“Pricey but excellent”

Old Homestead Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2012

had a small wait but lively conversaton at the bar made it move quickly,\. food was excelent, and service pretty good (excellent when you got their attention). prices were a bit high for the area tho. thought some dished were a bit crazy, but overall a wonderful place!

1  Thank kenandkarenr

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We didn't expect to find a Manhattan-level restaurant in Catskills. We'll definitely be back, I don't think there are any comparable restaurants in the area.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have been going to The Old Homestead once a year or so since I was a little kid and have seen a steady decline in the service. The food remains very good and that is why I continue to go. We stood in the foyer for over 10 minutes with several people telling us that the hostess would be with us shortly. This would be understandable to some extent but the place was not all that busy. I would recommend staying away from the shrimp scampi appetizer it was 11.95 for 4 shrimp. The steak is a good value and cooked to perfection. We had a revolving door of servers and they were not attentive at all. We were left looking at our finished dinner plates for well over 15 minutes. I would not be all that picky about it but when you go to a more upscale restaurant you would expect at least average service. The decor is dated and has remained the same for well over the last 20 years. It is also kind of cramped inside and can be a little bit loud.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've been coming to the Old Homestead for years. I've NEVER had a bad nor mediocre meal here. Steaks are always served perfectly-seared on the outside. I like mine medium rare--this is the one place I can consistently get my steak served medium rare. Steaks are prepared properly. I've dined in NYC, Munich, Paris, Prague, Florence, ect. But, I love having a good steak here!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

The best steak you can find. I've been going here for 45 years, and I have NEVER had anything less that a perfect steak. The staff is warm and welcoming, the atmosphere is quaint. To the previous review who said it needed remodeling; be aware that it was originally a hotel built around 1800, and they want to keep the original feeling of it. And to the reviewer who had a burnt steak? That is their special secret of sealing in the flavor -- they "char" the steak. If you prefer your steak without the crispy outside, request that it not be charred.

My ONLY complaint all these years? They changed the house salad. The new way they make salad is diner grade, compared to the original.

The most entertaining feature of the whole restaurant? Stop at the bar, and have a drink with the bartender, Cousin Lenny. He's a great guy, and quite the character !