“Hungry Ghost”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Paltz
Hungry Ghost Guest House
Ranked #3 of 8 New Paltz B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hungry ghost with good friends and had a wonderful, relaxing and delightful time. The house, hosts, view and ambiance were fabulous. Photos do not do justice of the lovely gardens and exterior of the house, nor the beautifully decorated interior. Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 757suzannejj757

Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I met up with old friends at this beautiful bed and breakfast just outside of downtown New Paltz and had a wonderful weekend hiking, biking, and swimming around Mohonk Lake, but most importantly, getting away from the hustle and bustle of our crazy work lives. The winter photos simply do not do justice to this beautiful property which is nestled within woods - the only sound at night are the crickets and bullfrogs and it's very quiet during the day. Petra is a lovely host and Michael, her husband, is there when needed (I broke a glass and he whisked it away with neither acting as if I'd done anything wrong). They open their home, the back porch, the hot tub, the back yard with a hammock and relaxing chairs by the lovely pond. The beds are comfortable and the breakfasts are healthy and delicious - although if you expect eggs, sausages and tons of bread, this is not the place for you. Petra suggested a great restaurant for dinner (Main Street) and a wine store as it was BYOB. We all agreed that we'll try to stay there again the next time we're in the area - we may even try the winter with some cross country skiing!

Room Tip: Upstairs is the largest with an air condition but the downstairs rooms, while smaller, are next to t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2012

As I pulled in to the property and made my way up the long driveway surrounded by forest I knew I was in a special place. The house is nestled in the forrest. Very private and peaceful....As I sat in the backyard I only heard the bullfrogs in the pond, watched dragon flies hovering over the water and the ring of crickets. There are endless trails for hiking or running. I did an hour run on the trails around the Mohunk Mountain house. Petra and Michael Trunkes are lovely...Petra's gulten free chocolate chip pancakes filled my up after my long run. And I slept like a baby in Room No. 2 with nothing but the sounds of nature lulling me to sleep!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend hiking trip. The area was lovely, as was the house. Petra was welcoming and her cooking was homey and delicious. However, there were a number of problems that made our stay a bit unpleasant. One was that she was weird about guests drinking wine in their rooms because of her white bedding. Obviously, we are paying you to stay there and people tend to have a glass of wine or two on a romantic getaway, so don't have white sheets! The other was that there were EIGHT guests and one bathroom. This proved very inconvenient for showering and sometimes to even just use the restroom. I have no issue with sharing bathrooms, but usually B & Bs make sure there is one bathroom for every two or three rooms. While there were many good qualities to the Hungry Ghost, I would not stay here again because of the bathroom situation, and her weirdness about what guests do in their rooms.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DCBNY
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I am very pleased that our guests enjoyed the food, the area and the warm welcome. I am a bit confused as to the remark regarding the shared bath, however. Our website lists the rooms as having a shared bath. We are fully aware that this feature is a "make or break" for some travellers and fully understand. It is our utmost desire that travellers get the experience that suits them best. As we only have three guest rooms, it is impossible for more than three rooms to share the facility as the reviewer stated. In addition, we can't accomodate 8 guests as the reviewer was quick to add.

We offer breakfast at anytime in the morning from 8 am to 11 am - unless otherwise requested, not only to alleviate the "morning rush", but also that guests may plan their days without being rushed to a specific breakfast seating. As an added bonus, in the warmer months, we offer an amazing outdoor shower with hot and cold water, a changing room and showerhead for one or two. It is one of the most enjoyed features at our property as guest can shower under the stars or in the warm sunshine while looking out into the forest. Robes and shower shoes are supplied.

As to the red wine in the guest rooms: This is not a strick policy, as it coud not be enforced in any way. It is merely a mild request on our part due to the loss of several sets of luxury bedding throughout the years. Guests are supplied with wine glasses, a bottle opener, as well as room in the fridge for their beverage of choice. We open the house to all areas of living and guests routinely enjoy their wine in the library, living room, dining area, porch, patio and hottub.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

What a fabulous and memorable experience! We, a party of 6 (3 from Hong Kong, 2 from New Jersey and 1 from Baltimore), were so pleased to spend 5 marvelous days at the Hungry Ghost Guest House on a recent trip to New Paltz. It was holiday gathering with friends and family. The reviews about the location and organic vegan breakfast were what made me book our stay and I was glad to say that they were right and even beyond my expectations. I could not have been more happy with my choice. The place was immaculate, relaxing, tastefully decorated and most of all peaceful. The library upstairs added a homey touch and it was next to my room. I stayed in the tree room with generous windows overlooking the lovely woods view.

Bed and linens were super comfortable that made me feel at home. Having a cup of tea and relaxed at the stone patio is probably the best place to enjoy the wildlife sights and sounds that surround the property. You will soon find yourself recharged, Petra was so helpful in suggestions of places to see and eat. She fed us hearty breakfasts with fresh and local produce that made us look forward to the next morning. The food was tasty, healthy and beautifully served. The blueberry and chocolate pancakes were equally awesome and they were absolutely the best we've ever tasted.

I agree with all the good things said about Hungry Ghost Guest House and its owner, Mike and Petra. This guest house is truly a gem. You will not be disappointed!

Thanks Petra and Mike for a lovely experience and all of your hospitality. Love from the Hong Kong visitors, Angel, Grace and Aurora.

Stayed May 17-21, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Angel C
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My son and I take a mother/son trip every year. We like to explore new areas and hike and bike, eat good food and stay at an interesting b & b. If you are interested in any of these options... don't hesitate to come to the Hungry Ghost Guest House in New Paltz.
Petra is a kind and gentle hostess. She will guide you in anything you need: bike trails, hiking options and of course she can direct you to restaurants (both vegetarian and non--so don't worry).
Petra has great energy and you can watch her cook in the a.m. and get great ideas, or chat w/ her and learn her cool history. The bfasts are awesome (don't worry you won't miss non-vegan food!)-- !!!
Highlights of her place: bfasts, a great tea selection, sheets are super soft and comfy, OUTDOOR SHOWER (there is one indoors too) --trust me--sooooo fun-- you can see hawks and nests. My son loved it too!
New Paltz has great hiking, biking, a quaint downtown, and fun restaurants....
We loved the Hungry Ghost and would highly recommend this inspiring b & b.

Room Tip: If you have to use the restroom several times a night, (as I do!) I would definitely choose Guestroo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the B&B and had a wonderful time.
Petra, our hostess, has been extremely friendly. It was very nice to chat with her while she was preparing a delicious vegan breakfast and she took time to give us recommandations about the hikes in the area exactly corresponding to what we were looking for.

The place is hidden, quiet (a deer was having her breakfast less than 5 meters away from us on the first day), beautifully decorated with some added luxury like a bath tub (to be enjoyed at night, surrounded by fireflies!) and outside showers (on top of a regular bathroom) which really make a difference.
Everything is very clean and our bed even had a heating system.

Every detail seems to have been thought through and Petra does her best to respond to the guest's needs. Life seems to slow down as soon as you enter, so if you want to get up at dawn, have a quick breakfast and run, forget about it. Instead take time to sit on the porch or talk to Petra, Mike or the other guests, enjoy a long breakfast and head out for a day hiking, biking, rock climbing, etc. Everything is quite near and even if the entrance of the parks isn't free, it is definitely worth it.

We hope to go back soon!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
Journey Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Hungry Ghost Guest House? Share your experiences!