“Great stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sail Inn of Montauk
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
columbia, nj
“Great stay”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Very nice stay. Clean rooms, close to whatever you want to do, very frendly staff. Great bartender.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I was expecting a lot less...we booked two nights in August four days in advance on a whim and were happy to find somewhere affordable. We had pretty low expectations, but Sail Inn has its charms (lack of rust isn't one of them). The top floor rooms in the back overlook Long Island Sound and a scruffy patch of land which deer pop up in.
The wifi worked well, the towels were soft, clean and large enough, the bed was comfortable and the decor was quite pleasant, the water pressure got our sand off.
The staff were friendly and accommodating.
Really a very nice surprise.
Loved being in the Montauk harbor area, not the main spot of town but plenty of stuff in walking distance and away from the traffic of the main drag.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dyspepsic
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Reviewed July 22, 2010

When we pulled in I got a rock in my stomach instantly...disgusting first appearance...all dead hanging flower planters all over...like they have tried surviving 6winters...The people at the desk where absolutely gross...very dirty, and unatractive when you walk in...apparently its the sleeze bar of the town as well...They failed to mention that when you make resrvations!
After checking in it just got worse from there...
The rooms were disgusting!
the door was broken, the bathroom door didnt close, the bathroom sink was older then the colonial days, and had mold, and nasty stuff all over it!
I brushed my teeth with bottled water all weekend
there were two very gross beds with stains all over them...the floors had dirt on them, and it smelled!
I actually cried the first hour we arrived...our family saved all oyr money to go on this vacation, and it was such a dissapointment to have to stay there...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacation33987
new york
Reviewed August 19, 2009

person on the phone when making reservations had a bad attitude. Room reeked of cigerette smoke. The bed sheets were old and stained alittle. Not for mother and daughter getaway to the beach.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank lady54NewYork
NYC
Reviewed March 26, 2009

This was the worst motel I have ever stayed in. The man at the front desk was rude, and very unprofessional. Anytime my husband and I asked for directions or if he could recommend any places to eat he would give us short answers while talking on his cell phone. The rooms were unclean, and our nonsmoking room smelled of smoke. Would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Momof2_9
Babylon, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Sail Inn last October and we hope to do so again. The owners were wonderful and so accomodating and friendly. When I first called to make the reservation, I had absolutely no problem and they even let me make my reservation without a credit card hold - (that's absolutely unheard of today). The room was clean, (we had one on the first level) and it was in walking distance of Gossmers Pier and the marina. We had a wonderful time, and while it is no frills - we did have a whirlpool tub, and the room was a nice size. Go and enjoy - oh and if you're a fan of the original King Kong movie - ask the owner about his father - he was one of the stunt pilots at the end of the movie.....

• Liked — I liked that it was peaceful and relaxing, while being near things.
  • Disliked — There was no water view, but I only had to walk around the block to be at the marina!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I would've liked to stay at Sail Inn, but unfortunately the process for making a reservation with this hotel was extremely painful and futile. I called one night to make a reservation and was told to call back the next morning to book a room that was available. I did, and no one picked up. Called back later and was told to call after 3pm for the room that was still available. Called back after 3pm and was told to call back after 5pm. Called back after 5pm and what do you know, the room was no longer available.

I can't imagine service to guests of the hotel is much better...

Stayed August 2008