“awful and overpriced”

Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
“awful and overpriced”
Reviewed September 17, 2005

The place is an absolute joke. For 270 dollars a night my wife and I were totally disappoinited. From the second we arrived we knew it was a mistake. The parking situation is awful. Anyone can park there, whether a guest or not, leaving the paying customers to fight over which spaces may or may not be remaining. Our room smelled awful, the carpet and furniture was cheap and stained. The towel rack was missing in the bathroom. The patio furniture was covered in bird droppings. They actually had the nerve to request that guests use their towels more than once to save on their laundry $. Do yourself a favor, skip this place, spend the extra $ and stay at a place where the staff actually respects and accomodates its guests.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed September 1, 2005

Took my kids there in August '05, ages 4 and 7 they loved it. As an adult I can tell you I've been to the wavecrest about 7 times over the years
I guess I keep going because I don't need any surprises. But the Hotel definately hasn't been touched in 10 years, my room had a 19" TV, and the drapery had lots of missing slats in it making waking up at sunrise very easy wether you want to or not. Horrible pots and dishes, small fridge. The only redeming thing is that you can walk right out onto the beach so if your kids like the beach and you not picky with the room or polite staff, you'll be OK. , but one day I'll find a better place.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Secretary of the board of directors- Wavecrest at Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2006
Wavecrest offers the most beautiful location on the ocean in Montauk. We have invested approximately 600 thousand dollars in renovation this year and last, and have plans for twice that in the next few seasons. Although we have over 5000 guests per year, there are no excuses for any complaints about staff. Our staff are local talent that know every inch of Montauk. The management company has currently provided extensive and expensive training to these people. Your arrival, stay, and departure will be an outstanding experience this season and in the future.
ny
Reviewed August 26, 2005

except for the females that check you in and answer phones and take resavations.nice quit family place away from the crowed town area would of purchaced one of the rooms for sale but ive been going for years and until they update the live in staff that are misarable people ill just visit.after you check in and get away from the check in area nice vacation.
excluding the maintance boss with the great fishing tips

Stayed September 2003
5 Thank daddymommybobbyvinny
Long Island
Reviewed August 4, 2005

Just returned from a stay at the Wavecrest from 8/2-8/4. I have been going to Montauk every summer for 10 years, and I have stayed at the Wavecrest before. Upon arrival I was not allowed to check in, I did arrive a bit early. However, I was not even allowed to settle the bill, so I had to carry my cash to the beach. The staff was rude, and basically told me they wouldn't bother with me until the 2:00 check in time. I was given a parking pass and went right to the beach. The wavecrest is right on the beach which is ideal. They also provide chairs and umbrellas and have a boy there who will bring them down and set them up for you...this is a great perk. However, the beach was the most crowded I have ever seen in Montauk and it wasnt even a weekend. We stayed in room 110 (or 10 as they called it). It was not the first room I was given. My original room I believe was 140 in the panorama section. It was AWFUL! When I opened the door the smell was enough to make me sick. It smelled musty, moldy and like stale cigarettes. (I requested non-smoking, but it didnt matter). The fridge was unplugged and warm (which was horrible because I had brought food that needed to be cooled after being on the beach in my cooler). The smell coming from the fridge was disgusting, and when I tried to put the air conditioner on it didnt work. I was clearly unhappy, so I went to the office for a room change. The office staff was not happy about my complaints and said they only had one room to offer me. I checked it out (room 10) and it was much smaller...but didnt smell and had working air conditioning. It was the winner. I got some money back for taking a smaller room. The bed in this room was so terrible that I felt like I was sleeping on a wood plank. There were dead bugs in the bathroom, and the carpet was damp. For the money I paid ($220 a night), I expected nicer, cleaner facitilties. The indoor pool was so dirty and rundown that I wouldnt go near it! Overall, this place is in a great location, but needs major updating. I will not return to the Wavecrest again.

