“Good place, good value”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
Montreal, Qc
“Good place, good value”
Reviewed May 4, 2006

This hotel is a good one to spend a few nights in this area. There's one big shopping center (Palisades center) and a huge outlet center (Woodbury Common Premium Outlets) in this region. Rooms are clean, hotel staff are courteous. I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 18, 2005

We were in Nanuet for a family wedding nearby. The place seems pretty new, and the staff were friendly and competent. We took a 1 bedroom king suite, which had a nice amount of room for our family of 2 adults and 3 kids. Everything seemed fresh and clean.

Compared to Embassy Suites, which we've stayed at in a few other places, this HGI suite had certain additional things, and also lacked certain things. The main thing HGI had that ES doesn't in its 1 BR suites was a large table with 6 chairs. There are 2 decent sized closets, not just 1. My overall sense was that the suite at HGI was perhaps 30% larger than the normal 1 BR suites at Embassy Suites.

But while HGI has an area with a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker, there is no sink in that area. ES, in addition to the "kitchenette" sink, usually has a 2nd bathroom sink, often just outside the bathroom. It is really useful having the extra sinks with a whole family in the suite. Also, HGI did not have room service or free breakfast automatically included, which ES does. (Of course, ES is a more expensive, upscale chain.)

The pool was small but nice. The breakfast in the morning was not included (although it sounded like it might have been if we had a "package".) At the prices they charged, it was just a so-so value (my kids don't eat much.) It also felt like a lot of work, with long-ish waits at the grill, the toaster and the self-service waffle iron for hot food to be ready. For "free" it's fine, but since we were paying, I would have rather been at a regular diner.

Other wedding guests stayed at the Comfort Inn in Nanuet. We visited, and it seemed similar, but a bit older and noticeably more beat up. The staff members I happened to see seemed more harried. Breakfast is free there, though.

I was annoyed that neither the Comfort Inn nor the HGI had any adjoining rooms, even among the regular rooms. I would have liked to have had 2 bathrooms as well. (Of course, many of the ES's that we stayed at did not have any adjoining suites either.) What do large families do??? Building in some extra doors doesn't seem hard to me . . .

One final word of warning: the HGI in Nanuet is really difficult to find because it is not actually visible as you drive along Route 59! It is on a rear portion of a lot with Rt. 59 frontage. If you are driving on Rt. 59 West with excellent eyesight may be able to spot the tiny signs leading you to the nearly hidden driveway you must take. We were lucky because the hotel's large illuminated sign is most visible from the exit ramp we took off the northbound NY Thruway, and so we knew where it was -- we just needed to find a way in.

5 Thank RCWashington
Rochester, NY
Reviewed October 25, 2005

I thought this hotel was terrific. Good location right off the freeway, but not loud. Not far from shopping. Exercise room had machines that actually worked. I felt very comfortable at the hotel and plan to stay there again when I return for work. Nice and helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank CateRochester_NY
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2005

Absolutely the best hotel in the market.
Rooms are top notch and clean.
Staff was accomodating and friendly.
Indoor pool and spa was great.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 29, 2004

I had made a reservation for the Hilton Garden Inn in Nanuet online.
The reservation was for a non-smoking room confirmed, and a king sized bed in a "deluxe" room. In the notes column I indicated that I would be arriving at midnight.

I was happy to arrive at the hotel, and find an envelope with my name and my room key. However, when I opened the door of the room, it was a smoking room, smelling of smoke, with two double beds. I proceeded to go back to the front desk to inform the clerk on duty that was not the room I had ordered.

He was flustered. He was unable to use the hotel's computer, and told me to have a seat, while he checked to see if there was a room available. He proceeded to call the manager on his cell phone, and then to go up to each floor and see if there was a room available. After 45 minutes, he told me there was a room available, however when he showed it to me, it had the smoking symbol on the outside. I told him I did not want a smoking room. He said, "no smell of smoke."

During the 45 minutes, I called other hotels in the area, and found an establishment nearby with a non smoking room and a queen size bed.

I was deeply disappointed by the lack of professionalism of the front clerk, who was flustered and was not familiar with the computer to check whether there was a room available, and had to search the entire hotel, using a universal pass key to check rooms. I would strongly not recommend this hotel to any traveler, and would encourage you to find other facilities nearby.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuet
Hampton Inn Nanuet
The Time Nyack
The Time Nyack
#1 of 3 in Nyack
Days Inn Nanuet Spring Valley

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Nanuet? Share your experiences!