“Relaxing Romantic Getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Kingston, New York
“Relaxing Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

To celebrate my 40th, I surprised my husband with a 2 night getaway. The Emerson's mid-week rates made it a splurge that didn't break the bank. Our room at the inn, was overly large, spacious and nicely decorated. The bathroom was as well. We enjoyed both the oversized Swiss shower and the jacuzzi style tub. There was a small balcony with soothing views of the Esopus Creek and the mountains as the backdrop. Since we stayed mid week, it was exceptional quiet and we enjoyed our privacy.

We indulged in a couples massage. The spa was much larger than I had anticipated and it would appear that many of the clients come from the surrounding area to use the spa services. We were happy with the service we received. Overall, the few staff members that we did interact with were all friendly and helpful. When we called down for a few extras bottles of water, they were brought right up to us.

We had dinner the 1st night at the Catamount. It was an average meal in an average place. The 2nd night we ventured 15 minutes north and enjoyed an exceptional meal at the Peekamoose Tap Room & Restaurant. It was easily one of our top 5 dining experiences ever, and it's in Big Indian, NY of all places!

If you were looking for a bit more of a great local adventure, I think The Emerson's location lends itself to a great many seasonal outdoor activities to choose from.

We definitely enjoyed our stay and look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kate S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Even next to a busy street, great overall value with great rooms and on-site facilities.

Water supply in suites horrible though. The tap water in room was brown, the hot tub filled up with a brown liquid. Hotel said those are 'minerals', it's normal in the catskills, and it's from their own well.

Hard to believe the hotel uses unfiltered well water for their guests, given that the NYC water supply is from the catskills.

Everything else was great.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank karloy007
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband, dog and I went up for the night this past Saturday. We had a Junior Suite at the Inn and it was perfect. We had a nice upstairs sitting area, equipped with couch, chairs, sitting table, coffee pot and television. The couch was a pull out, although we didn't need it. The king size bed was comfy and nice. The room was clean and the bathroom had both a shower and whirlpool tub. Although the bathroom seemed a bit outdated, it was clean and perfectly suitable for our needs. The decor is perfect for a upstate retreat. When we arrived we were greatly warmly by the staff, especially our dog, who really appreciated all of the positive attention.