6 Thank cpisarski

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Deer Park, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2005

We went to the Wavecrest for Father's day weekend. I wasn't expecting much since I had read the reviews and I didn't want to be disappointed. I simply wanted a place to sleep that was close to the ocean. That's basically what we got. We choose a upper room in the Water's Edge building room #172. The rooms were okay. We had an efficiency style kitchenette, which provided the basics. The bath vanity was outside the bathroom across from the kitchen counter. The bathroom itself consisted of a small toilet, which was hard to flush and a small shower stall that took forever for the water to drain. The beds were only fullsize and very hard. We added a cot to the room for our youngest child. Good thing she only weighed 65 pounds since the mattress was very thin. No way an adult could sleep on it. The room decor was updated (except the bathroom) and the rooms were clean except for the sand in the rug which I guess comes with the territory. The deck overlooking the ocean was nice although the indoor/outdoor carpeting on the deck should be eliminated or replaced. It seemed old and damp. The hotel itself was quiet and we had no problem with noises overhead since we chose the upper floor. The indoor pool is actually located in the exposed basement of this building accessible by going outside, down the stairs and around back. The pool is heated and the kids liked it since the ocean was still too cool to go for a swim. The bad part is it was only open until 5pm, which is very early since most places with a pool keep the pool opened until at least 8pm. The pool staff was very friendly as was the guy who brought the chairs and chaise lounges to the beach for you. The beach had a slope to it that made it hard for the younger kids to enjoy the water's edge. The beach was only a short walk from the lower parking lot and you had to go down a small dune to reach the main part. Some wooden stairs would have made it an easier climb. Despite the things I mentioned I had a relaxing stay. Thoroughly enjoyed just laying on the chaise while the kids played in the sand. Had a nice lunchtime bbq under their small pavillion and the staff kept the area and the grills clean. Nice sleeping with the sliders open and listening to the ocean waves. After reading many reviews of other motels in the area it seems as if we got a better price($165 night) for the same type and quality of place that others paid more for. Gurney's is nice but way overpriced. We stayed there in the winter once and they have lots of little fees. I wouldn't want to pay the summer rates.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank d0nna136
Reviewed January 30, 2005

Place appears nice at first, with rooms adequately clean, nice beach and indoor pool. Unfortunately, the staff was RUDE, DISHONEST, and HORRIBLE. The absolute last straw occurred on the last day of our stay, we had all our stuff packed and planned to go for one last quick dip. We left all our belongings neatly packed by the door with the intention to check-out in the next hour. Upon our return we found the door wide open and an outside contracted (not hotel staff) repairman in our room trying to fix the air conditioner. This repairman had taken apart the unit, and scattered dirty a/c parts all over the kitchenette table, the couch the floor, etc. When we complained to the VERY RUDE (and weird) staff maintenance guy who showed up to our room after quite some time- he replied that we shouldn't complain and that he could get us kicked out! My husband was upset (but NOT irrational or cursing) and complained to the front desk manager who refused to take responsiblity. They said they couldnt do anything about that situation (nor offered any apology). As for the hotel maintenance man, they said they could not do or say anything to him either, since he had been with them for many years (so WHAT?!!!). Furthermore, they accused my husband of having cursed at the hotel receptionist- which he had NOT (truly!)! When I asked why this stranger (not hotel staff) was let in and not even monitored (my pocketbook was right there on the bed!), the manager said that the maintenance man had only left for "a minute"....They also claimed to have tried to call us, but when they could not reach us they decided to take "full responsibility"..which means they do whatever they please and visitors have no say..Needless to say, this was a very upsetting experience to us, particularly when it occurred in the presence of our young child. Hotel guests beware!!!!!

• Stayed August 2003
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yonkers, NY
Reviewed September 9, 2004

The Wavecrest has a homey family appeal -- it is not the most luxurious place, but the rooms are clean and adequately furnished. I found the beach and pool staff to be very friendly and helpful. I love the ocean view and the sound of the waves crashing just outside my room. I look forward to a return visit next year.

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank KathyE55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
Ocean Surf Resort
#2 of 6 in Amagansett
Montauk Blue Hotel
Montauk Blue Hotel
#9 of 39 in Montauk

Been to Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!