“Great fun hike!”

Mohonk Preserve
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in New Paltz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mohonk Preserve is the largest private nature preserve in New York. The Preserve protects 8,000 acres of the Shawangunk Ridge and inspires people to care for, enjoy, and explore the natural world. Preserve lands are open sunrise to sunset every day for hiking, climbing, biking, skiing, horseback riding, and nature study. A current membership or day pass is required to access the lands. Admission to the Visitor Center is always free.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Perfect views of the whole preserve. Highly recommended to go when there is peak foliage. the view is just amazing.

And it's a short 90min drive from NYC. great day trip.

Definitely do the labyrinth and lemon squeeze trail. Great fun scrambling over rocks to add to any hike.

1  Thank ancyancy

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Mohonk Preserve offers superb hiking in scenic and rugged terrain. Mountain climbing and mountain biking are also common activities at this private nature preserve in Ulster County, New York about 90 miles north of New York City. The visitor center at the south end of the Mohonk Preserve on Rt. 44/55 has a small number of exhibits as well as bathroom facilities. For non-members, a day use fee can be paid there. Hiking is my preferred recreational activity, and a family member and I had a very nice three hour hike to the top of the Bonticou Crag cliff at the north end of the Mohonk Preserve over Labor Day weekend. The rugged forest trails at the Mohonk Preserve are well marked, and the hike to the top of this cliff rewarded us with outstanding scenic views.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

You've got to walk the 6 mile loop staring on the OverCliff trail connecting to the UnderCliff trail. Amazing views of the Catskills on OverCliff and so many rock climbers to watch on the UnderCliff trail. We did the loop in just over two hours, but you might take a bit longer as you stop and watch all the rock climbers. Great hike! Trails maintained very well. We would go back on our next trip to that area. Lots of other trails to explore.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

What an absolute gem for nature enthusiasts or those simply looking for a place to clear their minds when wanting to get away from it all. Scenic and immaculately maintained trails... highly recommended.

Reviewed May 18, 2011

I love Mohonk! I've been going here every year since I was a kid on my family's annual camping trips. We have never stayed overnight in Mohonk Mountain House because it's very pricey, but the day hikes we have done are always amazing. We always come in the summer, so even when it has rained, it's been a great time (as long as you're wearing durable sneakers or watershoes). The Rock Scramble is one of my favorite things in the world, and the views from the top of the mountain are breathtaking. We always try to pack a lunch because there isn't a whole lot in the way of food, but there are water fountains in a few places on the grounds. There are too many things at the preserve to list, so I'll just say if you're interested in hiking, boating, spa treatments (massage, mani/pedi), flower gardens, and generally gorgeous scenery, go here!! A warning about the horseriding though, the horseflies are huge here and they do bite the horses and can make them buck. I didn't fall off, but too scary for me...