“Management Lack of Attention” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Driftwood on the Ocean

Driftwood on the Ocean
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Management Lack of Attention”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed four nights, June 9 - 12. Kids running up and down the wooden walkway, walls paper thin. Noise level extremely high. This is not your place for rest and relaxation. For a "suite" this was hardly an ideal setting. Management basiclly non responsive to my request to leave early without penalty. No mgmt on duty after 7 P.M. None on duty when I checked out at 8:30. Still have not received copy of bill after two requests. After obtaining name of owner of property worte letter of complaint to the owner. Much like the management of the property, the owner never responded.

Room Tip: If you've never stayed in Montauk before and you're looking for quiet, this is not the place...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simmons1146

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Middle Village, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

My immediate as well as extended family get together yearly out in Montauk for a reunion vacation. We are usually a group of between 20 to 35 guests. We have stayed at the Driftwood in past years and although there are always some issues and inconveniences we have overall enjoyed the resort and location. The rooms and amenities have been satisfactory but never outstanding. We were pleased by the upgrades to the tennis courts, BBQ and playground area. The additional equipment in the gym was nice. The game room could certainly use some attention but overall the renovations were positive and appealing. However, the customer service at the resort is an issue that should not be ignored.
We checked in on Monday afternoon and were given accommodation as promised with two double beds and kitchenette. But, the tub was already backed up with sandy scummy water. This disturbed me for obvious reasons but especially since we were travelling with two toddlers. Anyone with small children knows a dirty tub is not an acceptable, sanitary way to clean and care for them. Additionally the shower head was not detachable so we couldn’t even give them a shower with their swim shoes on to protect their feet. The management at the front desk was immediately notified of this issue on Monday evening. After a half hour passed and no one came to the room or called. I called a second time and was told the ‘maintenance guy” left for the day and he would come first thing in the morning. Tuesday morning comes and goes and no “maintenance guy”. Several trips to the front desk and phone calls were fruitless since no one arrived until after 10 am. The front desk at this point reported that they were unaware of a problem in our room (#62) but would send someone to look once she “settled down”. An hour later someone arrived and spent 45 minutes trying to snake out our tub. It didn’t work and he says that he will return with acid to clear the drain. He did not return. The next morning I contacted the desk again and spoke with the manager “Sandy” about our situation. She tells me the “real maintenance guy” was off the previous day and she will send him today. Perry showed up quickly and was very pleasant. He informed us that this was an ongoing issue and that the owner knows about it and there was a plan to rip out this tub and redo the pipes and grading in the room after the season. There wasn’t anything he could do the clear the drain at this point. So this was an issue and they are still booking this room without hesitation.
At this point I had been bringing two toddlers to various family members’ rooms several times a day to get them cleaned up because our tub was not suitable for washing them. I was annoyed that this issue was known to be occurring when we checked in and instead of appropriately dealing with it and being honest with us we were strung along and treated like idiots expecting that the tub could be fixed. “Sandy’s” solution was that we would have to “deal with it” at this point because the drain could not be fixed. When I asked if there were other rooms available, only then she thought to ask the girl at the computer to check. Of course there were no rooms. No apology, and no sensitivity to the situation. To add insult to the injury, I was called off the beach on Thursday afternoon b/c the front desk was trying to check someone into our room and was wondering why we were still there. Our check out date was for Friday. After packing up my children and dragging them from the beach to the reception area, the front desk told me, that Sandy had given the keys to room #61 to someone and they assumed that it was us and that we had moved into this room the day before. What?! The incompetence, lack of communication, complete disregard for the guests’ time, money, and convenience is simply unacceptable. With this attitude to put no effort to satisfy on even the lowest level we left feeling duped and will certainly not be returning.

Room Tip: The rooms by the beach are nicest and a beautiful location but lots of families so you have to be mi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank laura l
manhattan beach, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is a great place for family down time.
We love the low-key facilities. If you need luxe amenities, then this place is definitely not for you.

