“Half great/Half horrible”

Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Mount Kisco, New York
“Half great/Half horrible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Only 2 buildings are "on" the beach. The rest are "many" steps up and set back. Those have great views but not easy on the knees with luggage. Some rooms are updated nicely...most are not. Our crew had 8 rooms so I saw a lot of them. Decor is totally inconsistent. It's hit or miss. Some are carpeted, some have wood floors w/ area rugs. Some have full refrigerators/kitchens and some have tiny fridge, no oven, etc. Totally inconsistent so ask for what you want and be specific. Some were c. 1960's, others were more contemporary/modern. Mine was super clean but really scratchy, ugly bedspread and carpet. Some had books/games, others did not. Rooms were clean. Staff was nice. They don't let you keep chairs past 6pm which is awful if you like the beach at night w/ a fire. That said, chair guys are very nice. Nice area to BBQ and nice tables to eat outside, relax. Lounge cushions need a washing. There is NO wi-fi despite what their website says. Leave computer home! Don't bother. Cell phone service is very spotty. No cell service in the rooms at all - must stand outside and walk in circles until you get lucky! 5 minute drive to town - not bad at all. Locals said Wavecrest has nice new owners who are trying to update it but each unit owned individually so it's up to each owner to update their unit. If these rooms were all updated and they had decent cell/wi-fi service it would be the best place in Montauk. Spacious beach, not crowded at all. No restaurant on site though. That's ok. Overall, I'd go back - I know what to expect. I don't expect 4 star ANYWHERE in Montauk. If you know a true one, let me know!

Room Tip: If you can't do stairs specify a ground floor unit. Ask Pam at front desk which rooms are updat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bravo_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed at the Wavecrest a few weeks ago. Went out there with my wife to forget about all the damage Sandy had caused us. We have rebuilt, and it was nice to just get away for a weekend out in Montauk. . Pam, at the front desk , couldn't have helped us more. She suggested some great places to eat. Her, and the rest of the front desk people we met helped make it a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I have been going to the Wavecrest for over 40 years and my parents before us. Yes, we are "seasoned travelers" Europe, Florida, California, Carribean...but there is something really special and exciting about having the ocean waves crashing right in front of you, even from your bed! We love going to the "beach dune" room on the top. We stayed on the bottom also a few times and the ocean came in under our room a bit! Wow! We've watched unbelievable lightning shows and beautiful starlit nights from the "beach dune." You can't beat these rooms. It's a real experience and extremely romantic!

Room Tip: Like I said "beach dune" otherwise ask how many steps to the other rooms. Some are quite h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meembug
Huntington Station, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Not being a very experienced traveler, I wasn't familiar with the differences in terminology as per :"ocean view" "ocean side" "steps to the ocean " etc. Bitter experience has taught me to always google earth, which I did for Wavecrest. This place is ON the beach. Our clean, bright, corner studio had 2 spectacular views of the beach and of Hither HIlls State park. The deck was truly private and had 2 comfortable chaises and other chairs as well. The kitchenette was clean, everything was working properly and there was plenty of storage room. The bed was comfortable and their was immediate hot water. Even though our building had plenty of visitors it was quiet at night. The only issue was the TV was a little small, but that only mattered as I was trying to see the score on the basketball game, and that made it a little hard. But it was the most perfect room and view I could ever hope to ask for. I will always go there when I go to Montauk from now on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nuala1_11
North Bellmore, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've stayed in many different Montauk hotels so I understand that most are outdated and not luxury hotel rooms...
My husband and I stayed in the Beach Dune building back in September...and while the location was amazing (you could almost dive into the ocean from your deck)...the room itself was disgusting. Based on the feedback on this site, we asked if our room was updated when we booked it and we were told Yes. I am scared to find out what rooms are like that are "not updated". Our sliding door that went onto our deck was missing a pretty significant piece (preventing us from being able to lock the door), the light fixture was too small - leaving holes in the ceiling, we found multiple long black hairs in the bed (I'm blonde...my husband has a buzz cut!). Overall, we were expecting a romantic weekend but this place gave us the creeps!! We will not be returning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jenn M

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

There was nothing like opening the door and sitting on the porch overlooking the ATLANTIC with crashing waves and thousands of stars in sight. The staff was excellent and the service was great. And to top it off the fishing was excellent. Can't wait to next year to come back

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank BigV1030
Huntington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Wavecrest resort in the Overlook building in one of the recently renovated privately owned (it's a Coop) rooms on the first floor. The corner room was nicely furnished with a new king sized bed, very clean and comfortable all around. The staff was very friendly and made us feel right at home. However the best part was the fantastic view of the ocean from the open deck. We were there during the off shore storm week after Labor Day and the waves were amazing to see. Caught some great surfers near the light house. The units all have kitchens with full size refrigerators and stove/oven that allow for in room dining or, if you prefer, outside on one of the many bar-b-ques. In door olympic sized pool in case of bad weather. A close walk to Gurneys for formal or informal dining and entertainment and to Hither Hills State park. We highly recommend this resort especially for families or couples weekends.
We plan on going back next season and have told all our friends.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the recently renovated rooms with king size beds and also the corner units which are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jason B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
Ocean Surf Resort
Sea Crest on the Ocean
Sea Crest on the Ocean
#2 of 6 in Amagansett
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa

Been to Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!