“A Real Local Tavern”

Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Rockville, Maryland
“A Real Local Tavern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I grew up in upstate New York, and the one thing I miss living in suburban Washington, DC is there are no "taverns" here. The Nanuet Hotel is a all that is great about a local tavern. The place is cozy, unpretentious, serves good food and drink at a reasonable price and is full of locals. The pizza was excellent with an unusual thin cracker like crust. I definitely will make this my local when doing business in Nanuet, NY.

Visited January 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Angry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Paid 20.00 each for 3 pitchers of Yuengling for a grand total of 60 bucks and was told by one of the owners or manager that it was because its imported! Well Dude if you were back in Ireland drinking Yuengling then yeah that would be imported but here in the U.S. it's domestic. We were offered a free 4th pitcher but we were done and ready to go plus had to drive so no, offering us a 4th pitcher doesn't work. No offer to take it off the tab and oh here is the best yet, mug of Yuengling was 3.00 but the pitcher which equals 5 mugs was 20 bucks!! We kept telling the guy this but he could not wrap his head around the problem i guess he flunked 3 grade math and kept saying we should have ordered the pint to save money. Bottom line 3 pizzas and 3 pitchers of beer came to 100.00. Pitchers of beer in the city were much less. This was my Father in laws favorite place, he has passed and we were there to celebrate his life. We were sooo ripped off.

2 Thank Sunnybunns
“Great pizza and wings.... And don't forget the garlic bread Pommo parm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I'm always SHOCKED when I see a bad review for the Nanuet Hotel because I've been there about 2 dozen times and have NEVER had bad service or food. This place is absolutely delicious. Try the garbage pie, buffalo wings and garlic bread mono parm. You WILL NOT be sorry!

1 Thank Loonberry13
ericl1098
“Best pizza in Rockland County!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

By far, the Nanuet Hotel is the best pizza you can find! Wings are terrific as well. I've never left disappointed.

My family has been going there for over 40-years. I remember going to The Hotel for pizza when I was kid, and now we are passing down the tradition of taking our son there. Whenever family comes in from out of town, The Hotel is the first restaurant they want to visit.

The food is great, service is terrific, and atmosphere is tops. The owners are nice people as well, they are always friendly and greet you at some point during the meal. Yes, it gets busy and sometimes takes a while to get a pizza, but it is well worth the wait.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ericl1098
Ringwood NJ USA
“A Rockland County institution - consistently excellent for over 50 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I do not know what restaurant GregRac is talking about, but it couldn't be the Nanuet Hotel & Restaurant. I have been going there for ages and it is always the same - loud, noisy and boisterous (especially on Friday and Saturday nights) like a good neighborhood pub should be, with great food, friendly staff and attentive service.

It can take up to 50 minutes to get pizza pies from the kitchen, but they let you know that up front. They have Smithwicks on tap! And Stella. And Guinness. And a dozen others before you have to resort to bottled beer. Their pizza is legendary, and long a source of debate among Rocklander's over whose is better - theirs, Nanuet Restaurant's or Martios right down the street.

Their pizza is unique to this side of Nanuet - those of us who have grown up with it love it, and stop by again whenever we're 'back home'. I have yet to hear any locals say that the pizza isn't as good as they remember it. The rest of their menu is eclectic, as it's a combination of Italian restaurant and Irish pub, but it's all good and many items are remarkable - the fried ravioli is delicious, and they make a Buffalo Calamari (fried calamari tossed in a buffalo wing sauce, with fresh crumbled bleu cheese) that is simply exquisite.

Pitchers of draft beer are plentiful and cheap, soda glasses are large and they bring plenty of plates and napkins for sharing pizza or appetizers. Families and large parties are welcome and easily accommodated, and they even have a little alcove you can reserve called 'the Snug' that comfortably seats up to 8 and is a nice, intimate space to get away from the noise, or to make some of your own.

Some other area restaurants from my youth have changed owners and/or recipes over the years, and I find them lacking. Not so the Nanuet Hotel & Restaurant - it's as good as it's ever been, maybe even better since they added the back room and can accommodate more people. Even so , expect a line on weekends, and order you pizza first before the appetizers and drinks, so it comes out when you want it most.

• Visited June 2012