“Don't Bother!”

Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Montauk
New York City, New York, USA
“Don't Bother!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I recently stayed at Sole East and was beyond disappointed. I expect hotels in Montauk & the Hamptons to have significant mark-ups during the summer season but for $400+ a night, this place did not come close to living up to my expectations.

The room was incredibly small, the furniture was cheap looking and in poor condition (chipped paint everywhere), the lights didn't work in our room and were not hung up properly (one was off it's hook and just hanging off the wall) and there were exposed wires from the lights, alarm clock and TV all over the place.

On the hotel's website, the pictures of the standard king room look as if there is a seating area in the room. Do not be fooled, that one picture is actually from the hotel's lobby. There was no drinking water available unless you were at the bar or restaurant. There were no cups in the room to even drink the tap water. There was no toothbrush holder or soap dish.

The hotel's website boasts 'newly renovated bathrooms' which was not the case for my room. The shower faucets were full of soap scum, the drain was rusty and dirty and the shower curtain was mildewed and yellow.

The room is white on white on white on white on white. I love the shabby chic/surfer chic look but this was done terribly and the room felt more like a jail cell or a psychiatric ward.

The website also lists the restaurant's lunch hours going until 4PM but when my friend and I arrived at 2:30PM, they told us the kitchen was closed and they were no longer serving. We asked for a cup of coffee and they said no to that as well. The staff was not accommodating in anyway in my opinion. There were one or two employees who were pleasant at least but still not overly helpful.

I'm not sure if my room was just one they haven't gotten around to renovating but it was one of the worse hotel room's I've ever stayed in. I asked to switch but they were totally booked so I had to stick it out for the weekend. The grounds of the hotel are nice. The cabana beds are also nice but fill up very quickly. There are bikes to rent and the beach is really a short ride from the hotel. I've been to Montauk many times and absolutely love it there. It's a great beach town. I would just suggest staying at a different hotel or one of the beach motels. They aren't the nicest but at least you know what you're in for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
new york
Reviewed July 5, 2012

After seeing the some of the positive comments I am not sure I stayed at the same "resort". Picture a 1960's motel that has been repainted with some mood lighting and reggae music playing in the lobby. The check-in was painful we specifically requested a room away from the lobby and sure enough we got one right next to it. While the room itself bordered on "ok", the bathroom had a leak in the ceiling with wet plaster falling on the floor and a contstant drip fallining onto the floor during our stay. When I looked for a phone to call the front desk and report this, guess what no phones in your room. We obviously requested another room but they were "sold out" and were unwilling to offer us any concessions in price or a comp. The air conditioner in my 1982 Jeep CJ-7 worked better with the doors and top off. I guess the only positive is that you get to hear dj music till your drunk enough that you can pass out

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank djrnyc

Travelers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Darien, Connecticut
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I went to Sole East (using Groupon) with my Mom as part of her 80th birthday present. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by the lovely Kate, who went out of her way to make us feel welcome, to our departure the next afternoon - we had a lovely experience. The room was cute (might not have been totally thrilled if we were paying full price) but the real attraction was the grounds. Gorgeous butterfly bushes and hydrangea are everywhere along with adirondack chairs and lounges. Birds were singing and a complimentary rum punch awaited when we returned from the beach (thanks to Kate for the punch and the great Ditch beach recommendation). Also wonderful were Charlie and Anna who went out of their way to help us. One complaint was the air conditioner which would loudly rev up during the night and woke me several times.

Room Tip: 222was nice but only if they change air conditioner!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Pros:
Clean room and bedding
Modern and well-decorated
Very Nice staff and service
Very peaceful garden and large outdoor quiet area (for me to write this review)
Close to local restaurants(we drove, driving 5 mins, biking and walking estimate about 20 to 30 mins)

Cons:
Shower, sudden cold/sudden hot
Pool is a bit too small
Restaurant food was ok and a bit over-priced
A bit hallway walking noisy in the morning (I am not a early person)
Staff leave at late night and no telephone in the room (make sure you have everything and get everything before they leave)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Just got back from an overnight stay on a Thurs. we received a garden view/king room as a birthday present (my friend went thru groupon). We checked in even early,1 pm not problem. I asked for a 2nd floor room near steps down to the restaurant, garden and pool, again - no problem. Very accommodating anyone we ask a questions or for something was happy to help us. You could probably walk to town but it was too hot for us and it was no problem finding parking in town and you do get a parking pass for the beach. We at twice at Gosman's Cafe and the Restaurant and it was amazing! Such a difference when you eating FRESH SEAFOOD! Forgot how beautiful Montauk is, but not the traffic trying to get there and get out! Everything in the hotel was very, very clean I saw some bad reviews and did not experience that at all. I would say it you want a very reasonable place to stay out in Montauk try this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We enjoyed our stay after whooping it up in Manhattan. From Houston, we like a warm climate and Sole East has a beach hotel feel with the upgraded pool and restaurant/bar that makes you want to hang around all day. That combined with a friendly staff made our relaxing end to our trip phenomenal.
Special thanks to Sandy,
-Dr. Moore

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobertMooreIII
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Was headed out to Montauk for the wknd adn we had rented a house for a few days but wanted to spend an extra night, we snagged a deal to stay at Sole East for Sunday night and arrived around 3pm, check in was pretty easy and loved the vibe from the minute we walked in. Be prepared to carry your suitcase up the stairs and if you're a heavy packer like me it's not that fun. The rooms are simple, all white, no central air but a unit in the window, you can tell the place has been around forever but they have taken the time for updates. Most likely if you're staying here you're not spending a lot of time in the room, you're either by the beach or by the pool. We immediately hit the pool and stayed there till around 7pm, it was a little slice of heaven, pool beds with pillows, waitress service with ice cold water, a great pool to take a dip in and chill music. I was so relaxed I really didn't want to leave! The breakfast the next morning by the pool was also fantastic and we spent the whole morning lounging even after we checked out. I absolutely recommend staying here if you're looking to stay away from the beach on the Fort Pond side of Montauk. I had a much better experience here this summer than I did last summer at Sole Beach and will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends