“"Our 4th time there, and certainly not the last"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sail Inn of Montauk

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sail Inn of Montauk
You added Sail Inn of Montauk to your Saves list
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Montauk
East Meadow
“"Our 4th time there, and certainly not the last"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My friends and I really enjoy this place. It's close to the fishing boats and restaurants. Rooms are big and clean and George and staff are more than accommodating. It's very affordable and very comfortable. Amy did a great job tending bar the nite we were there. I would highly recommend staying at the Sail Inn!!!!!!! P.S. I won the pool on one of the half day fluke boats!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mark W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
freeport ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

The Sail Inn is a small motel near the charter boats in Montauk. It has a bar down stairs,with a friendly local crowd and staff. They also serve food in the evening with a different special each night. Rooms are large and clean. I look to stay here whenever I am in Montauk.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank donald b
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at the Sail Inn for a wedding. It was in a good location to the train station, harbor and not too far from the beach. but we stayed here mainly because it was the only b&b around there that would accept less than a three-night minimum stay. Now I know why. The second we set foot into the place, we couldn't wait for our two nights to be over. A few highlights (most also shown in my pictures):

- You check in at the bar. (That could be comical and rustic, but it was just a sign of bad things to come.)
- The furniture in our room was old, sticky and filthy. The tables hadn't been wiped and had mystery stains all over them, as did the chair, bedding, couch and bathtub. I couldn't stand to be in the room longer than 15 minutes at a time during the day because I didn't feel comfortable to sit on any of the surfaces. Luckily, at night we had enough wine in us from the wedding to suppress the thoughts of what was living inside our pillows and comforter.
- The lamps were either not plugged in or didn't even have bulbs in them. The phone had wires sticking out of it.
- Of course, the place didn't supply toiletries beyond some soap, and the fresh towels were already dirty.
- But the crowning moment was when the owner, upon our checking out, couldn't resist to yell, "Don't forget to leave a couple bucks for the maid." We have stayed in a hotel before, thanks, and know the proper etiquette, although this was the first place where I ever contemplated not leaving a tip. But then again, it's not the housekeeper's fault that the owners of the Sail Inn would rather spend their money elsewhere than heir own property.

All in all, this is the worst place I have stayed since a hotel in East Germany right after the wall came down. At $165/night, it was a huge disappointment. I have a hard time believing any of the glowing reviews on here, especially after seeing some of the other hotels and b&b's in Montauk.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
9 Thank spag73
Port Jefferson Station, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Roaches crawling on walls in room, reeked of cigarette smoke. Bar is too close to rooms.You can hear the noise all night. Not a place for kids, Good for low life trailer trash.

Room Tip: If you don't care about cleanliness and bar noise this is the place for you
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Brian M
Jamesport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

This past weekend my husband and I stayed at the Sail Inn in Montauk for my birthday weekend.! Great choice. The rooms were fantastic - spacious, clean, great views of the water, parking right by our room, even WiFi! We stayed two nights and ate dinner in their restaurant both nights - wonderful friendly service, delicious food and at a great price you cannot find in a vacation town ! We plan on going back in the fall to enjoy the Montauk daisies and fish one of the party boats again. I highly recommend the Sail Inn to all my friends. JB

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanie C
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

With plans to go on a whale watching cruise The Sail Inn is the perfect location...... just a very short walk from the dock. The location is also great if you are planning a fishing trip or taking the ferry to Block Island. The room was clean and large. There is also a bar in the main building which was full when we checked in around 5:00p.m. But the best thing I can say about The Sail is their customer service. When making the reservation, via telephone, the staff was very nice and accommodating. Upon check-in, even with a busy bar, I was immediately attended to. After our visit we realized we left something at The Sail and called the office to see if they could locate it......They did and send it back to us at no charge....now that's customer service above and beyond. Looking forward to another visit there soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank maryannvv
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Back home after our second visit to the Sail Inn where we received a warm "welcome back" from George and Joanne.Again not disappointed, spotlessly clean room with plenty of hot water and fresh towels provided every day.Enjoyed the homely atmosphere during "Happy Hour" meeting up with the regulars and having the odd game of pool.The harbour is just a stones throw away while the local bus stops just outside the door should you feel like venturing into town.

For a relaxed and value for money vacation the Sail Inn cannot be beaten.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple