“Surprised and delighted!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Westport, Connecticut
“Surprised and delighted!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I probably can't say enough good things about our stay at the Emerson, but I qualify first that our stay was centered around traveling with a 14 month old border collie. We chose this spot because of its "dog friendliness" and in that regard it did not disappoint. Check in went smoothly. We were placed in one of the two outward building, "Grey Wolf" and "Red Fox" but the main hotel looked lovely with a spacious lobby and lots of pamphlets on area attractions. Woodstock is a great summer spot with lots of things to do. Our room had a first floor with a couch, TV, small eating table and little kitchen (Fridge & coffeemaker & sink.) Upstairs I was delighted to find a king size bed, balcony and a great size bath with a standing shower and a whirlpool tube. The sheets were great as were the pillows. The balcony faced the Esopus River and woods and had wooden walls on both sides so while you could hear people on the next balcony, you could not see them. Only complaint was from the tub faucet had to be run for a few minutes since the water started out brown. The grounds of the hotel are lovely, and of course, our favorite part was the enclosed dog park which had a space for small dogs separate from the larger area. There was even a bowl with a water hose. The pool area also was nice and quiet. We were happy to see that there weren't many (if any) children running around. There were, however, numerous other guests with dogs. EVeryone was always on a leash so that was fine. We had dinner on the patio in the back of the Catamount Restaurant (see separate review). It was a little chilly the night we were there, but the benefit of having a great meal with our dog under the table was a huge. It's an environment where sweatshirts and jeans are equally as welcome as nicer attire. All in all, we couldn't have been happier at the Emerson. Its close to lots of activities and shopping. Best of all, we found a swimming hole up on Rt. 30 where our dog could enjoy a cool dip while we picnicked on the rocks. We are sure to return for the Fall foliage.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Imtraveling4u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
NJ
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here for our 15th anniversary. Was relaxing, calming, beautiful. There was a wedding happening so the restaurant wasn't available for dinner but there are plenty of local places for dinner. Our room was gorgeous. The staff was so nice and caring. Spa was ok. Will be back, ps, we were in one of the suites. Loved it.

3 Thank NJ_Family_Team
Syosset, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We were taking a chance at finding a place when we set out on a drive with really no direction in particular. It was a gorgeous day with a forecast of the same for the next day.
We're from L.I. We just finished going to the light house in Saugarties ( beautiful and worth the easy hike) . We tried a very over priced place which was booked . The people at the desk then recommend The Emerson. I called and made reservations with a really lovely girl, Nicole. She was informative and I could tell she loved where she worked and was proud of the place.
We arrived and were so pleased with what we saw. Beautiful manicured grounds. The front desk staff was so friendly and helpful(Lee & Taylor).
The lobby is very zen like, as well as beautiful and peacefully decorated.
We weren't disappointed in any way. Food was amazing in both restaurants. Views were lovely. Rooms are spacious, beautiful and comfortable decor . Small balconies to sit out and look and listen to the stream. The back area could use a little TLC .Service was friendly and everyone couldn't do enough to please us.
We are planning to return soon for a longer visit to The Emerson and the Catskill region. We felt everything was priced well for everything we got. It has become one of or favorite "easy to get to" quick get away places.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank sidejobs
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Recently stayed here with my wife for 3 nights. We each had two massages and she also had a manicure. Our therapeutic massages were very good. The Jacuzzi was outside and the jets were not working. The men's steam room sensor was broken so I did not have a chance to use it. We stayed in the Royal Suite and the room was really nice with an exceptional hot tub/bathtub and rainfall shower with jets on the side. The king bed was comfortable, but the feather pillows did not provide much support. We had breakfast at the Phoenix and dinner at the Catamount, both very good. The first night we decided to get pizza at Brio's which is in nearby Phoencia and is excellent. We were disappointed by the outdoor pool in terms of size. Also there are not any hiking trails from the resort so that was disappointing. Overall a good stay. If you can get a midweek deal it is excellent in price. Also the place was not very crowded. If you go be aware that there is no cell service at least for Verizon. We will probably come back since it is only 2 hours away. We will probably check out Mohawk Mountain House first as meals are included and everything is right there.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alex W
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I wish we had done more research on this hotel instead of taking a friend’s recommendation. My husband was competing in a golf tournament nearby so we checked in the night before. I called before we left Manhattan to inform Emerson that we would be checking in late and inquired about dining options upon our arrival. I was informed that last seating for dinner was at 8:30pm and that there was no room service at all. Thankfully, this disappointing bit of info allowed me to come prepared – with a full array of snacks, sandwiches, water and wine.

