“the worst place to stay”

Days Inn Nanuet Spring Valley
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
Reviewed October 31, 2008

No one should waste their money staying at this hotel. I thought that I would save a few bucks and stay here vs. staying at a hotel that cost $40 bucks more. The savings wasn't worth it. The room we stayed in was in the very back. It was scary and very run down.
Our room had such a synthetic smell, as if someone had sprayed an entire can of Lysol scented with potpurri. The carpet was mismatched in some areas and the entire place felt dirty. If you can avoid it, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2008

I booked this hotel for a last minute trip to the Hudson Valley and because it was a Days Inn, I assumed it would be ok.. I should have known something was up when I saw a dead skunk sprawled out on the sidewalk outside the property... we arrived early and the hotel person told us the room wasn't ready and to come back in 30 mins... - 45 mins later - he said something, couldn't understand a word but it sounded like it was ready because he passed the keycard to me. Driving into the parking area, I noticed a small dead rat near a cars exhaust pipe that was parked in front of the Indian restaurant - but it was hot, really hot - so I tried not to think about it... anyhow, we ge to the room and there were dirty towels on the floor, bed messy - obviously the maid service hadn't been...

The hotel looked like it was plucked out of a 1970s trailor park and plopped down next to the hwy. The room lighting was terrible, their free wireless internet was non-existent, on both days I tried to use, I swear, they turned it off. The only bonus thing was the microwave/fridge - it was hot and with the dog, thank g-d there was a/c.

If it wasn't for my dog, I would have picked up and left right away.. anyhow, what a dump - if you want a place to get strung out on and don't mind the dead rodents or skunks, or crack heads who probably use this place - go for it... - and they have a pool, and some fitness place somewhere, I wasn't brave enough to explore the property.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The hotel staff was very unfriendly and barely spoke english. The outside of the hotel is old and dirty. We stayed in the first building and were not satisfied at all. There was no air conditioning in the hallway or private bathroom. The hallways smelled of smoke and were not clean. Our room was located on the second floor, next to the storage room. The storage room door was left open and it was gross. As we entered the room, the air conditioner definetly worked but I'm pretty sure it previously leaked. The room smelled old, musty and moldy.

Outside is very dark and I would think twice about staying there alone or going out at night.

FYI - There is an Indian Restaurant, Taal, in the hotels parking lot. We did not go in but it smelled good.

There are other hotels in the area: Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, Hilton Pearl River.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Guest Services guide in the room said pets were $8.00 per pet per night. The manager charged me $20.00 PER pet PER night for two small dogs. My AAA discount $79.00 a room hotel turned into a $119.00 a night hotel. They claimed that CORPORATE set the pet rate and that they were awaiting reprinting of the guest services book with the (severely) increased pet rates.

Days Inn Corporate had given this hotel a 5 sunburst rating I would give it a 2 sunburst rating based on the following:

The whole place in general was very rundown looking and in need of a painting. Many of the interior and exterior portions of the building were chipped and dented and dirty.

The Ice machine was located down the outside corridor. When I got there the door was ajar and when I pushed it open on the floor in front of the ice machine was a 50 lb bag of ice melt. To the right of the ice machine was a LARGE storage closet with a padlock on the door. The door was what looked like clawed apart, the top half was off the hinges the padlock was broken but still hanging on the door. Inside was filthy and damp where there was stored a folded up rollaway bed with the sheet still on it.

In my room there was an incredibly poor repair patch of the green and red dotted carpet. The patched in piece had long shreds of carpet all around the edges stuffed into the missing hole. . There was no key to the in-room safe. The radio/alarm clocks time was flashing, and when I went to set the time and alarm I discovered that the button to move the radio on and off and set the alarm was broken off and you could not slide it to any position from off. The walls all around the area where the table was were chipped and smeared with black lines. The arms of the chairs looked like someone had taken a small hatchet to them.

