“Two very different places, one name.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I think a big part of the confusion and subsequent disappointment with the Emerson is the distinction between the Lodge and the Inn. The Inn is very modern, tasteful, lovely, and expensive. The Lodge costs less, is decorated in a very rustic manner, and accepts kids and dogs. They are next to each other on Rte 28. They share the same outdoor pool. The spa facilities are located at the Inn, as is the Phoenix restaurant. You can use your room charge at the Inn if you are staying at the Lodge. (There is nothing to put on a charge at the lodge.)
We were at the lodge in a junior suite with our 8 year old daughter and dog. It was okay; the rooms didn't seem completely clean and the advertised wifi service never worked in the room.
The resort is right on rte 28, so if you're at the "motel like" pool you can hear the cars going past. I don't think their website makes it clear enough about just how different these two properties are. The Lodge is a dressed up motel and the Inn is a contemporary and luxurious spa. The Phoenix restaurant was good, especially the Sunday brunch. The Kaleidoscope store was fun, as was the show. The Esopus creek is behind the hotel. You'll have a lovely view of a trailer and shack if you look straight across, so turn your chair to the side and enjoy the peace and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed July 6, 2008

what a fabulous resort!

the staff here is the best.

we made the mistake of booking on the lodge side, which is more family oriented and adirondack feeling. our kids are away in camp and we wanted a more adult only and high end spa feel.

shiona the wonderful front desk manager was able to work her magic and switch our reservation to the more chic inn side of the property.
shiona is terrific!
very personable, very friendly,
and accomodative to the max.

the inn is connected to the main resort and the spa.
it is drop dead gorgeous!

very chic in a buddhist temple kinda way.

the spa was awesome, my wife had 3 treatments including " the best massage of her life" - i even enjoyed my "shidokin" treatment alot.

overall the service in this luxury inn/spa is top notch.
very attentive, very friendly, very helpful.

the phoenix restaurant was quite epicurean.
beautiful morroccan (buddhist?) decor.
delicious food.
wonderful service.

the suite we stayed in was a huge duplex.
splendidly furnished and appointed with a fireplace, jacuuzi, robes, balcony, king sized bed made up for royalty, flat screen tv w/ built in dvd. this was a room out of lifestyles of the rich and famous.

a very friendly and nice bartender named john was nice enough
the write out directions for me to go hiking at klaaterkill falls about
a half hour away. if you like to hike - you don't want to miss this.

even though the breakfast is included, and it is quite nice - you must go to neighboring town of phoenicia and eat at sweet sue's.
trust me on this, you will never have a better breakfast- anywhere.

net net the emerson far exceeded our expectations.
the combination of the friendly and eager to please staff with
gorgeous buddhist temple inspired motif make this a very special
oasis indeed.

gonna tell all our friends to check this place out - will tell them to stay at the inn rather than the lodge.

ps another outstanding restaurant in the area is peekamoose.
the owner was the chef at the top rated grammercy tavern in nyc.

ppss if you like kaliedescopes go to the emerson's country store.
besides the marvelous free multimedia kaloedescope show
- they have the most impressive collection of scopes for sale
that i have ever seen!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2008

I took my wife to The Emerson Resort and Spa and stayed at the Inn (not at the lodge) for a surprise visit for our wedding anniversary. I decided to splurge and I reserved an imperial suite which is a two level room with two bathrooms, a sitting area with TV, and a deck downstairs, The bedroom is upstairs, which is terrific, because I always wake up earlier than my wife and I could go downstairs and watch TV without disturbing her! The fact that the room is bi-level made us feel like we were actually staying in a house rather than a hotel. The room was decorated very tastefully-everything is new, as they just reopened the inn last year. The downstairs bathroom has a jacuzzi and both showers have nozzles that spray water on you from both sides.

The inn is huge for only having 25 rooms and it often feels like there are very few people staying there. There are a few sitting rooms, a fitness center which was a decent size, and of course, the spa. I purchased a package which gave us a $200 credit in the Spa and included dinner each night (breakfast is complimentary). The spa is gorgeous and I probably had the best massage of my life there. My wife took advantage of a yoga class (also included in our package) and also got a massage. I should also mention that the customer service at the Resort is excellent-each person really seems to care that you have a good stay.

The food at the hotel is excellent. The breakfast options are rather limited, but the omelettes and fruit , yogurt, and granola were great. Dinner was also great and we were lucky to eat there twice.

The downside to staying here is that it is expensive, especially if you get an Imperial Suite. I wasn't particularly impressed with their lunch offerings. Either sandwiches, salad, or wraps all included the same few fillings. I had a tuna salad sandwich and wasn't impressed.

One other thing to consider is that if you don't have a car (which we didn't), you will be somewhat limited to do things outside of the hotel. The hotel staff is perfectly willing to take you to various spots nearby. However, if you want to go hiking, many of the spots are farther away and it would be better to have your own transportation.