Upon check-in we discovered that there is limited cell reception in the hotel and no reception at all in the rooms. Great! While this was a leisurely trip for my husband, it was a working trip for me. The next day I explored the hotel and discovered that Emerson hosts the world’s largest kaleidoscope. Oh joy! There’s also antique stores, café (which actually has good coffee), outdoor seating, a restaurant called Phoenix (which is only open for breakfast and has fully stocked bar that is ONLY open for private events), and an outdoor pool that looks like something you might find at a Super 8 Motel. There is another restaurant within walking distance called the Catamount. They actually make a nice martini and offer a beautiful outdoor area. If you go for drinks I highly recommend enjoying your cocktail in the gazebo. There really isn’t much going on as far as dining. Lunch isn’t offered at the two restaurants, however you can pickup pre-made food from the café. Your best bet is to drive 20 minutes to Woodstock for some dining. The spa is interesting. It's clean and offers an array of spa treatments. It also offers an outdoor Jacuzzi tub, the kind you could purchase at Home Depot. I was really hoping to enjoy some time in an indoor pool or Jacuzzi, but no luck.

This is an all-suite hotel. Our room was spacious, clean and offered a nice terrace. The bed was comfortable however, each morning my husband and I woke up feeling sick and congested. Not sure if it was from the ventilation or the AC. Definitely bring allergy pills or something of that nature. The décor was a bit eclectic and amusing. Not sure what the whole theme was, but it felt like Indian meets 1990s "chic." The room itself does not offer cotton balls, shower caps, bedroom slippers, etc. so come prepared with the basic hotel toiletries. Also, bring some febreeze as random areas of the hotel, including the hallways to the rooms, offer a stale stench.

The morning we were leaving I requested a late check out since my husband wouldn’t return from his match until early evening. Check out was 11am and they were so considerate enough to extend my check out time by a whole 30 minutes. They also stored my luggage in an empty room, which was a bit frustrating since I would have preferred to relax in that room or any room for a couple extra hours until my husband picked me up. What really irks me about this place is that we had to prepay our rooms, so unless we were willing to throw away $700, we were stuck here.

I wish our travel agent would have done her research and alerted us of this no frills “luxury” motel. We would have booked elsewhere. When I travel I like to stay at a hotel where I can enjoy the facility and amenities, including dining options! To me this was just an upgraded version of the Holiday Inn. However, it is apparently a hot spot for weddings and special occasions. While many of Emerson’s guests appreciate its “charm,” this just isn’t my cup of tea. I'm being generous by rating it as a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: For the most part, all rooms are about the same size and offer a terrace. Request a higher floor so...
1 Thank Saradish
Rhinebeck
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We just had our first stay at The Emerson. From Check-in to the well appointed, fantastic room, to our incredible Spa with all the extras, The Emerson far exceeded all our expectations! The suite was opulent, spotless and much detail went into the guest design and experience. The grounds were beautiful, and the mountains and Esopus Creek adjoining the Resort were magnificent! We will be back.

3 Thank vondellhomes
Sleepy Hollow, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2013

What i loved about staying at the Emerson Inn...
The rooms were beautiful and clean! The hallways were spotless and it was blessedly quiet and relaxing even though it was completely booked full. The front desk service was nice , helpful and courteous! Whenever we asked for anything it was there in a flash!
What i didnt love about my stay at the Emerson was the Phoenix Restaurant. We went there for a late breakfast (10 Am) and it wasnt very busy (only 6 tables total were full out of the entire place) but still took them nearly an hour and a half to get our food. They were painfully under staffed and there was no help in the kitchen. It was the only lousy time we had at the Emerson..
However the Catamount restaurant was great the night before...good food and nice staff!
Over all i would gladly recommend the Emerson Inn to anyone looking for a relaxing, luxurious getaway hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!