“The worst steak of all time!! Do not go here”
Review of Old Homestead Restaurant - CLOSED

Old Homestead Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“The worst steak of all time!! Do not go here”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

So aside from the poor out of date decor, I sat myself and waited for service, which took a while. (ps the restaurant was practically empty) The menu selection is poor and thw prices are steep. I ordered a filet mignon medium rare and it came back rare and practically still mooing. My friend ordered a strip steak that was cold and chewy. After waiting 10 minutes the waitress returned to my table and took the steaks back to cook mine some more and get another strip steak. She returned with my steak and it was cooked more but still undercooked and lacked any flavor whatsoever. The strip steak was still chewy and undercooked. When she came to collect my plate, I told her how disappointed we were with our steaks. When she returned with the bill we were still charged for the steaks which we had barely had eaten. After having to plea my case with the waitress, she removed only one steak from the bill. I eat at many restaurants and have had many steaks, but this has to be the absolute worst meal and service I have ever experienced. This is the one time that the trip advisor recommendation was wrong. Trust me when I tell you, do not waste your time or money at this establishment!

4 Thank Travelingfoodcritic23

Overland Park, Kansas
“What a great steak!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We are from Kansas City, where few other steaks can compare. This was a memorable steak. Thede is not a cut of meat less than 12oz. The baked sweet potato was a great alternative. Excellent service.

• Visited October 2012
los angeles,ca
“AS good as it was 50 years ago”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had not visited my hometown in 30 years.One of my family's favorites then was this restaurant. So when my husband and I visited this year ,we went to the Old Homestead. We were seated in a reasonably short period of time at a comfortable quiet table. The menu sure looked inviting The steaks were delicious and done perfectly. There was one odd glitch.The server told my husband that the chef did not recommend "rare" for the ribeye steak. When asked why, she gave an answer that didn't make sense. My husband ordered his steak-very rare-anyway. It was perfect. If some people think this restaurant is expensive, please come to a Los Angeles steakhouse and you will see what "pricey" is. What a good restaurant! May it go on for many more years.

• Visited September 2012
Hawthorne, New Jersey
“Pricey but excellent”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

had a small wait but lively conversaton at the bar made it move quickly,\. food was excelent, and service pretty good (excellent when you got their attention). prices were a bit high for the area tho. thought some dished were a bit crazy, but overall a wonderful place!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank kenandkarenr
New York City, New York
“Surprising gem in the woods :)”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We didn't expect to find a Manhattan-level restaurant in Catskills. We'll definitely be back, I don't think there are any comparable restaurants in the area.

• Visited August 2012