Overall we had a terrific stay here and would come back in a heartbeat when we're ready for a treat!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Baltimoron
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I've always appreciated these reviews, so I thought I should add my own on the Emerson. My wife and I were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary, and were looking for a nearby place for an one-night getaway from the kids. We live outside of NYC, so we wanted to avoid the bridges to limit the uncertainty of metro area summer traffic delays. My brother recommended the Emerson Resort after passing by it a number of times. After checking it out online, I called and was able to get a one-night reservation in the Inn. This was a plus being that most other places I called required a two-night stay.

The drive up to the Emerson was painless. We made a detour to Hudson, New York for some gallery and antinque shopping (funky, retro but desolate), and then hiked the Kaaterskills Falls in the rain (memorable but slightly disappointing). We pulled into the Emerson soaked and tired, but although being just a little let down by the roadside setting along cars zipping by on Route 28, we were very pleasantly surprised upon entering. The check-in was easy with a very pleasant receptionist, and we were then led to our room, which was the higher end two-level Imperial Room, although we had booked for the mid-level Royal or Regal Room (I forget which one). A free upgrade, no questions asked! Plus some clementines and a hand written note welcoming and congratulating us on our anniversary. A small, but nonetheless, thoughtful touch.

The room was quite large, comfortable and tastefully decorated. There is a nice wooden deck out back that provides you some privacy and peaceful tranquility, which we enjoyed the next morning with our complimentary coffee and New York Times. The bed was large and so comfy, and there were not one but two bathrooms. We could have easily spent more of our time in the room and been perfectly content and rested, but we wanted to explore the rest of the Inn.

Just so you know, the Inn and the Lodge and totally separate from each other, so there is no concern about boisterous kids (like ours) running up and down the halls if you are looking for a romantic getaway like we were. We took a jog around the grounds the next morning and checked out the Lodge from its perimeter. It looks nice as well, but am curious to know what the overall appeal would be for a family looking for activity and area attractions.

We booked a couples massage, which was very relaxing with two very nice massueses (spelling?). I'm not a huge spa guy, so don't take my lack of elaboration to mean anything else - it was great! There is also a very good fitness room across the hall with a large number of modern Nautilus equipment, elliptical machines and treadmills. My wife and I took full advantage of it after our run.

The absolute highlight of our stay was the food! Although I knew we were staying at a nice spa, I honestly was expecting just fine food considering the area. I know that sounds like a food snob - we're really not. But I have to tell you, from the cocktails to the appetizer to the entrees to the dessert to the huge buffet brunch the next morning (which is free to guests, the brunch not the dinner), the food was fantastic. Very fresh, very creative and very promptly served by a very friendly staff, whether it being the hostess, the bartender, the waiter, the busgirl and the chef making our delicious omlettes the next morning. I don't normally rave about the food, but my wife and I just kept commenting about it.

One other thing - the Inn has an extensive video library, which my wife and I took advantage of, for free - which is nice that they don't charge for those sorts of things.

Just like our trip up, our trip back was painless, albeit uneventful. I have to say that although the area is pretty, it is sadly depressed with not much going on. There is some talk about the Emerson opening up a resort at Bell Aire ski area, with a spa, some restaurants and a golf course. Based on my experience at the Inn, I think that is a wonderful idea and I for one would certaintly take advantage of it.

Hope this was hepful.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ActiveDad
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I went with my girlfriend for a one night stay on a rainy cold night in May. When we got there they graciously updated our room for us. The room's are OK but a little pricey for what you get and for that area. Typical Adorondeck decor with bear and moose pillows. Watch out for the fish lamp when you plug or unplug your charger. You still still see the bruise on her head. We ate in the restaurant which was over priced and not that good. However it is the only place in the area that was open. All in all it was OK but I wouldn't return for the price they charged. $100 too much as they try to bleed you dry.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I booked a Friday/Saturday night stay, and then I read a few negative reviews on this site. All I can say is: Ignore the negative reviews.

My room was clean, well appointed, nice bathroom amenities, well maintained, nothing 'shabby' or 'cheap' was seen.

We did not use the spa, so we stayed at the Lodge section. Everyone was polite, the breakfast was great, especially the Sunday brunch.

Perhaps it was a bit expensive, but like I said, I did not take advantage of the spa/exercise equipment, etc. Me and my lady friend were there to hike and eat, and we enjoyed the Lodge at Emerson.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank localman12564
Reviewed May 26, 2008

someone else started their review with a ''where do i start''....they stole my opener! i don't usually do this sort of thing, but it is our duty as travelers to stick together.

just don't stay here, it is very weak. this is also one of the least family friendly places my family has ever visited. and i can tell you that this is neither resort, nor spa. if you knew me, you would trust me, trust me, this place is the pits.

gross water in the room, tons of human hair on the bed spread, oil stains in the headrest of the chairs, no curtains and blinds that looked like they had been chewed..this placed needed some tlc. bottom line is we split, and let the place keep our 50% deposit....which was generous. don't believe their website, believe the other reviews on this and other popular travel rating sites.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
#1 of 10 in Kingston
Diamond Mills Hotel
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Saugerties

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!