitality, the bathroom issue has become a non-issue. In another happy twist of fate, when got back from taking my son and his friends to dinner, Petra joined me on the sofas and we got into some great conversations. In no time, 3 hours had passed! She is an amazing woman and I feel privileged to have shared that time with her. Oh and did I mention the mouth-watering vegan breakfast? I am a devoted carnivore but I am now considering asking Petra for a cooking lesson the next time I visit. All in all, I am glad my son is only a freshman so that I will have plenty of opportunities to return to The Hungry Ghost Guest House.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms and they are all beautiful. The only thing you may want to be aware of is tha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RMFrank
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
I am excited that your son is only a freshman too! When you return, it will be like family coming home. The time passed all too quickly. Hope we get to meet your husband as well.P.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had such a replenishing, inspiring and calming stay at the Hungry Ghost Guesthouse. Petra and her husband are incredible hosts. The way they open up their house to travelers seeking to find peace and nature is just very unique and humbling. The breakfast was unbelievable - a recipe by Petra. She picked us up from town and brought us to their clean quiet home surrounded by nature and some nice rock in the back garden. They are close to the mohonk reserve and not far out of town. They even have a jacuzzi they encourage guests to use. It is definitely a place we will come back to. There was so much love, tranquility and generosity in the house. What a pleasant stay. Thank you!! And we hope to see you again :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. Your enthusiasm was infectious! You inspired me as well, and I eagerly await your return. P.
New Providence, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We experienced some spur of the moment good luck this past holiday season when we stayed at Petra and Michael's Hungry Ghost Guest House. While we were attracted by the advertised vegan breakfast ( a delicious homemade feast which would be an interesting alternative for any health conscious traveler ) , the atmosphere Petra and Michael created was as warm and inviting as the breakfast table. We can heartily confirm what other reviewers have noted : Petra and Michael are the consummate hosts, both interesting, and genuinely interested in their guests. Petra was very helpful in sharing food preparation tips and local travel ideas. Michael took extra time after breakfast to show our daughter, a competitive swimmer , the swim training facility they have available. My daughter was both impressed and inspired by Michaels's experience and encouragement. We look forward to a return visit and thank them both for a wonderful memory of the last couple of days of 2012.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We called on a last minute whim and were more than pleasantly surprised by every aspect of this place. Peaceful, friendly, beautiful and even a little magical. I am writing this 6 weeks after our stay and the impression still remains. As well traveled New Yorkers, I imagine we can be rather particular in our needs to feel comfortable and safe. The Hungry Ghost nailed it !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pitman, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The setting is beautiful, the house itself is very well kept, and the level of activities astounding. But what my wife and I discovered was that Petra and Michael really set this place apart. From greeting us upon our early arrival to constant attention to detail they really were the consummate hosts. They are not "over bearing" but they are "involved" which makes for a sense that they care about your stay. We also liked the sense of communal living that permeates the place as you get to know your fellow house-guests over your stay. Our original selection of the hungry Ghost was based on the food aspect it provides. My wife and I are fairly new to the process of eating very healthy wise choice type meals and so we welcomed the opportunity to immerse ourselves in this environment. Wow, are we ever so glad we did! The information and direction we received from Petra and the food we enjoyed all weekend was incredible. When you go you must have Petra make up the gluten free Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes, trust me, you will be glad you did. One more hint, if you are able to sign up for the additional cooking class do it. It is very beneficial and fun and also another opportunity to glean some wisdom as well as enjoy a spectacular meal. Great place to stay and my wife and I usually go to a place and then move on...we will definitely be coming back to the Hungry Ghost Guest House.

Room Tip: Can only speak for the upstairs room that we occupied...no problem at all.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gary c
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've been staying at Petra's B&B twice, and has recommended it to everyone I've come across ever since. This is such a perfect, peaceful place, and Petra's natural hospitality makes you feel instantly at home. New Paltz is only an hour+ away from Penn station which means you don't need a long-weekend to get out of town. The house is quietly located on a large, secluded plot of land with a pond, comfortable outdoors seating and plenty of squirrels and deer. The Jacuzzi on the terrace is a great way to end a long day of hiking/running/horseback-riding. The living room has a deep couch, blankets and a fire place, the beds are heavenly and the nights are quiiiiiiet... I hope to be back soon, and if you're going: Lucky you!

Room Tip: The large room upstairs is absolutely gorgeous. But they are all of very high standard.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Hungry Ghost Guest House? Share your experiences!