All reviews bed and breakfast b b's breakfast was delicious isabella room private bathroom rocking chairs wine trail entire stay great weekend new york city
Reviewed August 17, 2016

This was our first visit to the Hudson River Valley - and we were pleased with our choice to stay with the friendly folks at the Borland House. If you are a seasoned B&B guest - this location comes with a twist that might be new to you (as it was to us). As was mentioned in another post, Borland House is also open to the public as a boutique-style brunch stop. This adds the chance for a bit of variety with the guests you might run into (although we only interacted with patrons who were also overnight guests).

When checking-in you are given a $30 voucher to use towards brunch in the dining room the next morning. We were on a relaxed schedule, so the 9am start time didn't affect our plans - but I could see how it has the potential to delay your day. The food was quite simply the highlight of the stay. We had a 3-day stay and sampled several of Ana's offerings...all of them outstanding. This region offers some great summer and fall fruit harvests - and Ana definitely takes advantage of that fact with her local farm-to-table influenced menu. One piece of advice - if she has an item with locally sourced peaches - order it!

Everyone on staff (which includes a few of Ana's family members) was extremely friendly and tries to make you feel at home. The stay offers a relaxed environment as most B&B experiences do. We stayed in a comfortable and large room (Montgomery Room) with a dedicated bath (required to traverse a shared hall space, but their offering of a plush bathrobe is a nice touch). One thing which was a bit odd was the fact that the air conditioning thermostat was behind a locked cover (felt a bit middle-school-esque), but something which we quickly adjusted to by just letting the staff know when we expected to be back for the evening. We stayed during a period of extreme heat - and the duration was a bit longer than most people stay at a B&B...so it is admittedly a quirky thing to notice.

We loved the town (great dinner spots within walking distance) - and had a wonderful time visiting some local villages and tourist spots during our visit (wine tours, Hyde Park, Val-Kil, Vanderbilt Mansion, Hudson River Cruise, West Point).

The staff said most of their guests visited from NYC - and I can imagine that this location offers some great diversions from the fast-paced lifestyle that they are escaping. Whatever your reason for visiting The Borland House may be - you will surely enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: The King bed in the Montgomery Room is a nice offering for a B&B.
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2016

I am at a lost for words when it comes to describing The Borland House. When attempting to explain my experience to friends and family, the first adjective that comes to mind is "amazing". The second "gorgeous". Truth be told, I miss it. I had the absolute pleasure of staying with Anna and her family for almost four weeks. Did we originally plan to stay for that long? No, not at all. We actually didn't even plan to stay, we simply stopped in for breakfast while checking out the town. My family and I were originally scheduled to stay in another establishment; however, due to unforeseen circumstance, we were seeking an alternative location to call home for the month of July. We found it at the The Borland House. Why there? Two seconds with Anna and you would completely understand. This is the job she was meant to do. Her personality, her kind-heart, her hospitality, and her cooking skills!! The food was unbelievable! We just adored her. During our stay, we had the pleasure of meeting the rest of Anna's family and her staff. The young man that works there, let's just say if my boys are half as wonderful as he is at his age, I would be one lucky mom! He is so sweet, kind, polite, and respectful. Anna's parents were like a second family for us. The conversations, the laughter, just writing this makes me sad as I already miss them so much. If you don't believe me - find out for yourself. As much as I am happy to be home, if I could do it all over again with The Borland House - I would.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2016

Beautiful Greek Revival Style B & B right in the middle of a lovely town. Everything you need is within a few blocks walk. Your host Anna goes out of her way to make you feel like it's your home. Home is like stepping back into the early 1800's. If you love early American old world charm this the place for you. Anna has seen to the smallest detail to ensure you have a wonderful stay. The decorations throughout the home are a great mix of styles, from the traditional to the funky. And if that's not enough, Anna is a great chef with a eclectic menu that's always changing and imaginative. Can't say enough about our stay. Anna's folks are great fun too!

Room Tip: Montgomery Room is a bit more but well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2016

It is a great location8n and the accommodation was terrific. Our room was small but very private and all facilites were great. We had booked as a bed and breakfast, assuming the breakfast was included. Instead, there was a credit voucher for the breakfast that could be used towards the cost of the breakfast. The dining room doesn't open until 9 which is late for those of us wanting to get going with the day. The menu is definitely a brunch menu, not a breakfast menu. The food was very tasty and wonderfully presented. However, there is a charge for every cup of coffee which is unusual in most bed and breakasts so be forwarned. It is easy to go over the credit voucher. Coffee was grim, very weak and lukewarm which I imagine was just a one time glitch but made the extra charges a bit hard to accept. Will stay again for the location, the town and the accommodation but maybe pass onnthe breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
annafrumes, Owner at The Borland B&B & Brunch House, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2016

We are happy you had a nice time with us at the Borland House. We are sorry to hear your breakfast experience was less than perfect. We do open at 9 but have tried to make breakfast more available for guests by allowing them to come to breakfast at their convenience anytime they like after 9am.

Our breakfast certificates for guests cover entrees and drinks and should only go over if guests decide to explore our unique farm-to table menu beyond that. We do only have a one time charge in the dining room for coffee with unlimited refills and free coffee for guests in all rooms. If your $30 certificate included in the room rate did not cover breakfast entrees and coffee please contact me directly and we will make sure you are credited for that.

I will also immediately look into any problems with the quality of our coffee which we are very proud of, supporting a wonderful local roaster, Nobel Roasting Company.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon,
Anna
Manager and Chef

Reviewed June 19, 2016

My wife and I spent two wonderful days @ Borland House. It was a home away from home. Warm friendly hostess, splendid home cooked food with fresh ingredients. We chose the smaller room but was had adequate space for 2. The feel inside the house is of a past era, that one would see depicted in a movie set in late 1800's.
Short driving distance to many attractions, nature parks, fine wineries, distilleries as well as the famous West Point Academy.
Overall a beautiful place, wonderful service and worth every penny.

Room Tip: Any room is truly worth it
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple