“Not worth the money”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I along with 2 other couples stayed at Kate's Lazy Cabin. I was really surprised by how run down the place seemed. The first thing we noticed was a musky smell in the place. I've spent my entire life going up to the country for stretches of time, so I understand that this happens after rain/humidity, but this was so bad that during the first night, one of the guests woke up having trouble breathing and had to be relocated the next day to a different room in the main building, about 15 minutes away from the cabin. If you are an asthma sufferer or have allergies, this is not the place for you. (I can say that the staff was very understanding and helpful in relocating my friend with the issue).

We were staying at the cabin to attend a wedding at Onteora Mountain House, so we were not using the kitchen, which I was thankful for. The appliances were all pretty run down. I like to cook and had I come to the cabin with friends planning for a weekend of making big meals and hanging out, I would have been seriously disappointed.

Also, the cabin sleeps 6, but if all 6 of us were hanging out at the cabin, there would not have been much room to do so. The living room has one couch which is on the small side and a long table with bench seating. For 6 adults to hang out in the living room two, maybe three, would have had a couch to sit on while the others chose between floor and wooden bench.

Had the idea not been to hang out in the cabin, but go out and explore, this still would not have been an ideal location. It is a pretty far drive from any attraction. For the money spent, I found no real redeeming quality.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bridget1978
There are newer reviews for Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great press and the quirky nature of the celebrity owner and design of the units persuaded us to pay top dollar for what we expected to be unique but top quality. We stayed 2 nights in the Lazy Lodge, a 2 bedroom cabin about 5 miles -- 10+ minutes -- from the motel itself. (And 10+ minutes in the 'wrong' direction if Woodstock was your destination). The location was terrific, though: nice stream flowing with the soothing sounds of nature. Of course, without A/C and pretty warm July temps, it's hard to hear the stream over the sounds of a 10 year old fan. The living room was very nice and inviting. OK, I'm done with the good stuff. Kitchen floor was warped, appliances almost charming, but just old; record collection suite was faux record player was atrocious. The bathrooms were on par with roadside motels costing $25/night. And we paid almost $400 a night!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brucemag
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We'd read the negative reviews, but hoped that the moaners were being overly fussy. They weren't. At the prices they charge you can't help expecting better service. Or at least some service. You have to hope that nothing goes wrong during your stay because you certainly won't get any help if it does!

We'd emailed to let them know when we'd arrive (4.30 in the afternoon - hardly a strange time to check in) but when we got there the place was deserted. Not even any other guests, so it felt quite creepy. There was an envelope nailed to the office door with the keys in - nothing else. No friendly note, just the keys, which seemed rather rude.

In the suite there were plenty of laminated signs with instructions: "Our cleaning ladies really appreciate tips" and "Don't forget to do your dishes" but nothing in the way of a welcome. Being British we went to put the kettle on to make some tea - it was full of coffee and a mouldy coffee bag. There was a dirty baking tray in the oven. The oven mitt was filthy and burnt.

The next day, as directed on the confirmation email we went to the office ("Please come to the office the next day so we may swipe your card and officially check you in - and say Hello!"). We walked in, said hello and that we'd arrived yesterday. The man responded by asking what we wanted. Didn't say welcome, didn't apologise for there being no one there when we arrived, didn't ask if we'd found everything OK, if the room was all right, nothing. We were the only people staying there for goodness sake! When I turned to leave he sprang into action wanting to swipe our credit card. Charming.

So overall I can't say we enjoyed our stay. The overwhelming feeling I had was of being ripped off. Things like the $12.50 a day added for internet, the one-month cancellation policy and the charges incurred if you leave a minute after 11am don't create a good vibe.

The decor was awesome though. To be able to use a turquoise Frigidaire (with pink interior!) and a matching push-button cooker was a privilege. The vintage lamps and furniture were extremely cool and the beds were very comfortable.

But I wouldn't stay again and I couldn't recommend it as it was so disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Spiggiewiggie
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Kate's Lazy Meadow a week ago in suite 7. Cute details, fun idea; but one very important aspect dampened my birthday visit: the sheets weren't clean. Now perhaps they were washed, but were stained. We decided to trust in that notion. Because no one wants to pay $300 for dirty sheets. We discussed bringing it to the attention of the staff (one person), but we lost faith in their idea of clean and choose not pursue it. The floor was dirty as well...an overall sign that 'clean' isn't what we were paying for.

It has so much potential...but clean sheets is a minimum.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank bunnikens
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed this past weekend at Kate's and had a wonderful time on our quiet weekend away from New York City.

My girlfriend and I had requirements: a place that accepts dogs, a full kitchen and great hiking nearby, and Kate's Lazy Meadow has all three. We spent the weekend cooking great meals, hiking in the hills with our dog, and generally enjoying our time together. I am a designer by profession and love that that this place has such a unique and considered vibe. This is far and away a better environment than the typical mountain cabin or run of the mill hotel. I bet it's really great in the summer when we can spend time hanging out by the creek out back and I'm sure we will return to check that out.

I reccomend this to anyone looking for a great stay in the area. Lazy in just the right way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris A
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The perfect spot for our weekend in the Catskills. We loved having this space to ourselves. Charming, comfortable and fun. We fell asleep listening to the sound of the passing stream. Large yard with firepit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a lovely stay with friends at Kate's this past year. It's a little overpriced for what it is, but rooms were clean enough, bathrooms were small but cute, there are Weber grills for guests to use, and a full teal blue kitchen. There's a market across the street that's 24 hours and takes credit card. The "hot tub" never got hot enough for us to use during our stay. The elderly gentleman manning the front desk was a bit standoffish and creepy, but he seemed nice enough and gave us vague directions to a local hike.

If nothing wrong happens during your stay, you'll be fine. If something does go wrong, there's no one there to help you. I'd rate this place five stars if it wasn't so expensive, but for the price tag, it gets a meh rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Windham
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel? Share your experiences!