“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Several friends regularly tout this place, so I have given it more than a few tries. It basically is an average diner with ambient lighting. I give it an average because it is a very nice location and the restaurant, albeit a bit dark (which worries me to some degree) has a very nice atmosphere. That said, for the price, the food quality is not there, and the service tends to be hit or miss. There are significantly better alternatives in the immediate area. I'll give it another shot in the future just because I really, really want this restaurant to meet the expectations, but they need to get the food quality up.

2  Thank Schemeroo

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I went to 88 Charles Street for a business diner. We started with Italian appetizers that were very tasty. The menu is large and mainly based on Italian food.
I took the veal valdostana with penne. As an European I find it overcooked but globally it was a good dishe. I liked very much the sauce that was flavored with lemon.
My colleagues also appreciated the diner.
The staff is friendly.

1  Thank FamilleDF
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

If you need pampering and elegance this is the place to go..the service was perfect, I was happy the food quality was great since it was on the higher priced side. For lunch the menu was packed with nice choices.. I had escargot, mmm..It was all very good, everyone was happy with their entrees. The portions were just right, but not microscopic .. We didn't stay for dessert, but it was all a very nice celebration luncheon for the 12 of us!

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Not a bad place but very over priced. And you can definitely get better Italian food elsewhere. I would probably not be making a return visit.

1  Thank trboy1
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We love 88 Charles St.! Really great food but it's a little far for us so we only go a few times a year. Very nice for a special day. The service is very good and the owner always comes by your table to check on you, I really like that. Excellent dishes and nice variety. If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with great food & awesome service, this is it!