“Had a brilliant stay, thanks Sole East!”
Review of Sole East Resort

Sole East Resort
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just got back from a weekend at Sole East and despite having read a few negative reviews here before making the booking I was impressed. To be honest, we were having trouble finding available accommodation at short notice and thought perhaps the average reviews had helped us on this front. We may have been right and we ended up extremely happy with our choice.

We took one of the larger more expensive rooms and it was lovely, beach themed, spacious and no problems with a/c or shower at all. I also took my dog and whilst I thought the $200 was a bit steep, she had a ball, there were other dogs there and everyone was soooo friendly to her I didn't regret it for a minute.

The pool area is the best, small pool but comfortable day beds and great tunes playing from the resident DJ on weekends. Day Bed bar service from 11am to 4pm, which was kind of dangerous as cocktails were hard to resist.

Sure it's expensive for what it is - but this is Montauk! As for the service, yeah sometimes we got a bit of 'tude' but not enough to complain about. I would say it's more for the young free and single than families, but there were a few kids there and they seemed happy enough too.

Room Tip: The larger rooms out behind the pool are lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We understand that this is a coverted motel, with that said they do a good job with the music, pool lounge, food, nice boutiques for shopping. Rooms are decent for the price but the one thing that has been a consistent problem in the 3 times we've stayed at sole is the staff. they were clueless.

We asked them what time the rebecca minkoff pop-up store opened and the staff had no idea. I had to walk 20 feet to the store (in the hotel) to look at the store hours. We ordered duck hash and poached eggs and the server failed to tell us they were out of duck until after they served us potatoes and poached eggs. Waitress said they don't accept American express but the bar tender was happy to charge us on the Amex.

Other than the staff the place is good.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank sinthesize
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently hosted a two-day work trip for a pretty sizeable group, at Sole East. From the second I started working with the hotel, the owner, Dave Ceva was my primary contact (which is pretty unheard of). He took it upon himself to help me customize the menu for the two days - all prepared and served onsite - as well as helped me plan the itinerary for the trip and actually booked a large number of the activities himself. Needless to say, I was already floored by this resort's level of service before I even stepped foot on the property.

When I did arrive in Montauk (the day before the event was to begin), they sent their private car service (Luis, who was a sweetheart) to pick me up at the Jitney stop, and they took me on a tour of the hotel and set me up to speak with the executive chef Larry (another sweetheart) to iron out any last details. They made everything so easy and chill that there was really no stress on my end.

We were about to embark on some serious rain and wind the next two days, so there was a good chance that all the outdoor activities we had planned and paid for were not going to happen. That afternoon, Dave took me on a drive throughout Montauk to brainstorm alternate (indoor) activities. We put together a pretty nice itinerary and he just made a couple of calls and made it happen. The next day, the whole group arrived and it was pretty much seamless from there on out. Every single meal was phenomenal - fresh, flavorful, real farm-to-table style - and the service was great. They booked our cabs for us when we needed to go outside of the hotel, they set up and broke down our conference room for us while giving us total creative freedom, and they did it all with a smile and a "no worries" attitude.

Additionally, the resort grounds were perfectly manicured, they always had fresh flowers cut in vases, the rooms were impeccable and very stylish and modern, and the atmosphere was fun and homey. Importantly, the scene at the resort was chill and laid-back, not typical of the "Hamptons Scene" that you would find at a lot of the surrounding area hotels. I think that's a huge plus.

I can't say enough positive things about Sole East and Dave Ceva. They have a great thing going there and I hope to return soon and often.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I went for a relaxing mid-week stay. I've been going to Montauk for three years and this was my first time at Sole East. There was NO hot water in the shower. The AC was not working. The fuse blew in the room when I tried to blow dry my hair. I was disrespected by the groundskeeper. They have a very rude staff. There are too many good hotels in MTK to waste your time and money here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel was very disappointing. Loud music at night (from a party at the hotel - beneath our room) and in the morning (workers disassembling the tent). The hot water didn't work. I would have liked a chair, in the room. For our troubles, the manger gave us a coupon for a free lunch - he didn't mention that the restaurant was closed for repairs.

