“AWESOME”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
New York City, New York
“AWESOME”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We like to go on unplanned adventures, to be specific, motorcycle adventures....my day off being Monday, that leaves some great options & some not so great. This was a stumbled upon amazing room. The hotel staff was lovely and helpful (and remember because it's a motorcycle adventure, we don't usually look too "presentable" when we check into a random hotel). The room was gorgeous, with amazing attention to detail. The fireplace, jetted tub (actually big enough for TWO) the swiss shower with rain shower head & side jets, the private balcony (even tho we were on the 1st floor)....yes, was it a little more than I would have normally paid for a monday nite (around $230), and yes the on grounds dinner options limited ( but delicious & also friendly), & yes..the spa was closed....but REALLY despite all off that, would absolutely stay here again. Will be recommending it to my friends, esp my male friends if they want to do something special for their gal!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizzardtats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
New York, NY
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The weekend at The Emerson was fantastic.

Room
My room (411) in the Inn part of the hotel was incredible. From the gas fireplace (with the flick of a switch!) to the soaking (jetted!) tub to the (private!) outdoor patio, it was more than what I expected for an area without cell phone reception in the Catskills. Great, comfortable double-bed with plenty of pillows. The pillows are a bit flat and soft for my taste but I made them work. Turn-down service was ok but I don’t know what happened to the chocolates that were supposed to be on my pillow. Oh well.

Spa
I have one name. Pete. He is amazing and that’s an understatement. After getting massages for more than 15 years in New York and in the Caribbean, I can say that my 80-minute treatment rivaled a massage at the Ritz-Carlton from many years ago. Go. See. Pete.

Lobby and Front Desk
The spacious lobby has two seating areas and an accommodating and courteous reception staff.

On-site Food
I didn't eat in either of the onsite restaurants. Fortunately I stumbled upon Jane's Ice Cream in the Country Store and had a great cup of coffee there as well.

There's no room service. When I was stuck one night without dinner options be cause I was the only person in my group that wanted dinner, Nate from the front desk was kind enough to order, pick up and deliver pizza, fries and a salad to my room.

Property
Throughout the Inn artwork on display, and integrated into the design, from India and other countries creates a very serene and peaceful experience. The furnishings are comfortable and clean.

I was enthralled by a great room with double-height ceilings and a stucco fireplace that extended the entire wall opposite the entry. Upstairs there was a loft with a chess table, chairs and books for leisure entertainment. It was too windy and rainy to enjoy the deck adjacent the great room but there was another lounge area with a sofa and chairs near its entry.

The hallways near the rooms have gorgeous light fixtures with intricate iron details. The window treatments have a beautiful print on flat Roman shades that create more texture and let light into the hallways.

On the last day before out departure we used our complimentary passes to the "World's Largest Kaleidoscope" 10-minute show that was Memorial-Day themed. Not a bad way to recline and savor the last few minutes at the Emerson.

Local Area
We ate dinner in Phoenicia at Riccardella’s which was very delicious. We had an amazing server, Terrance. He was professional and his sense of humor was appreciated. Dessert from Brio's in Phoenicia was outstanding. I had the pecan caramel cheesecake and others had peanut butter pie and a cookies n' cream coconut cake. Breakfast at the Phoenicia Diner on our last day was well worth the suspense. We drove by every day wondering why the parking lot was always packed at breakfast and lunch. It was worth the wait. I love 40s/50s style diners. I had the Farmer’s Skillet which was filling and fresh. The customer service was absolutely top-notch.

On the way back to Manhattan we took a tour of the Vanderbilt Mansionin Hyde Park that overlooks the Hudson River. The tour guide was such a comedian; he made seeing three levels of the mansion a fun exploration. Find out why it sold to the U.S. Government’s National Park Service for $1. That’s $1. Not $1m. Fascinating.

An afternoon excursion to Woodstock was delightful and almost as good as the first time I went there on a camping trip many moons ago.

