“A hidden treasure found at last!”
Review of Niles Gourmet

Niles Gourmet
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Moravia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have ventured to the Niles Gourmet twice now and have thoroughly enjoyed our experiences. It is so refreshing to dine where you are not faced with the same menu choices as every other place around. Plus their menu is ever changing. Don’t expect fried mozzarella sticks, Buffalo wings or cheeseburgers.
Sandie (chef/owner) is a true foodie that is passionate about the quality of the ingredients. She focuses on local, organic and unique gourmet items which are becoming more and more foreign to the deep fried American fare at other restaurants.
Don’t go with a super size me mentality, remember…it’s gourmet, local, organic, personally prepared. Slow down and savor each bite. In a world where most restaurants are serving over processed, nutritionally deficient food, it is a refreshing change of pace to go out for a long slow evening of dining. We spent about 3 hours each time we were there and I would rank it as one of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had.
Eric as our waiter/owner is a delight to “play” and banter with while dining. Our first time, we dined with 2 other tables of guests and enjoyed the intimacy of the place where you can also get to know your fellow diners. The second time was for our anniversary on a Wednesday night which we had the place to ourselves, which was equally as enjoyable.
As a fellow foodie, I have worked in many restaurants; dined in many more, as well as owned my own and I know what a true gem this is. In our world of fast food and junk food…Niles Gourmet is truly hidden treasure.

2  Thank JJ M

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Our experience involved a group of 11 people. Niles was eccentric and the owners enthusiastic...at least initially... however the prices, service and food portions were unbelievably unacceptable. Let me give you a few examples.
- 1 beer came up at $21 another at $16. There were no prices listed and no one asked but who would have thought beer would cost that much!
- The from 'scratch' food included dried-not fresh pasta and the portion might cover an 8 inch plate. Entrees ranged from $29-58. No condiments, bread basket (although he set the table with bread plates giving the illusion that something would be served.)
- Salads were from a mesculan garden, which I grow at home. A salad with mung bean sprouts-$17!
- We ended up being charged for meals we did not order.
- The dog was petted by the owner as cutlery was being distributed.
The kicker is that at the end of the meal-yes at the end the owner would not let us pay separately or in small groupings. He insisted that one of us put the $700 bill on one credit card and we could figure it out from there. It was not his job to figure out smaller bills!! We were not advised of this 'policy' prior to ordering. This created a 'scene' which the owner seemed OK with. Didn't seem concerned that this might affect business.

The food tasted good, I wouldn't say gourmet quality-but it was good.

I wouldn't recommend Niles-too much unpredictability around prices and service.

Instead try the Italian restarant in Auburn on the main street where service and customer satisfaction are a top priority.

6  Thank JLB61
Reviewed July 30, 2011

5 foodie friends and I ventured out to Niles for a lovely evening out. We were seated outside in a garden-type setting and after 20 minutes finally got our wine. It was downhill from there. The waiter-owner was very pretentious, with what proved to be a very overblown view of the food. The menu is on a blackboard and was almost impossible to read, particularly the prices.It took over an hour and a half to get our food and was definitely not worth the wait. It was terrible: gummy, undercooked gnocchi, a pizza with everything in the kitchen on it, and dishes that bore no resemblance to what we ordered. The biggest shock was the price for this awful meal. Because the prices on the board were illegible, we had neglected to see the $58 price of the pizza. Two words to the wise: Don't Go!

5  Thank doctorbones
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I'm going to be a bit more positive than the first two reviewers. The food we got was quite good, almost gourmet quality. But the serving sizes were pathetically small and the prices absurdly high. But the experience really is unique and I would recommend going once (not twice) if you can afford it. As noted, a well-meaning couple. She prepares the food totally from scratch one table at a time (you had better not be in a hurry to eat). He is the most entertaining person I have ever interacted with at a restaurant, basically spending his time going from table to table (which isn't hard, there are only about 4 tables) chatting with everyone about everything. Claimed he was a college hockey player who got hit by a puck too many times, and I can believe it - his attention span isn't the longest nor memory the best. But the whole vibe of the place encourages talk not only with him but with all the other diners. We really did have a very good time.

1  Thank chazzq
Reviewed August 25, 2010

The people who ran this place kept trying to sell me their overpriced foodstuffs (balsamic vinegar and such) while my wife and I were eating. They get these things at other gourmet stores and mark up the prices, but why buy from them when Wegmans and everywhere else is much cheaper. They don’t really put prices on their menu and seem to make things up. The kicker was when the bill arrived and they charged $8 for two middling tea bag teas. They have their dog hanging out in the kitchen and dining area–is this legal?

They hang their crappy handmade signs all over the area on telephone poles and such–more fall down than are up, nice pollution.

It's really sad to see the misleading good press in Edible Finger Lake and such magazines. The owners talk a good talk about slow food and organic, but their restaurant is really pathetic. The local press has such an inferiority complex it will never say anything critical about local establishments.

I will never go back.