“Great Spa”
Review of New Age Health Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Neversink
New Age Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Neversink
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I just spent a week at New Age and I have no idea why the last reviewer was so negative. I thoroughly researched a variety of spas before choosing New Age and it was clear to me that there would be no alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine. My room was rustic, as many are in the Catskills, but nicely furnished and more than adequate for my needs. The heat worked fine as did the hot water. I believe that the food was wonderful overall, but it did take some getting used to if one does not normally eat so healthfully. The range of programs from Tantric Aerobics to Walking Meditation were wonderful. I would only add that it would be nice to have some of them in the evening as they were geared more toward the early riser. The informational lectures in the evening were helpful and all of the spa treatments were first rate. I went for rest, relaxation, and to jump start my fitness goals. New Age was perfect for all of these. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank TLutz

Reviewed August 5, 2005

I have just returned from a "mini-week" stay at New Age Health Spa in Neversink, NY (south Catskills). The stay was horrible. I will never return, and will urge my friends and anyone else who will listen not to waste valuable vacation time and money at this place.
We encountered the following issues in our 5 night stay:
-Upon entering past the security gate, guests are greeted with the following (paraphrased) sign near a trash barrel: "Please deposit all sugar, candy, alcohol, drugs, caffeine here." Throughout the grounds and/or in guest rooms there are NO SMOKING signs and reminders that caffeine and alcohol are strictly prohibited. Not a huge problem in and of itself (although I did sneak in some real coffee!) but my first impression was one of mandatory re-hab not a relaxing spa.
-No staff were available in the front office when I arrive at Sunday night, 6:00pm, to check in. I wandered until finding the dining room, and was told by waitstaff that I would have to wait until 7pm to check in, as "staff were eating dinner."
-Our room ($2540 +tax for the stay) was dark, with only one small window overlooking the parking lot. The shower stall was so small that I was forced to shave my legs in the sink. The pink walls and fussy bedspreads did not seem to match the Spa's self-purported aim of simplicity & relaxation.
-There was no adequate climate control in the room. Air conditioning was on at full blast, and the first night we froze, even with windows open (as suggested by the staff) and extra quilts. We requested our vent closed, and turned on the baseboard heaters... which then would never shut off. Our room was over 95 degrees (the highest point on the thermostat) for an entire day. Maintenance did not seem to believe that there was a problem with the heat, and insisted it was hot because we had requested our AC vent closed.
-After complaining, we were moved to a room across the hall, much nicer (although same price category), with a big window overlooking the grounds. Unfortunately, this room had no hot water and, despite multiple complaints, we did not get hot water for the remainder of our stay (3 days).
-The pool & yoga facilities were quite lovely; unfortunately, neither the indoor nor outdoor pools opened until 10am. The spa facilities were clinical (pale green tile on floor, ceilings & walls in every room) and not quite clean. During my massage I stared down from the massage table at an unkempt pile of dusty wires.
-The services (massage & pedicure) were well done and the therapists pleasant and competent. The rest of the staff (front office, wait staff, instructors) ranged from surly to merely incompetent. One housekeeper and one yoga teacher were very pleasant exceptions.
-There was no consistency in the classes; Hatha Yoga was offered every day, but one class was excellent and enjoyable, one the next day, with a different teacher, was miserable. I thoroughly enjoyed Tai Chi... which was offered only once in the week.
-Lastly, the stay included all food; three meals daily. The food was unendurable. Several people at meals told me that the Spa was essentially a "reducing" spa, although the website seems to position it as a relaxation/de-stress spa. There was no variety in meals... in 4 days that we had meals there, the same exact fish dish was served twice for dinner, the other two dinners were similar chicken BBQ. The salad bar consisted of exactly: greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, shredded carrot and shredded jicama every day. Breakfast was similarly static - fruit, oatmeal, toast, hard boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese.
There were many small aggravations... waiting 20 minutes for silverware... the one pepper mill broken and the waitstaff simply saying "that's all we have"... not being able to do anything during the dinner hour as every facility is closed so the staff can eat. Simply put, the experience was miserable. I am more stressed now than I was when I checked in. What baffles me most is that, for every person we heard complaining (about the room, about a bad massage, about a class) we heard from people who were on their 4th or 5th visit and simply loved the place. For the life of me, I cannot understand why. I could not recommend it less.

• Stayed: August 2005
42  Thank kmportero

Been to New Age Health Spa? Share your experiences!