“Realxing weekend in luxury”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A group of my friends stayed at the Emerson last weekend and what a treat it was. From the wonderful massages to the sound of the babbling brook next to our room, we were all relaxed upon leaving.
We stayed in the largest 2 bedroom in the Lodge. Much nicer than I had been led to believe on other reviews of the Lodge rooms. In particular, there was a bedroom upstairs that was circular with lovely views out of the windows. extremely comforable beds. The lving room space was invaluable as we were 4 people and it gave us a place to hang out.
Only negatives were poor water pressure and temperature in one of the bathrooms, but there was a bathroom with a shower stall that was perfect. I also wish that the fireplace had been lit in the lobby. We did not use the restaurants. The spa was lovely, and my massage thjerapist great.
This is a great friends get away. Hope to return in the realy nice weather.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank scb85

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed there for a ski weekend. Stayed in the dog friendly rooms. For the area this is nice accomodations. Great place for dogs as the rooms are exterior entrance (so dogs do not have the distraction of people going up and down the hallway). Also has a nice dog run area. The spa looked great but we did not use it. We also ate at some very good restaurants in Big Indian and Wooodstock so cannot comment on the food.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dap7
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was so excited to arrive at the Emerson for my weekend getaway for a friend's wedding. This was gonna be a real vacation, or so I thought. I'm a grad student at Columbia University and since my whole life is taken up by school I was looking forward to this weekend away all summer. BUT What happened there was like a real life worst nightmare horror story. I was alone and out of nowhere was attacked by a person I didn't know. I was on the ground bleeding all over and the lady who worked there came and put a bandage on my eye and told me to go to bed I was fine. I knew I was not fine. A guest escorted me back to my room, but left me alone where I found my attacker yelling at me and threatening me so i ran in the room shaking with fear and shut the door. I knew I had to get to the hospital. I stayed awake and snuck to the lobby and told the man working the front desk I needed to go to the hospital. bleeding. Since I had been punched in the face and the eye, my nose was bleeding hours later, nobody had come to check on me or bring me ice. I was really scared because I saw a red veil of blood over my vision. The guy at the desk told me that he wondered why the incident had not been reported; there was .......no record of it....... I bet this kind of thing has happened there before and they just try to cover it up. They guy told me there was nobody who would take me to the hospital and he printed directions for me to drive myself!! No. Not an option. I couldn't move my head. I was in shock. I felt consoled for a moment when he said I should press charges and he was going to make certain that I was taken care of and that the incident was reported properly. The next morning, I had to call the front desk a few times, still asking to go to the hospital. A kid took me, he was nice but I deserve a manager to talk to me about the tragedy I went through. But he was nice enough to wait at the hospital for me. Unfortunately I returned from the hospital after 1 pm. I had missed check out and they charged me for another night....... Nobody came to check on me. I slept from the time I came back from the hospital until check out the next day. it was so hard to drive. I had to go to the police to report this myself.I told the police that the Emerson staff had a report on file so they could confirm my attack. WELL. The police told me NO!!! They in fact did not make any record at all. What is this place's policy for ANYONE who gets hurt badly? How am I? I have permanent loss to my vision. I am STILL in crisis counseling. I was diagnosed with PTSD and I'm on medication. My life totally changed because of my stay at the Emerson. Nobody to take care of business over there. I worked in Event and Convention Services for Marriott years ago and I know that this would never fly at a reputable establishment. I never got an apology......I never got my money back....this is guest service? On what planet? .......This happened over 6 months ago, but because of nightmares, fear, hallucinations and depression I have not been able to come forward until now. But, hey. Don't just take my word for it. You can look up the arrest of my attacker from the Shandaken news. Please, think about staying here, especially if you have kids. If anything--God forbid-------were to happen, you'd be charged extra for it, and then they'd sweep it under the carpet and say they were not aware of what happened. My purpose in life has become to protect others from what happened to me.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
17  Thank VICTIM8_25
Emerson07, Public Relations Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

According to our records, this event happened differently than described in the above review. The guest attended a wedding at the Emerson in August, 2012. At approximately 11 p.m. a staff member observed the guest from a distance and thought she appeared bent over. Thinking she may have fallen, the staff member approached the guest and asked what had happened. The guest replied she had been hit. Although none of our staff witnessed an altercation, it was discovered that another female wedding guest allegedly punched the guest in the face sometime toward the end of the reception. Our staff member (who had now been joined by another employee to assist) helped the guest to a seat and helped her clean her face. She also gave the guest ice for her eye which appeared bloody from a cut in the eyebrow area. At this time the guest was asked if she wished to seek medical treatment and/or speak to local law enforcement. The guest replied no, she did not want an ambulance or police called. Our staff member asked if there was anything else they could do to help and the guest said no. She was then escorted back to her room by another wedding guest.

The following morning the guest called the Front Desk and explained her injuries from the night before to the Front Desk Agent who answered the phone. The Agent asked if she needed an ambulance to take her to a clinic or hospital to which she replied no, but thought she might need stitches and would someone be available to give her a ride later. She also requested ice. The Agent said yes, a staff member would drive her and that he would look up urgent care and hospital facilities for her. He also sent his co-worker to bring ice to the guest. The Agent called her shortly thereafter with the medical facility information and asked the guest to call the Front Desk when she was ready to leave. Approximately 2-3 hours later the Front Desk called the guest’s room to check on her and left a message for her to call should she still need medical attention. The guest called back around 1 p.m saying she was ready to leave. The same Front Desk Agent who had delivered ice to the room earlier that morning drove the guest first to an emergency walk-in clinic (which did not accept her insurance), then to Kingston Hospital. During the ride, the Front Desk Agent asked the guest if she had been offered medical treatment the night before. The guest answered that “everyone” had wanted her to seek medical attention, but she said no, she preferred to see how she was in the morning. Our Agent waited at the hospital for approximately an hour while the guest was treated, then drove her to the pharmacy to fill a prescription she had been given. The guest then stated she was hungry, so our Agent stopped at a grocery store near the Emerson so the guest could get a sandwich (which is what she stated she wanted) and some other items. Upon their return to the Emerson, the guest requested to stay another night since she did not feel well enough to drive home. An additional night was booked and both Agents asked her if she needed more ice to which she replied yes, that would be great. After escorting her to her room the Agent who had driven her asked if there was anything else she needed. The guest said no, thanked the Agent for his help, and gave him a tip. The guest was traveling with a dog and later that evening the Agent saw the guest outside walking the dog. The Agent asked the guest how she was doing. She replied she was feeling much better and was glad she had decided to stay an extra night. The following morning the same Agent handled the guest’s check-out and asked if everything was all right. The guest said again she was feeling better, was glad she had stayed the night, and that she was thankful for everything done by the Agent and his co-worker.

At no point were we informed anything other than what is stated above. The guest did not wish to speak with the police, and we made every effort to ensure she received medical attention. Upon the guest’s departure she was grateful for our services. Shortly thereafter we received a thank you note from the bride of the wedding, who mentioned the guest was doing much better. This is the only communication we received prior to the recent (March, 2013) negative posts and claims made by the guest. It is our sincere hope that those reading this post and response, contact us at (845) 688-2828, ext. 7631 should they have any questions or concerns regarding a future visit to the Emerson.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was hesitant to write a review as its not really based on the entire Emerson Facility and Staff. My wife and I are semi-retired and have a second home in Roxbury NY. We really like supporting local businesses when we travel to and from our Long Island home. We definetely have some amazing local treasures in the Catskills and we look forward to moving up here for good once we totally retire in the next few years. We have stopped at the Emerson many times for dinners at the Catamount Resturant, or the Cafe for a quick lunch in the afternoon. We have always had wonderful experiences with the staff and always enjoyed ourselves until this past weekend. We decided to bring some friends with us who lost their house during Hurricane Sandy and who needed a break from putting their lives back together. My wife talked up the Emerson to our friends and talked about the shops attached to the cafe. They finally decided to take us up on our offer to come upstate with us. I am really hoping that this isn't the direction the Emerson is headed because we do love it, BUT....

Maybe it was her hormones or maybe she's just not cut out for customer service, but there was a young pregnant woman behind the counter in the Cafe. She looked right at us when we walked in and the look on her face basically said, "Oh great, customers." Despite this we ordered some sandwiches and coffee. When my wife and one of our friends said that their sandwichs were cold in the center and my wife asked the young woman about it, she was EXTREMELY rude to the point that if she had been a guy I would have gotten out of my seat and stepped in. In my 58yrs on this planet and my 32yrs of marriage, I have never had anybody be this rude to my wife! To say the least, we were quite embarassed for bringing our friends here, but told them it was an isolated incident or we wouldn't continue to take our business there. There was another woman working in the cafe as well but she was helping another customer (actually it seemed as if she was helping the majority of the customers.) I wish we could have had her instead as she seemed much more pleasant.

Monday, we decided on the way home to take a chance that maybe the pregnant woman wouldn't be there and to get a cup of coffee for the road. Being there are dozens of places we could have taken our business, we still decided to give the Cafe another shot and sure enough there was the same pregnant woman with the same terrible attitude. We got our coffee but left her no tip, Hell after Friday we felt she should have bought our coffee for us!

I'm not writing this because I want the Emerson staff to throw free stuff our way, I'm not like that. I'm writing this to warn possible customers to avoid the cafe for a while, or at least until this one employee is out on maternity leave, maybe then there will be proper service! Next time we are headed upstate and we get close, it will be a coin toss as to whether we stop at the Emerson Cafe for coffee and lunch or if we wait till we get somewhere else that will appreciate our business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Bill M
Emerson07, Public Relations Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It appears from your review that you have visited us many times and we want to be sure we continue to earn your business. The situation you described is currently being addressed. Should you encounter any problems at the Country Store Cafe in the future, please ask to speak with our Country Store Manager, David Milutin. He will be more than happy to assist you in any way he can.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just came back from a trip to the Emerson Spa with our dog, Opal. We all had a wonderful time. Espcially, Opal! We really didnt know what to expect with regard to the rooms since dogs are allowed and we were more than pleasantly surprised! The room was perfect and you can't tell that dogs were ever allowed in the rooms. They were immaculate and did not smell from former dogs. They looked brand new. The Resort was very animal friendly and allowed us to walk Opal throughout the hotel. Everyone was very nice and helpful. There is also a little doggie run in front of the Lodge rooms. We also hired a local hiking guide, Dean from Peekamouse Adventures. He was also dog-friendly and took me, my husband and Opal on a great hike. He also took us to his father's maple sugar "factory". We had an awesome time and we can't wait to go back, of course, with Opal.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Lodge Room because we brought our dog.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jodibeth
Reviewed February 16, 2013

beds: exceptional comfort - delicious food - very friendly staff, recommending wonderful hikes in the catskills region. We enjoyed every single day to the fullest, including the steamroom and yoga lessons. Shall certainly consider another round of quality time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gisi F
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just left Emerson, man what a lovely place! I love coming down for breakfast and seeing if not al but mostly all the same staff, it makes it feel like I'm at home. The front desk staff that I dealt with we're informational and willing do do anything to help me. Matt was very funny, but kept it professional. Everyone seemed to get along. Walking into a place seeing smiling faces just makes you want to come back. This place was absolutely gorgeous! The maitiance staff were always so clean, yet looked like hard working family men. Breakfast at the Phoenix was perfect, Mary was professional, she knew about the area, as did all of the staff, being that most grew up around the area helped plan what I was going to do, Mary helped me with going to Woodstock and even convinced me to go to the spa! Great choice, I loved my massage therapist Jen. She was so smiley and welcoming. The managers here seemed to treat their employees as family. The shops were amazing! So many cute things. To bad the ski shop was not open to cross-country! But it was okay because I was happy that the employees were honest, instead I stayed on site for a lunch, the food was excellent! But the service was not up to par, the woman( or should I say girl) was pregnant, maybe it was her hormones but she was just rude and did not seem to want to help me,when I walked over she was sitting down with her back to me watching tv, I had to say excuse me do you work here for her to even realize I was there, a employee had seem what had occurred and had apologized and assured me that it would not happen again, seeing People at work at their stations was much better then them standing their waiting, the kaleidoscope was magnificent! I loved it, Linda was very helpful, you could tell this is what she loves doing. I'm all about being clean, and every place I went on property was immaculate, the rooms were to die for, the bed felt like a cloud that wrapped you up, great choice, the bathroom was so relaxing, the towels were fluffy, they smelled great and the room was so cozy. I ate at the catamount, the music was so much fun! I would love to come back, I loved the scenery, the staff, the helpfulness, the accommodations and the level of professionalism but still treating you like family. Live this place and the people working there! Defiantly coming back soon!

• Stayed: February 2013
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!