Our dog loved the dog park and although the neighboring dog barked incessantly we still had a great stay. We ate at the Catamount restaurant and sat by the fire, while the food wasn't good, the service was and we enjoyed the rest and relaxation by the fireplace. The country store is cute and we bought some local artists work. We drive past this place all the time when we are in the Catskills and I am so glad we decided to spend the night there.
There was some confusion when we were leaving the maid service came at 10:30 thinking we checked out early but we had received a late check out, it wasn't a big deal because we were there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coluca01
new york
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A group of my friends stayed at the Emerson last weekend and what a treat it was. From the wonderful massages to the sound of the babbling brook next to our room, we were all relaxed upon leaving.
We stayed in the largest 2 bedroom in the Lodge. Much nicer than I had been led to believe on other reviews of the Lodge rooms. In particular, there was a bedroom upstairs that was circular with lovely views out of the windows. extremely comforable beds. The lving room space was invaluable as we were 4 people and it gave us a place to hang out.
Only negatives were poor water pressure and temperature in one of the bathrooms, but there was a bathroom with a shower stall that was perfect. I also wish that the fireplace had been lit in the lobby. We did not use the restaurants. The spa was lovely, and my massage thjerapist great.
This is a great friends get away. Hope to return in the realy nice weather.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank scb85
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed there for a ski weekend. Stayed in the dog friendly rooms. For the area this is nice accomodations. Great place for dogs as the rooms are exterior entrance (so dogs do not have the distraction of people going up and down the hallway). Also has a nice dog run area. The spa looked great but we did not use it. We also ate at some very good restaurants in Big Indian and Wooodstock so cannot comment on the food.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dap7
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was so excited to arrive at the Emerson for my weekend getaway for a friend's wedding. This was gonna be a real vacation, or so I thought. I'm a grad student at Columbia University and since my whole life is taken up by school I was looking forward to this weekend away all summer. BUT What happened there was like a real life worst nightmare horror story. I was alone and out of nowhere was attacked by a person I didn't know. I was on the ground bleeding all over and the lady who worked there came and put a bandage on my eye and told me to go to bed I was fine. I knew I was not fine. A guest escorted me back to my room, but left me alone where I found my attacker yelling at me and threatening me so i ran in the room shaking with fear and shut the door. I knew I had to get to the hospital. I stayed awake and snuck to the lobby and told the man working the front desk I needed to go to the hospital. bleeding. Since I had been punched in the face and the eye, my nose was bleeding hours later, nobody had come to check on me or bring me ice. I was really scared because I saw a red veil of blood over my vision. The guy at the desk told me that he wondered why the incident had not been reported; there was .......no record of it....... I bet this kind of thing has happened there before and they just try to cover it up. They guy told me there was nobody who would take me to the hospital and he printed directions for me to drive myself!! No. Not an option. I couldn't move my head. I was in shock. I felt consoled for a moment when he said I should press charges and he was going to make certain that I was taken care of and that the incident was reported properly. The next morning, I had to call the front desk a few times, still asking to go to the hospital. A kid took me, he was nice but I deserve a manager to talk to me about the tragedy I went through. But he was nice enough to wait at the hospital for me. Unfortunately I returned from the hospital after 1 pm. I had missed check out and they charged me for another night....... Nobody came to check on me. I slept from the time I came back from the hospital until check out the next day. it was so hard to drive. I had to go to the police to report this myself.I told the police that the Emerson staff had a report on file so they could confirm my attack. WELL. The police told me NO!!! They in fact did not make any record at all. What is this place's policy for ANYONE who gets hurt badly? How am I? I have permanent loss to my vision. I am STILL in crisis counseling. I was diagnosed with PTSD and I'm on medication. My life totally changed because of my stay at the Emerson. Nobody to take care of business over there. I worked in Event and Convention Services for Marriott years ago and I know that this would never fly at a reputable establishment. I never got an apology......I never got my money back....this is guest service? On what planet? .......This happened over 6 months ago, but because of nightmares, fear, hallucinations and depression I have not been able to come forward until now. But, hey. Don't just take my word for it. You can look up the arrest of my attacker from the Shandaken news. Please, think about staying here, especially if you have kids. If anything--God forbid-------were to happen, you'd be charged extra for it, and then they'd sweep it under the carpet and say they were not aware of what happened. My purpose in life has become to protect others from what happened to me.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
16 Thank VICTIM8_25
Emerson07, Public Relations Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
According to our records, this event happened differently than described in the above review. The guest attended a wedding at the Emerson in August, 2012. At approximately 11 p.m. a staff member observed the guest from a distance and thought she appeared bent over. Thinking she may have fallen, the staff member approached the guest and asked what had happened. The guest replied she had been hit. Although none of our staff witnessed an altercation, it was discovered that another female wedding guest allegedly punched the guest in the face sometime toward the end of the reception. Our staff member (who had now been joined by another employee to assist) helped the guest to a seat and helped her clean her face. She also gave the guest ice for her eye which appeared bloody from a cut in the eyebrow area. At this time the guest was asked if she wished to seek medical treatment and/or speak to local law enforcement. The guest replied no, she did not want an ambulance or police called. Our staff member asked if there was anything else they could do to help and the guest said no. She was then escorted back to her room by another wedding guest.

The following morning the guest called the Front Desk and explained her injuries from the night before to the Front Desk Agent who answered the phone. The Agent asked if she needed an ambulance to take her to a clinic or hospital to which she replied no, but thought she might need stitches and would someone be available to give her a ride later. She also requested ice. The Agent said yes, a staff member would drive her and that he would look up urgent care and hospital facilities for her. He also sent his co-worker to bring ice to the guest. The Agent called her shortly thereafter with the medical facility information and asked the guest to call the Front Desk when she was ready to leave. Approximately 2-3 hours later the Front Desk called the guest’s room to check on her and left a message for her to call should she still need medical attention. The guest called back around 1 p.m saying she was ready to leave. The same Front Desk Agent who had delivered ice to the room earlier that morning drove the guest first to an emergency walk-in clinic (which did not accept her insurance), then to Kingston Hospital. During the ride, the Front Desk Agent asked the guest if she had been offered medical treatment the night before. The guest answered that “everyone” had wanted her to seek medical attention, but she said no, she preferred to see how she was in the morning. Our Agent waited at the hospital for approximately an hour while the guest was treated, then drove her to the pharmacy to fill a prescription she had been given. The guest then stated she was hungry, so our Agent stopped at a grocery store near the Emerson so the guest could get a sandwich (which is what she stated she wanted) and some other items. Upon their return to the Emerson, the guest requested to stay another night since she did not feel well enough to drive home. An additional night was booked and both Agents asked her if she needed more ice to which she replied yes, that would be great. After escorting her to her room the Agent who had driven her asked if there was anything else she needed. The guest said no, thanked the Agent for his help, and gave him a tip. The guest was traveling with a dog and later that evening the Agent saw the guest outside walking the dog. The Agent asked the guest how she was doing. She replied she was feeling much better and was glad she had decided to stay an extra night. The following morning the same Agent handled the guest’s check-out and asked if everything was all right. The guest said again she was feeling better, was glad she had stayed the night, and that she was thankful for everything done by the Agent and his co-worker.

At no point were we informed anything other than what is stated above. The guest did not wish to speak with the police, and we made every effort to ensure she received medical attention. Upon the guest’s departure she was grateful for our services. Shortly thereafter we received a thank you note from the bride of the wedding, who mentioned the guest was doing much better. This is the only communication we received prior to the recent (March, 2013) negative posts and claims made by the guest. It is our sincere hope that those reading this post and response, contact us at (845) 688-2828, ext. 7631 should they have any questions or concerns regarding a future visit to the Emerson.
Hempstead, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was hesitant to write a review as its not really based on the entire Emerson Facility and Staff. My wife and I are semi-retired and have a second home in Roxbury NY. We really like supporting local businesses when we travel to and from our Long Island home. We definetely have some amazing local treasures in the Catskills and we look forward to moving up here for good once we totally retire in the next few years. We have stopped at the Emerson many times for dinners at the Catamount Resturant, or the Cafe for a quick lunch in the afternoon. We have always had wonderful experiences with the staff and always enjoyed ourselves until this past weekend. We decided to bring some friends with us who lost their house during Hurricane Sandy and who needed a break from putting their lives back together. My wife talked up the Emerson to our friends and talked about the shops attached to the cafe. They finally decided to take us up on our offer to come upstate with us. I am really hoping that this isn't the direction the Emerson is headed because we do love it, BUT....

Maybe it was her hormones or maybe she's just not cut out for customer service, but there was a young pregnant woman behind the counter in the Cafe. She looked right at us when we walked in and the look on her face basically said, "Oh great, customers." Despite this we ordered some sandwiches and coffee. When my wife and one of our friends said that their sandwichs were cold in the center and my wife asked the young woman about it, she was EXTREMELY rude to the point that if she had been a guy I would have gotten out of my seat and stepped in. In my 58yrs on this planet and my 32yrs of marriage, I have never had anybody be this rude to my wife! To say the least, we were quite embarassed for bringing our friends here, but told them it was an isolated incident or we wouldn't continue to take our business there. There was another woman working in the cafe as well but she was helping another customer (actually it seemed as if she was helping the majority of the customers.) I wish we could have had her instead as she seemed much more pleasant.

Monday, we decided on the way home to take a chance that maybe the pregnant woman wouldn't be there and to get a cup of coffee for the road. Being there are dozens of places we could have taken our business, we still decided to give the Cafe another shot and sure enough there was the same pregnant woman with the same terrible attitude. We got our coffee but left her no tip, Hell after Friday we felt she should have bought our coffee for us!

I'm not writing this because I want the Emerson staff to throw free stuff our way, I'm not like that. I'm writing this to warn possible customers to avoid the cafe for a while, or at least until this one employee is out on maternity leave, maybe then there will be proper service! Next time we are headed upstate and we get close, it will be a coin toss as to whether we stop at the Emerson Cafe for coffee and lunch or if we wait till we get somewhere else that will appreciate our business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bill M
Emerson07, Public Relations Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It appears from your review that you have visited us many times and we want to be sure we continue to earn your business. The situation you described is currently being addressed. Should you encounter any problems at the Country Store Cafe in the future, please ask to speak with our Country Store Manager, David Milutin. He will be more than happy to assist you in any way he can.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Tremper
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Minnewaska Lodge
Minnewaska Lodge
#1 of 1 in Gardiner

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!