“DISGUSTING and SLEAZY!! DO NOT STAY HERE”
Review of Inn at Monticello

Inn at Monticello
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Monticello
MYHEADSPACE, NY
“DISGUSTING and SLEAZY!! DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Where to start? I wish I could post the pictures I took. I arrived at 8:00 pm. Since we just had a blizzard and the plows created a 4-foot wide snow band along the entire length of the walkway (where the hotel room doors are), I had to literally heave my luggage up over the snowbank, and climb over it to get to my room. This after having been in a car accident and injuring my back not an hour prior to checking in. This hotel was right where the accident was, which is why I "chose" it. When I got in my room, I went to call the office to see if they could shovel me a small path to get out the next morning for a job interview. The phone didn't even work. So I went to the office and asked. They said "No, but you can come take the shovel and do it yourself." No problemo, I did it. No chain lock on the door, so the shovel mounted up against the door handle was perfect. The towels were FILTHY. Literallly, there was a crusty brown spot on one of the hanging towels in the bathroom, below the spider and spider's web. The tub had NO molding ~ just wide open spaces all around it, and top to bottom. The hairdryer had only one of the metal spikes where there are supposed to be two to plug it in. The sheets were filthy, too. And the room had a funky smell. Ick. No iron or ironing board, either. I paid $90 with a AAA discount for one of the "better" rooms (because it had a hot tub, which was really just a bathtub with jets sitting smack dab in the center of the room). When I called to complain, the staff were very rude. One guy said "well, the phone worked fine for me!" as if I purposely had an agenda that involved making the hotel room phone inoperable. When I complained about the snow and being unable to enter or exit my room safely (and I'm a very fit 40' year old) I was told, "Why didn't you ask sooner when maintenance was here?" Well, here's the thing. I didn't arrive here sooner. And for that matter, why should guests have to ask? One lady acted like she was doing me a favor by handing me a shovel.

I wouldn't stay at this place again if you paid me to.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
North Brunswick, NJ
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This motel is disgusting. I had reservations here for the night of 8/15. Went to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Was out in the heat all day from 2 PM to 11:30 PM. Hot, sweaty & tired. Got back to room at midnight. Had not seen room prior to this. Came in to FILTHY TOWELS. Went to front desk to get new towels. New ones did not look clean. MOLD in the tub and tub did not look clean. Needless to say, we went to bed dirty with not bath or shower. Did not bathe until we got home at noon on Sunday!!!Complained & asked for partial refund on the $146 bill. Offered TWELVE DOLLARS. NEVER, EVER STAY AT THIS MOTEL EVEN IF NO OTHERS HAVE ROOMS!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Monticello hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Had the opportunity to go up to Monticello again and stayed at the newly renovated Econo Lodge since we had a great experience last time. All the renovations seem to be complete now so we got a great room with all new furniture and remodeled bathrooms at a great rate. Econo Lodge is in center of town so it was easy to find great places to eat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Columbus OH
Reviewed July 14, 2009

This was by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The place was filthy and incredibly run-down. It smelled bad. There were damp spots on the carpet. The bed linens looked dirty and felt worse. I suspect bed bugs, as I got up with some itchy red bumped bites. The bathroom was dirty and horribly run down. I was booked for two nights, and could NOT get a refund from the manager. I was out all day after the first night and returned at 11:30 PM to find my room had not been cleaned and there were no clean linens or towels. I complained and the manager seemed puzzled. He had to ask his wife (?) whether they offered housekeeping service. And this was all for the highway robbery rate of $125 a night!! Disgusting, gross, and completely unprofessional!! The manager acted like it was my fault that I didn't like the room. The place is awful -- stay away. I recommend the Super 8 just down the road, which was clean, pleasant, and staffed by a very friendly and professional group of people.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 24, 2008

My dad and I stayed here last year because there was a motorcyle race in town. We had booked the Best Western; however, cancelled there due to high prices. The Econo Lodge was much cheeper; however, there were many reasons. Seeing that we wouldn't be there long, we didn't mind staying one night. We walked into the lobby and there was this rare odor, not one I enjoyed at all. Our particular room had a broken chain lock, so we ended up anchoring a chair against it for the night. The ceiling had a softball-sized whole in it above my bed. Although we checked the sheets and matresses, and they seemed to be fine. The shower and bathroom were also clean enough to use. The outside was nothing to look at, and the town itself is an older, more rundown town. The pool outside was clearly not used in years, and had much better tasting continental breakfasts. We were certainly not overall impressed, but places to stay in Monticello are very limited and seem to be similar. Odds are we will be staying here again September of 2008

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank reviewer2186
PHILADELPHIA
Reviewed April 30, 2008

This property was under construction but there were a few rooms available in a small section not under construction. Arrived about 10:30 PM and went to use the shower, there was no hot water. The young couple that owned the place acted like they didn't know about it and gave us a key to another room in the construction area to use the shower there. You had to go outside and through the parking lot to get there. They apologized and said they would take $15.00 off the bill as compensation but when we went to check out the next morning neither of them was to be seen so we left without an official checkout. I just received my credit card bill today and, of course, the $15.00 credit is nowhere to be seen. Needless to say I will never stay at this property again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Haifa
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We only stayed there because the motel we made reservations for didn't respect it, and we had no choice.
The room was dirty and small - after putting our suitcases it was hard to move around the place. The restroom looked (and smelled) so bad that we didn't dare entering it barefoot.
Breakfast was poor - we ended up bringing out own cereals.

Ori

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Liberty
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#2 of 3 in Liberty

Been to Inn at Monticello? Share your experiences!