“Rich and Courtney's Paranormal Exp.”
Review of Shanley Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Napanoch
Shanley Hotel
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was my (Courtney's) first time to The Shanley Hotel in Napanoch NY and I can say it was quite the experience. We ended up staying in Marguerite's room with a lot of strange happenings going on around us. We had the hotel to ourselves out of a stroke of luck and were able to debunk things a lot easier than if we had gone with a group. Great EVP evidence and use of the spirit box. The feeling that you get when you enter is very welcoming thanks to Sal and Theresa, who are wonderful hosts, that can share their own paranormal experiences and fill you in on any questions you care to ask. Can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: Every room there seems like a good room, Rich stayed once before in The Rose Room. Whatever room see...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited the Shanley recently for our first ever ghost hunt. Initially hesitant we were instantly calmed by Sal and Teresa's openness and hospitality. During our stay we witnessed flash lights being turned on and off in response to our questions, foot steps heard from areas of the hotel nobody was in and voices heard and recorded also responding to questions. The scariest encounter occurred at 6 am the following morning in Margarite's room. I woke up to use the bathroom and realized I did not turn the recorder on to capture anything while we slept. So I turned the recorder back on and went back to sleep. A few hours later we were up and listened to the recorder and heard a distinct voice ask "What did you bring me". We are still spooked over that but can't wait to go back with more people and show them all the wonder that is the Shanley hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmyoung143
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Whether or not the Shanley Hotel is for you, and whether or not you will enjoy your stay all depends on what type of accommodations you have in mind. If you're looking for a four-star hotel with all sorts of amenities, a restaurant, bar and fitness center/pool, you may want to book someplace else. However, if you want to stay in an historic building which is in the long, difficult process of being restored by a small team of devoted family members and friends, and help contribute to its restoration by booking a room there, this is your kind of place.

The best way I can describe the accommodations at the Shanley would be a family-owned and operated bed & breakfast type hotel, with an intended audience of those interested in paranormal investigating. Sal, Teresa, Jim, Amy and others work hard at what can only be described as a true labor of love to restore the hotel, including hand-painting the designs on the wood floors, and the lengths they go to in order to capture the look and feel of the period is pretty amazing. Yes, with the exception of one room which has its own bathroom, you will need to share a bathroom in the hall. For one night, I don't find this a big drawback, and have stayed in other bed & breakfasts with similar situations. The place is really clean, and there's a well-stocked supply of toiletries in case you forgot to pack your toothpaste or something. I have both asthma and allergies, and I did not experience the smell of mold that others have mentioned, and I usually smell mold and mildew immediately. My bed linens smelled like they had been freshly laundered. Smoking is allowed on the porch outside, and if people are out there smoking, you may smell it to a small extent, as with any other place.

The Great Room is generously supplied with unending coffee, and snacks - including some of the most delicious chocolate chip cookies I've had in a long time. In the morning, there are bagels, more coffee, donuts, and other breakfast items that were set out and ready before most of us were even awake. If you're looking for something more substantial, there's a General Store next-door that makes really good sandwiches for a very affordable price.

There's no reason that you couldn't stay there if you weren't interested in investigating spirit activity, but keep in mind that there will be investigations going on until the wee hours of the morning, which may impact your ability to sleep. I slept very comfortably in the Silent Room. It does get a bit chilly in the winter, but that would be the case in any old building, my own apartment included.

On a personal level, Sal, Teresa, Jim and Amy are super nice, and do everything they can to ensure that you have a pleasant stay. I traveled up there from New York City by bus to New Paltz, then taxi to the hotel. Sal was very helpful throughout, providing me with bus information for my return trip via Short Line, which picks up literally around the block from the hotel. I now know what "Flag Stop" means:-)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol M
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our group consisted of 4 members of our Paranormal Investigation Team from Syracuse, NY, and we had the place to ourselves. The owner and his family live in the Hotel but they were more than respectful of our team and created no contamination of material. It happened to be one of the coldest nights of the year (Jan. 4th, 2014) so the hotel was cold, but the owner worked hard to keep it warm and supplied more than enough blankets, kerosene heaters and space heaters. He even contacted us ahead of our visit to see if we would rather reschedule due to the extreme cold temperatures. If you're going to ghost hunt you will love the Hotel and its "family-style" approach. If you're there looking for pampering and luxury, you may be out of luck. Overall, I am giving this Hotel a 5-star review. Beds were very comfortable, host was great, and the night was intriguing... Perfect.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Babs0117
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My 11 year son and i stayed here saturday night as his christmas present. We had an amazing time. At four am my son was playing ball with Jonathan in Jonathans room and dolls with Rosie in her room k. Both are spirts that actually rolled the ball back to him. He loved it so much we are going back for his birthday with a friend at his request. He wants to sleep in Rosies room. I am sure he will be up all night. The place is so clean and the hospitality is excellent. You feel so welcomed. During the entire night there are snacks, and coffee left out to munch o. No you do not sleep much here. Too much to see and explore. We had to leave early in the morning for my sons soccer tournament. There was coffee and breakfast ready prior to our leaving, My son is still on cloud nine at all he experienced and can not wait to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine779
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Community bathroom for several Bedrooms. Mattresses are uncomfortable. place smells like an ash-tray. if you are there to ghost hunt , good luck- so many people talking that your evidence will get contaminated. it's cold in the winter , owner hates to give heat. NO real food there unless you bring it in yourself. Bedding is stale smelling. Far from everything . Across the street from a government apartment building( section 8) loud kids yelling and screaming on the streets. WIFI service cuts off a lot - Not organized well at all.

Room Tip: Choosing a good room ? Yes.... go to another Hotel -
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Patty W
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Nice people , the smell of mold is all around the house especially in basement and third floor . I went with many believers which seemed to feel things . Which I believe its 100 percent in there heads. The people that confirm this place are going expecting things to happen . Truth is building is very old . Floors aren't level so they make noise , and the home is creepy ..and the guides tell u activity the most activity happens between the hours of 2am to 5 am .. Which happens to be when people are tired and delirious , the mind is a very powerful thing , there is no ghost here .. If there was it is 2013 ,,, they would have things on camera , solid proof , things always happen when cameras are off , come on ..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Robert M

Been to Shanley Hotel? Share your experiences!