“Don't go for the spa because you won't be able to use it!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited the Emerson this past weekend to enjoy the spa. Upon arrival I was impressed with the grounds and rooms. I thought to my myself, I can see this being the first of many visits to this hotel. My impression was changed immediately when I asked to book a spa service and was informed that for the next two days of our stay none were available due to being completely booked. Of course I was disappointed, as this was the main reason for my trip. The woman manning the spa desk continued to tell me that you need to book 2 weeks out to use their spa. If this is the case why not list this information on the website? I asked for a manager to discuss my disappointment but she was unavailable. I left my number for her to call me. She never did.
Next we decided to take a walk over to Catamount (on site restaurant) for a bite to eat. When we arrived we found it to be closed and asked 2 different staff members on the grounds why it wasn’t open and they hadn’t a clue. Later we found out it was booked for a private party. It happens. But I have to say that my disappointment in the spa made the fact that both restaurants being closed seem much worse!
Back to the spa to check out the hot tub. I walked in the spa and was very surprised that all but one treatment room was empty. I didn’t see anyone waiting or even anyone working! I asked the front desk once again to see if the manager was around. Not available. And by the way, I never set foot in the hot tub. It’s water was cloudy and the temperate was lukewarm at best.
We spent the majority of our time off-site which was really a shame, since as I mentioned before the hotel is very nice. We had a room in the lodge (friends stayed there) and also the Inn. The lodge is decorated very country and comfortable. The Inn had an Asian theme and seemed a bit more upscale than the lodge. But both were very nice.
Upon check out, I asked to speak with the hotel manager about the lack of spa services available and to let her know that the spa manager never called me after asking her to. She provided no words of explanation. I explained that we travelled over 4 hours to use a spa and that the hotel seemed empty, as did the spa. She literally said nothing, just shook her head in agreement. I added that I would be posting a review on tripadvisor about the lack of customer service. Still not a word, just a couple of nods. Well, here is my review. This hotel is run by children and a few adults with absolutely no experience in running a hotel or customer service. I paid almost $400 night for each room hoping to enjoy the Emerson Resort and Spa but basically it's just a nice room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Tiff5LI
Emerson07, Public Relations Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

We’re sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Our spa books very quickly, especially on weekends, and therefore last minute appointments cannot always be accommodated. The confirmation letter you received states that spa appointments should be made as far in advance as possible (it also states that the Catamount Restaurant may be closed the date of your stay due to private events and to check with our Front Desk for information on other local restaurants - we're surrounded by great eateries and we love for our guests to explore the area!). Our Spa Manager called your room and cell several times but was unable to reach you. She was also available to speak with you the following day (as suggested to you by our Hotel Manager). Again, we apologize that we did not have spa availability. We do our absolute best to accommodate all requests but unfortunately this is not always possible.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Emerson is a small complex consisting of a lodge, hotel, spa, shopping and restaurants in a beautiful part of the Catskills. I have stopped by many times to eat or just check it out and it has always been great. After my first stay at the lodge, I'm even more impressed. Extremely comfortable beds, quiet, charming...like luxury camping. Very low key, the Emerson gets it right again and again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with black out drapes if you plan to sleep in late.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank interborough
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Loved staying in the Family Suite...My friend and daughter and I had spa treatments, A great dinner at the Cat, and stayed in the Family Suite. We had plenty of space, the sound of the creek running, and a sitting area outside on the deck. It was quiet and comfortable, and the staff was very pleasant. It is a great place to take a family or to go as a couple. See you again soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Momfor25years
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Stayed here for a three day mini retreat. The setting is beautiful backing onto the Esopus Creek in the Catskill Mountains. The main building houses a restaurant ; conference Center and day spa. Loved the luxury of the suites with turn down service. The personnel are attentive and the suite was spotless. Our only minor recommendation would be a newer mattress as it was a little soft. The lodge is great for families with kids and has a log cabin feel to it. There are several day trips one can take that would appeal to different interests. The serenity of the surroundings is what made it so special. Looking forward to another trip there in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms share creek views
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mana49
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We spent two nights at the Emerson Lodge with our extended family and had a great time. The rooms were comfortable and clean. We booked two, 2 bedroom suites and a single room to accomodate our party and the entire process from booking to check-out went smoothly. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, and we felt quite relaxed. It was off-season, so we had plenty of privacy and the guests that we met were friendly and joined us outside for cocktails and snacks. The area is beautiful and we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the river flowing behind the Inn. All in all it was a great stay and I would recommend it for familys or couples or large parties like ours.

Room Tip: Book a room in the back, off of the road.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chillie
Reviewed April 9, 2013

To celebrate my 40th, I surprised my husband with a 2 night getaway. The Emerson's mid-week rates made it a splurge that didn't break the bank. Our room at the inn, was overly large, spacious and nicely decorated. The bathroom was as well. We enjoyed both the oversized Swiss shower and the jacuzzi style tub. There was a small balcony with soothing views of the Esopus Creek and the mountains as the backdrop. Since we stayed mid week, it was exceptional quiet and we enjoyed our privacy.

We indulged in a couples massage. The spa was much larger than I had anticipated and it would appear that many of the clients come from the surrounding area to use the spa services. We were happy with the service we received. Overall, the few staff members that we did interact with were all friendly and helpful. When we called down for a few extras bottles of water, they were brought right up to us.

We had dinner the 1st night at the Catamount. It was an average meal in an average place. The 2nd night we ventured 15 minutes north and enjoyed an exceptional meal at the Peekamoose Tap Room & Restaurant. It was easily one of our top 5 dining experiences ever, and it's in Big Indian, NY of all places!

If you were looking for a bit more of a great local adventure, I think The Emerson's location lends itself to a great many seasonal outdoor activities to choose from.

We definitely enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kate S
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Even next to a busy street, great overall value with great rooms and on-site facilities.

Water supply in suites horrible though. The tap water in room was brown, the hot tub filled up with a brown liquid. Hotel said those are 'minerals', it's normal in the catskills, and it's from their own well.

Hard to believe the hotel uses unfiltered well water for their guests, given that the NYC water supply is from the catskills.

Everything else was great.

• Stayed: March 2013
Kaatskill Mountain Club
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!