“All the comforts of home in a hotel”

Candlewood Suites - Nanuet
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
Staten Island, New York
“All the comforts of home in a hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Having to stay at a hotel due to winter weather for a few days, I chose this hotel because of the kitchenette feature. It was nice to have my own kitchen to be able to prepare meals and save money on expensive dining out and not having to travel in bad weather.

The room had a very comfortable feel to it, having a recliner chair was nice although it was tight in the corner next to the bed. The bed was probably the best bed I ever slept in in a hotel. The kitchen was equipped with what you would need to prepare a nice meal except there were no tablespoons. The full size refrigerator was nice and cold, except it cycled on rather frequently and was noisy. I could not figure out how to get the ice maker to work.

There is a commuter train that runs behind the building. I had read reviews on how noisy it was as it blows it whistle every time it crosses the road. I had specifically asked to be in a room away from the train and that request was not honored. But I did not know it until I had settled in and the train passed by and blew its whistle.

The reason for my stay was due to snow and I was disappointed that on the night of the storm, the television reception went out. I think the hotel should use cable service not satellite TV. The desk said they were aware and working on it, but the signal never returned. I did have my tablet with me and was happy the free WiFi didn't go out, so I was able to get my own updates.

I also found out that the preset buttons on the phone did not work, when I pushed the 24hr help button and nothing happened. So I had to go down to the lobby to inquire about the television situation and mentioned the button situation on the phone and was told that they are not hooked up and you have to dial 0 to get the front desk.

On the second day of my wintery stay when I returned back to the hotel in the middle of the afternoon, I found the parking lot was barely plowed out. A section in the back of the hotel was partially cleared so I parked there, but the alternate entrances to the hotel were not shoveled so I had to walk entirely around the property on icy/snowy ground to the front entrance. It wasn't much better the next morning, but luckily the sun was out.

Despite the weather related issues, I found this hotel to be a very comfortable, home away from home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Grace G
David M, Guest Services Representative at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hello SIGIRL_NY,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review!

We are happy to hear that you found our beds comfortable and the amenities within convenient, we aim to provide a "home away from home" feeling especially when inclement weather hits.

We sincerely apologize about the technical issues our television service experienced during your stay. Unfortunately, the severe snow storm did cause some signal issues and while we were in constant contact with our provider there was not much they were able to do until the weather improved.

The weather also had an averse affect on our cleanup ability. Our response time was longer than usual due to the amount of snow on that date. We are sorry for the inconvenience and are discussing ways to improve during severe weather.

We have taken note of your feedback and are very appreciative. All responses help us improve our hotel and your comments have been passed to the appropriate departments.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best Regards,

Dave M.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. I read the review before booking hotel and no one mentioned the hotel sits in front of the Amtrak train tracks!! I bit noisy on the back side of the hotel (where my room was) and the 5:35am train has a rather loud whistle! Person I traveled with has a front room and did not hear the train.

The bed was squeaky and the lounge chair was in pretty rough shape but I didn't use the chair. Shower was warm and parking was great and safe.

Room Tip: Stay on front side of hotel away from the train tracks behind the building.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FlyUsAway
Hendersonville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

We booked this hotel because it was less expensive than the Hampton Inn or other name brand hotels. The room itself was new and clean and lacked nothing for comfort. But, that said, when you first come into the building you have to be "buzzed" in. That was not pleasant. The desk staff in the evening and the morning were most helpful. But, the next time, I think we will pay another thirty dollars or so just to have that comfy, cozy feeling in the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Ask to sleep on the second floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Kathleen891,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the room accommodations you had. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had during check-in. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kennebunkport, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Hotel staff were fantastic and the room was comfortable but the heater kept turning over all night and the freezer was making a horrible noise which kept us awake all night. Dog friendly and the right location for visiting our family for a night but definitely not perfect. Needs a little TLC.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gail H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear GailHack,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear your positive feedback on our hotel staff and comfortable room accommodations. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and superior accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay in particular with the noise coming from the heater. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Positives: location, large room with kitchen amenities.

Negatives: disorganized and unhelpful staff. House cleaning service is nonexistent. I had to switch rooms twice because of cleanliness. The furniture in both rooms (chairs & couches) were falling apart They are in desperate need of a renovation!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank lambo448
David M, Guest Services Representative at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello Lambo448,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the size of our rooms and our overall location.

We are sorry that the furnishings in your room were not up to par. We are aware that some of our chairs are starting to show signs of wear and tear and we've already begun process of replacing them.

Our staff works hard to provide a top notch experience for all guests and we apologize that this expectation was not met while you were with us.

I have reached out to you via private message to hopefully have the opportunity to discuss your stay further.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again!

Guest Services Representative

Travelers are raving about these Nanuet hotels

Saranac Lake, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Had a reservation at Marriott around the corner for Saturday night..arrived around 10 PM and there was a huge party in progress there. Drove around and discovered Candlewood; decided to walk in and very friendly,helpful desk staff had a room available (and it was less expensive- and MUCH nicer than the Marriott.) Hallway rugs were a little shabby and only one elevator might cause delays at another time of day. Suite was very comfortable and bed really comfy. We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. Drove into city around 9 Sunday AM and arrived at son's apt. in 30 mins. via Palisades Pkway and Geo. Wash. bridge!! a great find..would definitely stay there next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank runner880
David M, Guest Services at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Hello Runner880,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.

We are thrilled to hear about you discovering us and that you were " pleasantly surprised" during your stay. It means the world to us to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and our staff helpful.

We appreciate the kind words and we hope to be able to welcome you again in the future!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at Candlewood while visiting our son who lives nearby. We stayed for a total of 3 nights. The suites are clean and comfortable. Each suite has a kitchenette with microwave, 2 element hot plates, a dishwasher and full sized fridge.
There are laundry facilities with washer and dryers which are free, which in my experience is unusual, but very welcome.
There is a small self service shop operating on the honesty system, where you can purchase soap powder, milk, frozen meals, drinks, basic toiletries, drinks etc.
The staff are helpful and friendly.
Wifi is free and available in your room.
An I room safe is the only improvement I would like to see. There are small deposit boxes available at reception.
If you have a car there are large shopping centers nearby.
Wood berry Outlets are about half an hour away.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for its facilities and reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello KesFrequentTraveller,

Please allow me to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review, we always appreciate feedback from our guests.

We are very happy to hear that you found our rooms "clean and comfortable." Our housekeeping staff works hard to make sure that each room is perfect for our guests. We also are happy to hear that you found our free laundry facilities as being "very welcome" and our Candlewood Cupboard® to be convenient.

We strive for our staff to provide outstanding service so to hear that you found them "helpful and friendly" means the world to us.

Again, thank you for your kind words and for your recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuet
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nanuet
#1 of 2 in Spring Valley
The Time Nyack
The Time Nyack
#1 of 3 in Nyack

Been to Candlewood Suites - Nanuet? Share your experiences!