“Very Good Food inadequately staffed”

Nanking - New Hyde Park
Ranked #30 of 105 Restaurants in New Hyde Park
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We were a party of 5 adults and a child on a Friday afternoon..and there were only 2 servers. We actually felt bad for the staff ..but the food was fabulous and the manager was quite apologetic. Maybe it was just that day that things went wrong...but the food is great, ambiance is good and prices are even greater...would definitely go back!!!

Reviewed February 16, 2012

this has got to be the worst service I have ever had. PERIOD! After waiting for 30 minutes before a waiter came to our table, the food took over 1 hour, half the order was wrong, and they did not bother asking us how spicey we wanted it son most was taken home where we promptly put it where it belonged...the garbage can! Give me a Big Mac over this manure any day.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

Love the crispy lychee duck. Indian menu and Asian menu with lots of crossover dishes. Full bar. Elegant decor, bargain lunch

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I'm still trying to figure out if this is an Indian restaurant or a Chinese restaurant. Either way you're handed two menus. We ordered tikka masala and pad thai. Sounds dangerous, right? The pad thai was good but not great. The tikka masala had a delicious sauce but I could have sworn the chicken was originally part of a Chinese dish based on its flavor and color. Basmati rice was $6... The whole meal was $30, which to me was too much. At least there the atmosphere was cool, which was a nice departure from the hideousness that is Hillside Ave. Would have been a good place for romance had it not been for the excessive amount of children.

1  Thank jumbos
Reviewed December 29, 2008

The Saturday after Christmas brought us to long Island on a shopping trip. As evening approached my stomach was making weird noises, clamoring for attention. A quick search on the iphone brought up Nanking a Thai restaurant supposedly. Our first very pleasant surprise was the restaurant has its own parking lot and a fairly large sized one too. Upon entry we were promptly greeted by an attractive smiling hostess and were promptly seated. While browsing through the menu my wife picked out a dish that I could not see on mine. Upon further examination we were surprised to see that we had completely different menus. Mine consisted of Indian food while my wife and daughter had a menu of Chinese/Thai food. It than became clear- this was not a Thai restaurant but rather an Asian fusion restaurant. I should have guessed, as Nanking is a city in China. Of course they could easily have been referring to the King of Nan !!! Our waitress, Shubi, was pleasant, spoke excellent English and went over the specials of the day. We ordered drinks and water was provide together with some Papadam to nibble on. I had cocktail of pomegranate juice, Gray Goose Vodka and some liquor- I believe it was called the Mandarin but don't hold me to it. Our appetizer orders were first taken and I had the Papaya salad, our daughter had the Chili Paneer and my wife had the Spicy Lemon Coriander soup. The food so far was excellent well spiced but not burning hot. We cleaned out our plates. It was three quarters through our appetizers were we asked if we were ready to order our main dishes. Other ethnic restaurants need to take note - this is the proper way to do it, not to bring in the main entree before having a chance to savor the appetizer. I had the fried Lamb with Chili, our daughter had spicy Haka noodles and my wife had the Coriander Garlic Chicken. Our waitress talked us into getting Vegetable fried Rice for which we were glad. The food was spiced right according to instructions (mild for our daughter, medium for my wife and extra spicy for myself). Halfway through we figured we should get something for our son in Connecticut. We therefore ordered Chicken Tikka Masala and Two Nans for him. He indicated later that the Nan was obviously freshly made, nothing like store bought and the Chicken was so good he wanted to spread it out over two days. so he could enjoy the taste longer !1. We could not have handled desserts and did not look at that menu. The restaurant is tastefully appointed and clearly a place one would not hesitate bringing a special date or a business associate to. We were very satisfied and plan to be back.