Room Tip: There are many nice hotels in the area; choose a different one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Karen W
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is an e-mail I sent to the owner of the hotel - I have yet to get a response. Since the owner was unable to response in any way this just added to our feelings about the trip.

Mr. Ceva:
My husband Howard and I had an opportunity to stay at your hotel over this past weekend. We were guests of your hotel while attending a beautiful wedding on Sunday evening.
I am disappointed to have to write this letter since we had high expectations of staying in your hotel which came highly recommended and we would have an opportunity to visit a part of NY we have not seen yet.

When we arrived we spoke to one of your desk assists who advised us that we could get a Lobster Roll at the restaurant down at the pool. He neglected to tell us that a Lobster Roll would cost us $34! We made the best of it and ordered a green salad, diet coke, a burger with fries and a Mojito. The entertainment was incredible – we very much enjoyed the singer and guitar player, when we could hear them over the three very LOUD, very OBNOXIOUS, very LUDE gentlemen (and I use the word gentlemen loosely). Their behavior was inexcusable and did not stop after they were asked to by the guests of the hotel. It took way too long for the restaurant manager to step up to handle the situation. What we found so distasteful is they were not asked to leave. These men were out and out rude to your female guests (including children). Later that afternoon, my husband spoke to the manager, she explained that it is difficult to find the balance between your paying guests and the locals. Really? Mr. Ceva, a balance? I will admit that the meal was wonderful, and for $70 it should be.
We made our way up to our room – the size of the room did not bother us at all. It was clean and neat and very white. However, since there were two people booked into the room, why was there only one bathrobe?, I had a discussion with my husband while we were packing if we should bring a hair dryer. He said “don’t you think they will have a hair dryer – even Holiday Inn Express has hair dryers”, so I ask, why was there no hair dryer? And no place for a woman to put on her makeup especially since the lighting in the bathroom is less than sufficient!
When we registered at the hotel we were provided our room key and directions up to the room. Our friend told us of the amazing gift bags she was putting together for her guests but we did not receive it. I had to return to the desk and ask about it.
Please note that I will not be sharing our experience with our friends – as I stated above the wedding was beautiful and they should not be burdened with this information. We feel that it is important that you as the owner of the hotel know what our experience was during our stay.

Leah J

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank l j
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

First up - to counter most of the reviews below - you don't come to Montauk to pretend you're in the Maldives at the One and Only. Montauk is traditionally a beach side town - the one on the other side of the Hamptons where the elite are hanging out.

That said, it's now clearly a hot spot, attracting the cool, possibly "hip" city crowd along w people who've been going there for years.

Solé East is a beach town resort. It has great food, a gorgeous garden and a really friendly staff, overseen by the Ceva family.

The rooms are comfy, they are not huge but you need to remember that many of these properties are conversions from motels, the likes of which you may not have wanted to stay at.

The style is beach chic - pale wood materials, cream linens... the essence of simplicity. The idea is not to spend your day in your room, but to get out and about, have some beautiful evenings and crash in a clean, comfortable bedroom. Again, if you're looking for 1500 sq ft rooms with designer furniture, concrete floors and iguanas that can make a good margarita, head to the Caribbean or Tulum... there are plenty of choices.

Regarding cost and booking fees etc. Sole East is no different in pricing than any of the other luxury resorts in Montauk, it is reasonably priced for the area. If you don't like it, you should take that aforementioned trip. But this is Montauk, and it is awesome / good fun and close enough to NYC to make it a weekend break. The reason there are lengthy deposits etc is because these businesses are tiny and have a limited season - therefore if you don't show up, they suffer - yes even at the prices they charge - you can do the maths.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay, Sole East is a good choice. Having been there many times, I know that the staff will always do whatever they can to help out. Have fun and remember life out there's about the beach, not who you just saw at the pool!!

• Stayed: June 2013