Emerson Resort & Spa
Official Site
Hotel Dylan(Woodstock)(Great Value!)
$279
$242
Cold Spring Lodge(Big Indian)
$173
Orbitz.com
Starlite Motel(Big Indian)(Great Value!)
$135
TripAdvisor
Hunter Inn(Hunter)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgas fireplaceroyal suitejetted tubmain buildingsteam roomseparate showeresopus creekrelaxing weekendsmall balconywet barsitting areaphoenicia dineroutdoor poollodge roomsgreat roomcatskill regionthis past weekend
Reviewed October 16, 2007

my wife and i escaped for the weekend here. i have read previous reviews and became a bit leery. needless to say, our experience was nothing but fantastic. everything in the hotel from the shower faucets to the wood on the outdoor decks are top-notched. nothing but the highest quality in the furniture all the way to the service.

the spa was very good as was the gym (one of the nicest and biggest i've seen for a resort. all new top of the line equipment). steam rooms/sauna and hot tub were great.

the phoenix restaurant was excellent. brunch buffet and dinner were not cheap but well worth it. really good food and service.

we stayed at the inn, not the lodge. so i cannot vouch for the lodge. but you cannot go wrong with the brand new rooms at the inn.

they seem to have outgrown the growing pains because the service and attention was excellent (especially shona). i have no problem recommending this place for a nice spa weekend getaway.

only bad thing i can say is no cell phone service (unless you have AT&T from what i heard). but they were accommodating and did not charge for phone use even though it's not their fault). you are in the mountains, not the city.

woodstock was lots of fun and bear cafe was fantastic for dinner. kaleidoscope store was very cool too.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank jomaxNj
Reviewed October 5, 2007

I'm a nyc resident who frequented the original lodge for years . While the advertised "worlds largest kaleidescope" made me think twice before booking a room for the first time (years ago) the rustic rooms were a delightful suprise. Richly appointed with exquisitely soft high thread count ( i have learned about that from my wife!) linens and towels , the place was a luxury oasis in the woods. At that point , I had not stayed at the uber fancy famous inn. Since the tragic fire that destroyed the inn, they have built an new annex to the lodge incorporating both the high end spa and the lodge. I have been fortunate enough to stay at both the lodge and the spa(and to afford it !) I can only surmise that there has been a change in managment because the level of service and amenities has been kicked up by more than a notch. I did stay a the lodge at the time they were just building the new spa rooms and facilities and while they appeared to have been experiencing some "growing pains" , the staff went out of their way to be accomodating. I would not hesitate to recommend the place to anyone. I would advise prospective guests to book spa treatments in advance, however. While I am just a massage guy, the treatment and services have apparently become so popular- attempting to book services upon arrival can lead to disappointment (and the possible disolution of a marriage -fortunately, my wife ignored me and booked our treatments in advance!) We lopk forward to our next visit !

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed September 1, 2007

For an expensive spa/inn getaway from new york, while it was okay, it was clearly under par.

The place is still trying to figure out what it is. The decor/design is a confusing blend of thai/indian/moroccon/crate&barrel. The rooms are okay in size and reasonably laid out with flat screen tv and very nice bathrooms, so other than the confusing blend of decor (and an awful canopy over the bed), we like the bedroom. The rooms had wireless internet, which was helpful as cellphones and blackberries don't work.

The dining room (the phoenix restaurant) was terrible for spa food. The breakfast was an average buffet (no a la carte), with an omelette/waffle station and then a few pastries and canned fruits and boxed cereals. However, for a spa, the food was not very spa-like. Also, for being in the farmlands of new york in august, canned fruits and generic tomatoes are too bad. After the generic breakfast, we did not eat dinner there, but the menu was a confusion of indian, thai and steaks. The rice pudding, which we stopped in for, was more like a warm rice mess.

The spa had a nice feel to it and good facilities, but of the 4 treatments my wife and I had, one specialist was good, one mediocre, and two we didn't like. The gym looked very nice but its not of the order of a Woodloch.

We loved the woman at the front desk but most of the staff was fine but a little confused.

Strangely, on the property, for something that was custom built, the place was right on the highway and no landscaping/use of the natural beauty. We felt it was a converted motel.

In conclusion, while the rooms are fine enough and there are good dining choices in the area, I am not sure it justified the high room rate for an average stay with a mediocre spa.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NYC_i-banker
Reviewed August 17, 2007

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 1, 2007

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)