Right outside our room was a door labeled “Supply Closet”. Each of the two mornings we were awakened at about 7am (I didn’t have to get up until 8:30am) by the maids who would unlock the supply closet take their cart and sit on the floor talking and laughing and squealing in front of our door.

The ‘Complimentary “newspaper available at the breakfast bar was the previous day’s newspaper. The breakfast bar both mornings had one of two cereal dispensers empty, an “out of Order” sign on the orange juice dispenser and only apple juice. They did have donuts, bagels and Danish with cream cheese and jelly, and butter available, and coffee. The maids did not replenish my Non-decaf coffee in the room after I used it the first morning, therefore making me get in the car to drive all the way around to the front of the property just to get a cup of coffee.

We didn’t have a chance to use the outdoor heated pool which we looked out on, however when we woke up Sunday morning someone had hung laundry ( yes regular clothes laundry not towels) on 3 sides of the white iron fence surrounding the pool. I thought I was in Tijuana!

When we took the dogs for a walk on the property and down near the back there was an storage shed and then there was an old VERY large Days Inn plastic sign laying on the ground in two pieces and filled with water collecting mosquito larva.

On the plus side, the bed was clean and unbelievably comfortable, the iron and ironing board worked, and so did the TV and channel changer. The showerhead was new and strong and the shower curtain new.

I Booked thru Hotel-Guides.com

Paisleyocean….

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2008

i am from the area but, my boyfriend isnt and i though it would be a nice night just the two of us. so we booked a night at days inn, thinking it woiuuld be quiet and romantic..as soon as we walked into the room it just gave off a real scary vibe, he kept telling me he didnt feel safe but i didnt pay any attention to it at first. when we walked in there was a vaccum cleaner on by itself and the floor was wet and in the corner you could see alot of blood stains. but still i said lets just stick it out, after that incident we relaxed, went to go get some dinner.... we went to go get ice out of the ice machine and it was broken; it seem really creepy in there so we went back to the room and locked the doors... still he didnt feel safe, so we agreed we really needed to get outta there before something happened. As we were packing to leave, i noticed a blonde piece of hair hanging from this hat right away we got the hell out of there. it seem t5o have been a murder crime in that room....as we were walking out i remember i forgot my charger, but as in the movies when ppl go back thats when things happen.......so we ran to the front desk and got the heck outta there........i didnt ask for a refund i didnt care to have the money, just glad we both return home safe but have a hell of a story to tell.
i wouldnt recommend this place to someone, even if they were only staying for 2hrs, it just gives off a really creepy vibe......

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2008

This is the worst scariest [----] i ever been too..too quiet ice machine dont even work i seen some big red spots in the carpet that looked like blood a piece of blonde hair.. as soon as i stepped in the room a vacuum cleaner was on but no maid or nothing thats some crazy [----] never again i didnt ask for a refund they can keep the money me and my girlfriend put are clothes on packed are bags stold the shampoo and clothes and left she forgot her phone charger i told dont watch movies stuff happens when u go back..ladies and gentlemen i swear to god this is no joke dont go to this hotel

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 17, 2008

My apartment flooded and I needed some place close to stay for the night. We were given a room in building 2. I never knew this building existed because you can not see it from the road. As this was last minute, we called to check the price. When we arrived an hour later they tried to increase the price by $20. After talking to the desk clerk he brought the price back down. The room we stayed in was "clean". It didn't feel clean but I can't say that I saw anything overt except that the comforter had two cigarette holes burned through it and there was a stain. I refused to sleep with the comforter on the bed. As building 2 is set up like a motel and our door was basically to the outside, when it was windy the door was moving back and forth to the point that I placed a chair against the door to stop the movement. As I live around the corner, this is generally a safe area, but I didn't feel safe here at all. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuet
Candlewood Suites - Nanuet
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nanuet
Best Western Regency House Hotel
Best Western Regency House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pompton Plains

Been to Days Inn Nanuet Spring Valley? Share your experiences!