“Sumo is much better”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 13, 2010

My husband and I wanted to try Mitsuba. We've been to Sumo several times and loved it, so we thought we'd try out the "other" New Hartford Japanese Hibachi place. The atmosphere was nice, but the service was lousy and the food was mediocre. We made reservations for the dining room, not the hibachi, but the menu included the hibachi items as well. I figured we didn't need the hibachi show, but I like the food, so I tried to order a hibachi meal (which we've done at Sumo with no problem) and was told "No - you can only order that in the hibachi area." Okay, disappointed, but fine, whatever. Then I tried to order the duck - "No - that chef isn't here tonight, so you can't order anything from that section of the menu." What?!?! So you give people a menu and then tell them half of it is off limits? I'm willing to spend money here to enjoy some food, but you won't sell me what's on the menu?!?! So fine, my husband ordered a Thai dish and I got the teriaki steak - both were mediocre at best, and not much of it. Lesson learned. We'll stick with Sumo.

1  Thank NevaUpstateNewYork

Reviewed September 2, 2009

A fake (gizou)Japanese "Sushi" restaurant run by Chinese who think they know how to do sushi. It's Ok for this area especially since there are no authentic Japanese restaurants here. You probably have to go to NYC to get really good sushi. This seems to be a trend where Chinese businessmen set up shop as a "Japanese" restaurant because they have saturated the whole world with Chinese restaurants. Sumo is the same set-up as well, and they are building another Mistuba on Seneca Tpk. I guess if you don't know any better it doesn't matter so they can get away with this in Utica, because all orientals look-cook alike to most people here.
The food was OK, the rice was not "gohan" Japanese rice, but cheap Chinese rice-yuk.
The girls were pushy and wanted the plates back before we were even done-they must not have enough plates, the beer glass had clorox in it.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook