“Not what is should be”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the lodge the weekend of March 23. The property is just not what it should be. The room itself was very nice, but that is about it. We were given a room the faced a very busy main road. We could not hear the creek, but could hear all the cars zooming by. We could not use the porch since it just faced the busy road and was right against the parking lot.
The service is poor. I wanted to take a yoga class (you must pay extra for all classes adn there are only two a day), but the spa desk attendant was unable to tell me what any of the classes were like. There was no steam in the steamroom. I heard another guest in the spa telling somebody that she advised management of the problem several times, but had given up because no action was taken. Prior to arriving, we left several message to book a massage but never received a return call. Of course, by the time we arrived, the availability was severely limited. Check out was at 11 am. Despite the fact that we were checking out on a Sunday, and were returning guests, the only "extended" check out we could receive was for 11:30. Despite the "resort and spa" name, the activities offered are extremely limited - there is no indoor pool or whirlpool, no hiking or trials, no tennis courts, etc.

If you are looking for a nice room with no real service to speak of, the lodge is a good place to stay. The rooms are large and well maintained. If you are looking for a resort/spa with good service, this is not the place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lisa4080
MrktingDirctr, Director of Sales at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. It was disheartening to read your comment about unanswered phone calls and less than helpful staff, we are working hard to correct and improve both aspects of our service. I am confident that the next time you stay with us, you will be pleased with the improvements your suggestions and our work has produced.

Many of our Lodge rooms have a back deck facing the stream (every one of our Inn rooms has a private back deck). But since our Lodge is more than ½ a football field off the road, and traffic is usually minimal, I was surprised and sorry you heard “cars zooming by.”

The Emerson is happy to offer our guests a late check out time if needed. Unfortunately, if the room is booked for later that day, we must limit the time extension to allow our housekeeping team sufficient time to prepare the room. That is what occurred in your case.

Our yoga class schedule varies day to day. We offer at least two classes and often 4 classes. I am sorry you chose not to take a class. Our instructors are top notch and I know you would have enjoyed it.

And while we do not have certain activities on-site, our concierge and front desk staff are happy to connect you with the information and people you need to enjoy hiking, kayaking, horseback riding, art studio tours, golf, and all the other wonderful adventures Ulster County and the Catskills offer. Please be sure to speak with our front desk team next time you are here.

There are newer reviews for Emerson Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed in a cabin locally and wanted to get a massage while my husband went skiing. I received an amazing massage from Kimberly Huges! The place is beautiful and the massage itself was excellent. Kimberly really knows what she is doing. What also is awesome, is if you book any spa service (even if you are not staying there), you get to use the jacuzzi, fitness center, sauna and steam room. I used the steam room before my massage and it made for such an amazing experience. Thank you for your hospitality Emerson Resort & Spa! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at the Emerson for 2 nights valentines day in Feb. We chose the luxury suite in the lodge. 2 levels a fire place really great big king bed upstais a hugt tub.Downstairs a big deck. The mountains and setting are fantastic. We ate at the catamount which was a lodge type restaurant and bar very pretty fireplaces all over but the food really not good but not priced to high either. Maybe should have stuck burgers or pizza there but no big deal. The 2nd night went to the phoenix by the lobby for valentines day very elegant food a bit better certainly only 2 star though..There was a set menu and price because of valentines day which is ok but they did try to give us a tiny little circle of cheese cake 2 inches to split I did tell the matre de must have been a mistake. Over all a beautiful location and great lodge accomodations would go back.

Room Tip: get the luxury suite in the lodges. Bring drinks and snacks and extra coffee as you will have a fri...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brenda15
Reviewed February 13, 2012

From the moment we arrived everything was great. The young men at the front desk : Junior, Matt, and another young man were so friendly, warm and helpful. All our questions were answered... ski rentals were recommended, discount lift tickets were purchased, and a few hugs for our chocolate lab too. We found our room to be clean and spacious, and the bathroom with jacuzzi tub was very relaxing. The view of the Esopous and the mountains from our back deck that was amazing. While my son and I skied at a nearby mountain my husband and dog enjoyed the doggie park. While we did have a notice a tiny leak in our bathroom one morning we called the front dest and the maintenance man was there in minutes, fixed it in a few seconds, and insisted we have breakfast at "The Phoenix" for "our trouble". While we didn't think dinner the night before at could be topped, breakfast was just as delicious with a beautiful relaxing view, great way to start the morning. Another evening we had dinner at the Catamount, live music and dancing for guests and the local crowd. Food and service were great. What a great whole family get away... we can't wait to go back

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jackie621
Reviewed January 31, 2012

After reading all the positive reviews my boyfriend and I decided to book a romantic getaway at the Emerson Spa. We stayed in the tower suite, room 109, which was very nice. Upon arrival the room was very clean expect for the mold growing in the coffee pot. We had dinner the first night at "the Catamount" which was mediocre at best. The following day we booked our couples spa treatments.
The Spa:
Did not AT ALL meet the expectations based on prior reviews.
This spa is sub par at best.
First, in the womens locker room, there were no slippers, towels or wash cloths available.
In the men's locker room, there were no towels, wash cloths or shaving cream. My boyfriend had to go back out to the front desk area and ask to have towels and shaving cream brought in. In fact, he asked a total of three times and to no avail.
Next, the area in which you wait to be called for your spa was horrendous. After changing into your robe, they ask you to wait in a room which is similar to a doctor's office waiting room. All the chairs are around the perimeter of the room facing each other, where everyone (both men and women) waits in their bathrobes. Imagine our discomfort when they came out and called our names out to the room for our "Couples massage". Horrible.
The massages themselves were good. Relaxing.
Dinner that night was at "The Phoenix'.....
Horrible service.
The worst service I've had in years.
Wait staff were very young and inexperienced, forgetting orders and drinks... not proefssional at all. They were out of two of the entrees I had ordered, so I settled for the penne pasta dish which was ok.
What we were hoping to be a special romatic weekend turned into one dissapointment after another. This place could be GREAT if they could work out these annoying kinks. As of now, I would NOT recommend it for a romatic couples get away!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lnapoli
MrktingDirctr, Director of Sales at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are in a period of transition and working hard to improve. Your suggestions will help. Based on your review of Capri Riviera, Cancun, a place 1,500 people rated, "Excellent," and you called, "The worst beach I have ever seen on a vacation," I believe your standards are high. But, I believe we can reach them. Our new Housekeeping Manager is addressing the coffee pot complaint; our new Spa Manager is working to add guest amenities and increase the availability for greater privacy in the waiting area; our new restaurant managers have made staff training the priority it should be. I agree with your assessment, "This place can be GREAT." We are working hard and look forward to an opportunity to give you the vacation you desire.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

really loved this great spot! So nice, clean, zen like, very friendly - great weekday specials. Rooms are large, comfortable - bathrooms very well appointed with carrera marble, big jacuzzi tub, separate wc, stall shower with 4 jets! Glass window to the bedroom. i think its a green hotel too. Our room had a deck over the river which was very scenic. The spa was really nice and a great value for the quality it offers. Had a great express facial....book your spa services in advance - left it till too late and was closed out so didnt get to try the massages. Nice teas and coffee avail 24/7. Its a great, easy getaway, even for just one night. We were pleasantly surprised and can't believe we never stayed here before - its so close. Hope to get back soon!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 2010Fes
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Emerson Inn for New Years this year and I was the most amazing new years of my life. The hotel is set among the mountains of upstate New York and is very rustic. We stayed in a suite that was absolutely gorgeous, clean, and perfect in every way. The balcony had a view of the mountains and a creek that runs behind the hotel. It was very serene and peaceful. We had a couples massage that was absolutely wonderful and relaxing; we were able to have two masseuses in one room so that we could be together during the massage. We also had a couples pedicure that was wonderful. We had dinner at the restaurant at the Inn which had a delicious looking menu but had a different New years eve menu. Initially disappointed by the offerings, I was more than pleased as the food was absolutely delicious. We had drinks at the bar, and watched the ball drop in the main room with some other people. It was relaxing, serene, beautiful, and the perfect beginning for 2012. My boyfriend and I left feeling more in love with eachother than ever before. I highly suggest this spa and guarantee that we will be visiting again soon.

Room Tip: SPLURGE! It's worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Albergo Allegria
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 7 in Windham

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!