“Wonderful Dinner!”

Old Homestead Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Came to have dinner with my family to celebrate my birthday. Everything was great. Had the large steak which was huge and loved every bite! Sautéed broccoli is delicious. Staff was very attentive and friendly. Couldn't have asked for a nicer time. Free birthday dessert too!
Definitely worth the trip.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I am a local who has frequented this restaurant many times over the last 10 years. They have always been known as the place to go for steak, although pricey. Three men in our group ordered a medium sized steak, which are in itself large, but were then delivered the largest steak, thereby being charged for the larger steak. We questioned the size but we're told this was what we ordered. No no not true. They have lost our patronage, as we have always had to watch there billing practice.

2  Thank 147Ctrail
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The best steak in Sullivan County. Love to bring friends to this great restaurant for a wonderful meal. The soft shell crab is the meatiest I have ever eaten. Save room for delicious desserts as well.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We arrived at 9 PM and it was clearly the last sitting and the staff wanted to clear up and go.

Our waiter was pretty weird and stank of fags. He a very poor attempt at humour that just made us feel uncomfortable.

My wife ordered a crab cocktail and it was served as lumps of crab on lettuce. I am not sure whether that is what a crab cocktail is. My crab cake was good, as was my oysters.

My wife had a steak with a pepper sauce which was excellent. My steak was good.

When we paid we left a 10% tip which was what was deserved. The waiter than heckled us saying that he needed 20% or he wouldn't get paid and the owner would think he was pocketing cash and would get fired. We gave in and changed the tip but it was akin to robbery.

This sort of behaviour spoils the Old Homestead and NYC in general. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Alice E, Owner at Old Homestead Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Sorry about your experience at the Old Homestead. We are located in upstate NY not NYC.
We just opened on May 2 for the season and after reading your bad review know you were
not at our restaurant.
Perhaps you can take a ride to Monticello and dine with us.

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been dining at the Old Homestead for more than 40 years. While it was far better in the old days, it's still an old standby. Yes it's pricey and yes the service isn't always stellar, but they know how to cook a steak perfectly. It's best to visit in the winter when it's quiet. Summer crowds bring hrs service and sometimes even good quality down. I would not go on a regular basis but rather only on a special occasion. Yes I miss the Homestead from the 70's but it's still good.