“Worst customer service”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
northeast
“Worst customer service”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Truly a disappointment. I've been traveling 100% of the time for the past 7 years and stayed at countless Hilton establishments w/nothing but wonderful things to say about them. Being a diamond member I've come to expect a high level of service throughout the years and for the most part, have received it, which is what makes this so frustrating. I should point out that this hotel is individually owned but this is no excuse as it bears the Hilton name.

I stayed at the hotel for over a month w/other co-workers, spending close to $12,000 from late April to early May. My car was broken into early on in the trip, along with 4 other cars which should have been an indicator that I should leave but I trusted they would take care of things but never did. When I asked for a trash bag to cover my shattered window they obliged and also gave me a broom and dust pan and suggested I "sweep up the broken glass". I didn't feel safe leaving my vehicle in the parking lot after that so we agreed it would be okay to park just outside the lobby but this message was apparently never relayed as they called early in the morning(several times) to tell me to move my car. In the end, the GM stated he would knock down the room rate to the equivalent of a AAA rate for our entire stay and the others rooms I payed for but that still has yet to happen, along w/the Hilton Honor points that I've still never recieved(even after 4 phone calls to the hotel and the sales manager).

I won't bore you w/endless bulletpoints of greivances. I have nothing bad to say about the rooms or the property itself, it matches the Hilton standard. It's the extremely poor customer service provided by everyone from the rude wait staff to the apathetic front desk clerks to the lazy GM. I would never stay at this hotel or the Hampton Inn up the road ever again.

• Stayed May 2007
4 Thank colorworks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
ny
Reviewed March 10, 2007

I am relocating for a job and having stayed in Hilton properties all over the East coast I thought this would serve. It is clean enough and the fitness equipment is new. Now for the reasons I am disappointed - on the weekends there is music that reminds me of college - it pounds until after 3 AM. I don't know where it is coming from since there is no club in the hotel. The heater has on and on higher. There is no auto. The clock is broken and they told me there were no replacements. There is a Hampton in the front ! Access is tricky since you better know where the driveway is or risk getting on the thru-way. And there is a back outlet through the adjacent parking lot I found by accident that saves going a couple of blocks to the light. The traffic here is heavy.
Staff is not well trained and not too interested in helping. Overall this is the worst experience I've had with a Hilton property and I will be moving to one of the suite hotels next week.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank carolinaonmymind
New Hampshire
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Didn't reserve ahead, came in day of stay. Very nice and friendly staff. Reasonably priced, clean and nice. Looks like a relatively new place. Right near the Palisades mall & lots of other retail. Super convenient to the highway and very easy to find. I would definitely recommend. Have a nice, small bar & restaurant in the lobby which was great and also reasonably priced.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Qc
Reviewed May 4, 2006

This hotel is a good one to spend a few nights in this area. There's one big shopping center (Palisades center) and a huge outlet center (Woodbury Common Premium Outlets) in this region. Rooms are clean, hotel staff are courteous. I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 18, 2005

We were in Nanuet for a family wedding nearby. The place seems pretty new, and the staff were friendly and competent. We took a 1 bedroom king suite, which had a nice amount of room for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. Everything seemed fresh and clean.

Compared to Embassy Suites, which we've stayed at in a few other places, this HGI suite had certain additional things, and also lacked certain things. The main thing HGI had that ES doesn't in its 1 BR suites was a large table with 6 chairs. There are 2 decent sized closets, not just 1. My overall sense was that the suite at HGI was perhaps 30% larger than the normal 1 BR suites at Embassy Suites.

But while HGI has an area with a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker, there is no sink in that area. ES, in addition to the "kitchenette" sink, usually has a 2nd bathroom sink, often just outside the bathroom. It is really useful having the extra sinks with a whole family in the suite. Also, HGI did not have room service or free breakfast automatically included, which ES does. (Of course, ES is a more expensive, upscale chain.)

The pool was small but nice. The breakfast in the morning was not included (although it sounded like it might have been if we had a "package".) At the prices they charged, it was just a so-so value (my kids don't eat much.) It also felt like a lot of work, with long-ish waits at the grill, the toaster and the self-service waffle iron for hot food to be ready. For "free" it's fine, but since we were paying, I would have rather been at a regular diner.

Other wedding guests stayed at the Comfort Inn in Nanuet. We visited, and it seemed similar, but a bit older and noticeably more beat up. The staff members I happened to see seemed more harried. Breakfast is free there, though.

I was annoyed that neither the Comfort Inn nor the HGI had any adjoining rooms, even among the regular rooms. I would have liked to have had 2 bathrooms as well. (Of course, many of the ES's that we stayed at did not have any adjoining suites either.) What do large families do??? Building in some extra doors doesn't seem hard to me . . .

One final word of warning: the HGI in Nanuet is really difficult to find because it is not actually visible as you drive along Route 59! It is on a rear portion of a lot with Rt. 59 frontage. If you are driving on Rt. 59 West with excellent eyesight may be able to spot the tiny signs leading you to the nearly hidden driveway you must take. We were lucky because the hotel's large illuminated sign is most visible from the exit ramp we took off the northbound NY Thruway, and so we knew where it was -- we just needed to find a way in.

5 Thank RCWashington
Rochester, NY
Reviewed October 25, 2005

I thought this hotel was terrific. Good location right off the freeway, but not loud. Not far from shopping. Exercise room had machines that actually worked. I felt very comfortable at the hotel and plan to stay there again when I return for work. Nice and helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank CateRochester_NY
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2005

Absolutely the best hotel in the market.
Rooms are top notch and clean.
Staff was accomodating and friendly.
Indoor pool and spa was great.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuet
Hampton Inn Nanuet
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 2 in Spring Valley
Days Inn Nanuet Spring Valley

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Nanuet? Share your experiences!