Its right on the beach and the ocean front units have their own BBQ grill.
There's a pool, tennis court and simple activities room which are all great for kids.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank m t
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We have been coming to Driftwood for years, and it just keeps getting better and better. The location next to Hither Hills is unmatched, as you have 2 miles of private protected secluded beach right next door if you want to get away. We stayed in the same room as always, #11, which is hands down the best room in the hotel. Newly renovated this year, all new appliances, loads of outlets, beautiful stone and tile work, dishwasher, huge fridge, gorgeous bathroom, better than our home! And open the back door and you are on the dunes leading to the beach! Room 11 is the closest room in the entire property to the beach. This is the best property in the entire east end, and room 11 is the best room. You can't go wrong!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 11, it is the best!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Let's talk about the WORST - handsdown WORST - customer service in the world. I would NEVER recommend staying at this resort. I was scheduled to arrive in Montauk for a wedding on a Friday night and had a reservation to stay the night at Driftwood that night. I arrived at 9PM to Montauk and went straight to the rehearsal dinner. While I was attending the rehearsal I received a phone call from the hotel, but NO VOICEMAIL. When I called back after the rehearsal dinner, the office was closed. Having never been to Montauk before, I was so worried that I would not be able to get into my room. The bride's family who lives in Montauk told me that I should come and stay at their home, worried that I would not be able to get into my room. Talk about an inconvenience. The next morning I went to Driftwood at 8AM to find an envelope on the door with instructions on how to get to my room & notifying me that my room door would be open. First - who would leave a room door to a hotel open?! Anyone could enter that room while it is unattended and unlocked. Secondly - why did no one from the hotel leave me a voicemail to let me know that they would be doing this? I took the map and walked to my room, which was so hard to find because the xerox copy had not been updated since who knows when, and the resolution of the map was horrific. Upon finding my room, I see that the door is actually OPEN. There were bugs in the room from the night before. I was actually worried to go in the room, thinking anyone could be in there. I was so upset, and the office did not open for another 30 mins. When I went to the office the assistant manager who was on duty was so rude to me, telling me that it was "not in their policy to leave me a voicemail". It seemed like common sense to me. I was so disgusted by the way that I was treated, I left. I didn't even want to enter the room because I was afraid they would use any reason to not refund me. After the wedding weekend I called to speak to the manager Sandy. It was ridiculously hard to get her on the phone - she never once returned any of my phone calls. When I finally did get her on the phone the attitude that she gave me was UNREAL. You would think that she would have some hospitality training after being appointed a manager. She didn't want to listen to my story - said that their policy is to leave the room open and a notification on the door. No where on their website is this explained - and lastly no one notified me that this would be the case if I were to arrive late. Ridiculous. She put me on hold, and then transferred me without telling me to the assistant manager who did not help me the weekend I was there! It was obvious that she did not want to deal with the issue. When I asked to speak to her again she picked up the phone and said - "MAM, WE ARE GIVING YOU A REFUND." Great.... but the whole point was for me to explain to them how ridiculous this practice is, and unsafe. You would think that a manager would want to hear about liability issues with their hotel, but she did not want to even apologize. I would recommend never staying there. The room is not worth it - my room was full of bugs - the bed was super hard - the shower was like it belonged in a trailer. Not worth the money, and definitely not worth the attitude if you are looking for a relaxing vacation. Stay at a different resort. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of traveling there, and helps to keep them from having the same experience I did.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank TheesM
, Manager at Driftwood on the Ocean, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
In reference to the above mentioned post I would like to say that I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced, we do have a late arrival procedure that we do follow, I realize since you arrived in Montauk later than planned, and didn't have enough time to check in and relax before your rehearsal dinner, it must have been very trying for you and I understand that when you called and no one answered you were concerned. Our office is open until 11pm and we have an on sight superintedant who resides on the property for lock outs etc. I did not intend to be short with you and I was made aware by my assistant of your issues and concerns that is why I refunded your money. I take pride in my position as Manager and again I apologize for the misunderstanding. As you can see from other posts Driftwood is a clean facility with friendly staff,who go above and beyond to make peoples stay enjoyable. I would also like to extend a courtesy to you and invite you back to driftwood when you have time to come and relax and see all that we have to offer.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at Driftwood in early May when we went out to the Hamptons to investigate summer rentals. The room was lovely and spacious and recently renovated. Our only complaint was that due to the cool temperatures and humidity, the floor was cold and damp. If you didn't wear slippers or shoes your feet got wet walking on the floor barefoot. The proximity to the beach is great. The staff and manager were very helpful. We would return to this property-and my husband would bring slippers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathi H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

What a lovely little oceanside spot in Montauk! My husband and I stayed here for the weekend in mid-September 2011. We arrived on Friday to a perfectly clean and organized 2 room oceanfront (dune & ocean view). The traffic was awful coming from the city, so we were happy to see that they had thought of everything for us, as we were hungry! Picked up some groceries and grilled by the moonlight. They even provided wood and charcoal. We did have to run out quickly for lighter fluid though, as the front desk had given away the last bottle earlier that day. The place was actually pretty full for the slower season, but still quiet and relaxing. The room was stocked with tons of kitchen utensils. The only thing is that there's no oven (only a stove top), but you don't really need it. The room was clean and orderly, and everything worked. Not the most swanky or up-to-date interiors, so don't expect to be floored by that. Also, a lot of tiny ants in the kitchen, but I suppose it's to be expected being right there at the dunes. The pool was clean and refreshing. My husband did go for a swim. We walked on the ocean, cooked dinner and brunch, and visited nearby East Hampton and the Montauk lighthouse, of course. All in all, it was absolutely enjoyable. I give it 4 stars only because I reserve 5 stars for perfection, but this is as good as it gets. Thank you for a lovely anniversary by the ocean!

Room Tip: I definately recommend the oceanfront rooms, even though they are a little more expensive. Totally w...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Erin G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
Royal Atlantic Beach Resorts
Montauk Blue Hotel
Montauk Blue Hotel
#9 of 39 in Montauk

Been to Driftwood on the Ocean? Share your experiences!