Room Tip: 500 level in the Inn if you don't mind one flight up without an elevator 400 level in the Inn t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
new york
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited the Emerson this past weekend to enjoy the spa. Upon arrival I was impressed with the grounds and rooms. I thought to my myself, I can see this being the first of many visits to this hotel. My impression was changed immediately when I asked to book a spa service and was informed that for the next two days of our stay none were available due to being completely booked. Of course I was disappointed, as this was the main reason for my trip. The woman manning the spa desk continued to tell me that you need to book 2 weeks out to use their spa. If this is the case why not list this information on the website? I asked for a manager to discuss my disappointment but she was unavailable. I left my number for her to call me. She never did.
Next we decided to take a walk over to Catamount (on site restaurant) for a bite to eat. When we arrived we found it to be closed and asked 2 different staff members on the grounds why it wasn’t open and they hadn’t a clue. Later we found out it was booked for a private party. It happens. But I have to say that my disappointment in the spa made the fact that both restaurants being closed seem much worse!
Back to the spa to check out the hot tub. I walked in the spa and was very surprised that all but one treatment room was empty. I didn’t see anyone waiting or even anyone working! I asked the front desk once again to see if the manager was around. Not available. And by the way, I never set foot in the hot tub. It’s water was cloudy and the temperate was lukewarm at best.
We spent the majority of our time off-site which was really a shame, since as I mentioned before the hotel is very nice. We had a room in the lodge (friends stayed there) and also the Inn. The lodge is decorated very country and comfortable. The Inn had an Asian theme and seemed a bit more upscale than the lodge. But both were very nice.
Upon check out, I asked to speak with the hotel manager about the lack of spa services available and to let her know that the spa manager never called me after asking her to. She provided no words of explanation. I explained that we travelled over 4 hours to use a spa and that the hotel seemed empty, as did the spa. She literally said nothing, just shook her head in agreement. I added that I would be posting a review on tripadvisor about the lack of customer service. Still not a word, just a couple of nods. Well, here is my review. This hotel is run by children and a few adults with absolutely no experience in running a hotel or customer service. I paid almost $400 night for each room hoping to enjoy the Emerson Resort and Spa but basically it's just a nice room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Tiff5LI
Emerson07, Public Relations Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We’re sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Our spa books very quickly, especially on weekends, and therefore last minute appointments cannot always be accommodated. The confirmation letter you received states that spa appointments should be made as far in advance as possible (it also states that the Catamount Restaurant may be closed the date of your stay due to private events and to check with our Front Desk for information on other local restaurants - we're surrounded by great eateries and we love for our guests to explore the area!). Our Spa Manager called your room and cell several times but was unable to reach you. She was also available to speak with you the following day (as suggested to you by our Hotel Manager). Again, we apologize that we did not have spa availability. We do our absolute best to accommodate all requests but unfortunately this is not always possible.
New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Emerson is a small complex consisting of a lodge, hotel, spa, shopping and restaurants in a beautiful part of the Catskills. I have stopped by many times to eat or just check it out and it has always been great. After my first stay at the lodge, I'm even more impressed. Extremely comfortable beds, quiet, charming...like luxury camping. Very low key, the Emerson gets it right again and again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with black out drapes if you plan to sleep in late.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank interborough
Mt. Tremper NY
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Loved staying in the Family Suite...My friend and daughter and I had spa treatments, A great dinner at the Cat, and stayed in the Family Suite. We had plenty of space, the sound of the creek running, and a sitting area outside on the deck. It was quiet and comfortable, and the staff was very pleasant. It is a great place to take a family or to go as a couple. See you again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Momfor25years
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here for a three day mini retreat. The setting is beautiful backing onto the Esopus Creek in the Catskill Mountains. The main building houses a restaurant ; conference Center and day spa. Loved the luxury of the suites with turn down service. The personnel are attentive and the suite was spotless. Our only minor recommendation would be a newer mattress as it was a little soft. The lodge is great for families with kids and has a log cabin feel to it. There are several day trips one can take that would appeal to different interests. The serenity of the surroundings is what made it so special. Looking forward to another trip there in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms share creek views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mana49
New York
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We spent two nights at the Emerson Lodge with our extended family and had a great time. The rooms were comfortable and clean. We booked two, 2 bedroom suites and a single room to accomodate our party and the entire process from booking to check-out went smoothly. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, and we felt quite relaxed. It was off-season, so we had plenty of privacy and the guests that we met were friendly and joined us outside for cocktails and snacks. The area is beautiful and we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the river flowing behind the Inn. All in all it was a great stay and I would recommend it for familys or couples or large parties like ours.

Room Tip: Book a room in the back, off of the road.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Gardiner
Hampton Inn Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
#1 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!