“Not what it claims to be (bring your ear plugs and sense of humor to endure)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
New York City, New York
“Not what it claims to be (bring your ear plugs and sense of humor to endure)”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Our day started beautifully, a nice drive through the changing foliage up to Mt Tremper, some horseback riding at a riding club nearby, and a delicious dinner at Peekamoose. But then disaster when we came back to Emerson Resort at 7:30pm.

A rock band was playing on an outdoor deck attached to the resort restaurant apparently for a wedding party. We had the good fortune of having a room directly next to it. The music was so loud, and the room insulation so poor, I could hear it as clearly as if I were in the wedding party, only that I am not.

If it were just me, I might have suck it up and gone out for a drive. But I have two young children with me, a fact I told the hotel when I made the reservation and we also requested a crib for my two year old.

So the hotel clearly knew we are traveling with young kids, who need to go to sleep early. So why did they put us closest to a noisy party? No idea.

When I called the front desk to complain, did they offer to do anything? No. I was told the wedding party paid for the after party till 11pm and the hotel is full. Can they ask the wedding party at least turn the sound level a bit lower? No. Apparently at this place, you can so whatever you want.

They even kindly referred me to the email reservation confirmation that stated there might be event happening at the hotel.

Did the email or the reservationist ever mention to me that I should be required to listen to a third rate wedding band till 11pm while I tried to get my two young kids to sleep? No.

Should a nice resort which advertised itself as an escape from the noise from the cities host noisy wedding parties that disrupt all the other paying guests? I don't think so.

It is the false advertising and complete irresponsiveness that bother me.

If you like playing with the odds and gamble with your not-so-often family get away, then come to stay here.

But please do yourself a favor, pick some other places if you were looking for a country side experience in the beautiful Catskills.

I have traveled the world and stayed at all sorts of places from the low budget motels to the five star hotels, and this, I can confidently say, is the worst night ever.

• Stayed October 2013
8 Thank Explorenew
Emerson07, General Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
As you mention, the foliage in the Catskills is definitely a sight to see and the Emerson was completely booked this weekend with guests enjoying the scenery and attending a joyful wedding event. We do our absolute best to ensure all our guests have a wonderful stay with us whether they are coming for the outdoors, the spa, an event, or simply a place to stay for the night on their way to their final destination. You selected one of our largest suites to accommodate the number of people in your party. Due to the size of the suite, we have a limited amount of this type of room available. We were also happy to provide additional amenities at no charge to meet your room requirements. You are correct – we did state in your confirmation to please be aware we are a full service hotel and there may be special events taking place during your stay. And as you and I discussed during your check-out, your comments have prompted us to look into providing more information regarding special events during the reservation process. You may not have been happy with your stay at the Emerson, but we encourage you to return to the Catskills again to enjoy the natural beauty of all the seasons!

Tamara Murray
Lodging General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The service at this spa is amazing. We went this past summer for about 4-5 days and we got a summer discount on the rooms at the inn (which I definitely recommend if you are not traveling with family!). The rooms have an indian, bohemian feel to them, but the the jacuzzi and shower were just unbelievable. It's very quiet in that area of the mountains, but there is tubing and hiking very close to the inn. The spa services are great and so relaxing. I highly recommend the spa pedicure! All in all, it was a great summer getaway and I have no complaints :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We just returned from a most pleasant and peaceful 3 day visit to this outstanding resort and spa in the Catskills. Having a need to "get away" for a few days, this was the ideal choice. The hotel itself and our room had everything one could ask for. We enjoyed the first class spa and dined in each of their restaurants. We found the prices, particularly the restaurant prices, to be modest and an excellent value for the fine quality. Particularly noteworthy was the friendly staff. Every staff member we encountered made a point of saying hello and inquiring if we needed anything. That just made us feel welcome.

Room Tip: We had a suite that was like an apartment; it had 2 full baths; the bedroom was an upstairs loft. W...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Emerson looks brand new. The well-decorated and well-appointed rooms, hallways and bathrooms lack scratches, dirt or stains. All in all, it is a very attractive, quiet and well-run resort. The biggest complaint I have is that the pool is not heated. I was there in late September and the pool was absolutely freezing. It is so cold that it is dangerous! They should really consider installing a heater or, at the very least, a "thermal blanket" that will rest on the top of the pool to keep the water somewhat warm. Otherwise, the place is great.

Room Tip: I was in a couple-only area and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CuriousTravelGuy
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

That's what we did when we arrived at the Emerson and walked into our rustically splendid Lodge room! After days of Interstate driving from one destination to the next destination, this was our last stop before heading back to Canada and it was perfect. The drive to and from the Emerson is definitely picturesque. Upon arrival, we walked through those massive doors into the main lobby and were greeted warmly and professionally. With a smile and few words, the young man on the desk quickly told us everything we needed to know and sent us on our way to the second Lodge building. We opened the door to our room and were delighted beyond words. The downstairs living area was log cabin cozy and well equipped. We made tea, relaxed on the comfy couch and took in some tv before dinner. Up the log stairs was a bedroom with a big inviting bed, a wonderful bath with jetted tub and fluffy robes and a great little balcony. The many "cat" accents, the use of wood throughout, the huge high ceiling with its lazily rotating fan and the natural views added to the whole Lodge experience. We walked a few steps outside and had a delicious dinner at the Catamount restaurant, served by very pleasant and quiet serving staff. (After a long trip, sometimes we are weary of those enthusiastically talkative, in your face wait people.) The facilities here are extensive with a spa, an exercise room, a store, a café and the world's biggest kaleidoscope to name a few. Most would say that we took way too many photos by which to remember this stop, but we are enjoying looking at them still. The world is such a big place and there is so much to see, that we rarely consider going somewhere twice, but the Emerson is an exception. We WILL be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank harleyjourneys
Bennington, Vermont
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I visited my brother who was staying at the Emerson with his family. There are two sides to the hotel. One side is a more romantic, upscale, newer end and the other is a renovated log house end, catering to families and even allows dogs. What you can't see when you drive in is that the rooms face the back and all have patios that face a beautiful stone garden that is next to the river. He stayed with his family in the log house end and the back doors opened to this beautiful garden and sitting area by the river. The rooms were a good size and the beds were good (I heard from them). I met them for breakfast and we went to the restaurant which was lovely. We sat outside by the river and had a very good and reasonable breakfast. It was his wife's birthday and she had some spa treatments there, she was very happy with. The decor is elegant with a Eastern influence in the main restaurant and newer hotel area and the log house is a more rustic design but very tasteful.They had a lovely time and I was impressed as I had only seen it from the road and I had no idea how nice it was.

Room Tip: The log house end of the property is more for families and allows dogs. When they were there it was...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank sometime_traveler_9
new york
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Friendly staff at desk, helped me jump start my car so I could make it into town.

Our room in the inn was very large and had a lot of unique touches that made the room cozy such as a gas fireplace. Jacuzzi tub and room overall were spotless clean. Spa had all the basics, steam room and sauna were segregated into the locker rooms. Massage services were decent but not quite as as good as equivalent priced spas in New York City. Fairly convenient location to Woodstock, Kingston, and not too far from Kaaterskill Falls.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!