“Labor Day Weekend”

The Heron
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Narrowsburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Heron will be temporarily closed starting February 22 & reopening Friday April 7!
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My partner & I stepped into The Heron on Friday (Labor Day Weekend), the reviews looked mostly good and we thought we would give it a try. We made reservations 3 days before and ended up running an hour late. We called and told them we were running late and they saved a table for us on the back deck. What a gorgeous location, overlooking the Eddy and the majestic Delaware river. We had an amazing time. The food was excellent (I was an Executive Chef in NYC for 25 yrs, and I like to believe that I know good food :)
I had the Chicken Liver Pate with toast points as an appetizer (delish) and my partner had the oysters (they were briny & fresh).
We had a bottle of wine that was inexpensive ($30) it was a good selection and didn't break the bank!
We shared the deck with a group celebrating a birthday and they looked like they were having a blast.

Our entrees came out in a timely fashion (I had the Fried Chicken which was as good and succulent as any I've ever had) and my partner had the Skate (also wonderful and perfectly prepared). For dessert we shared a bowl of fresh peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. We met the owner and found her to be everything a host should be!! My many years in the restaurant business have given me a good BS detector, and I found none here!!

"The Heron" is an amazing find; this restaurant would do well in any neighborhood in Manhattan or any other "foodie" neighborhood in the boroughs...

PS: We heard they make good "homemade" corned beef hash so we went back for brunch on Sunday and we weren't disappointed! The corned beef hash was BETTER than good and the spicy Bloody Mary was made with FRESH horseradish!!! They remembered us and treated us like old friends. We will certainly find an excuse to go back to the area again to eat at The Heron......checking the concerts at the Bethel Arts Center for the fall as we speak!!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were desolate when the Main Street Cafe closed. We loved watching the eagles soar
over the river on the sunny back deck and the food was good. The french fries: were always great. We decided to try The Heron for lunch on a Thursday with some trepidation. We couldn't imagine that it would be as good as our old friend. Well only the french fries can be missed.
The deck and dining room are fixed up. The chicken apple onion and brie sandwich was great. The Mac & Cheese was yummy. My friend raved about his reuben sandwich and my other friend said the cheeseburger was delicious. We'll be back to try dinner soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I can't imagine driving from NYC just to eat here, but it was very good. Four of us went for dinner. Three loved the fried chicken said it was delicious! I ate a rosemary roasted chicken with amazing mashed potatoes! We also shared for appetizers coconut shrimp and wings which were also very good, just wish there were more. The cosmos were excellent and the service was also very good! We were staying in area, renting an amazing house from sylvania tree farm.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this place. This is more than just a good restaurant in a small town, this place is a destination restaurant. I've met people who have driven from NYC for the day just to eat here. And it's worth the drive. I've eaten here numerous times and the food is always outstanding. The dinner menu has a gastropub vibe with some comfort food items, each taken up a notch and prepared exquisitely. My current favorite is the salmon, but the chicken liver mousse is a must for an app. The brunch is also off the charts -- try the crispy eggs or the corned beef hash. The decor is sort of country chic; it feels like a hip brooklyn restaurant in the middle of the country. The beer and cocktail list is like finding an oasis in the desert. This place has changed the town for the better and the owners seems to have a genuine commitment to working with local farmers. Keep it up Heron!

2  Thank Docranium
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Inside OK, but the river view from the Deck is awesome! A mating pair of American Eagles with there nesting area within view sets the stage. Excellant Kitchen with country flare. Try the Corn Beef Hash made with NYC style chunk Brisket, just like Moma used to make. Great Bloody Mary's
With a unique twist. Excellant expediant attentive Service. A keeper.