“Perfect getaway”

Ranked #1 of 3 Montauk B&B and Inns
Bronx, New York
“Perfect getaway”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I was here with a friend for two nights and we both were very satisfied. We asked for a room with the ocean view and it was worth the extra money. The room had a nice breeze because the windows were facing two different directions. Each room was occupied while we were here in late April, but it never felt crowded. One negative was the our room key didn’t work very well, but I minor issue. The continental breakfast was perfect for us because even though we were here during the last day of Passover, there were hard boiled eggs that we ate with the Matzah and the second morning we enjoyed some bread and bagels. We brought our dinner and lunch for Kosher accommodation for my friend and were able to store it in the small but compact refrigerator in the kitchen. The porch was great, we enjoyed a lunch there, though it got cold with the wind. The Inn is located steps away from the beach, however you would need to drive to town for any restaurants and most of the parks, such as the Lighthouse. Jess and Mick were very nice and friendly and made a suggestion for our dinner at Manucci's. Even though it was 2 h 45 min drive from where we lived, the off season quietness is worth the drive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LeahV80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
England
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I am finding it hard to review this Guest House; we loved the situation (albeit the weather was awful - but we could see how lovely the place would be if it wasn't raining and windy) The Guest House is GORGEOUS - characterful, warm and charming; we loved its atmosphere and where it was, right by the ocean. On arrival there was a chalkboard with our name informing us that the key was in the door of our room; this was absolutely fine - the owners of such a small, niche establishment cannot be on hand ALL the time. Our room was the smallest - but this was OK as we had opted for the least expensive. It was very pretty with all that we needed. I briefly met Mick, one of the owners, who was very nice, but a little distant and I didn't feel he wanted to spend much time talking to me.
Breakfast was fine; we didn't want a large cooked affair and what was provided was to our liking.
By the time we had finish breakfast we had only had a few sightings of Mick - who I am sure was watching out for our needs - and my husband had had a brief conversation with him. We never saw Jess, our other host; I am sure she must be very busy.
We do feel that part of the experience of staying at a Guest House is the interaction between the owners/staff and the guests. We would not expect constant attention - in fact, that would make us uncomfortable; but a little more friendliness would have made so much difference.
We wish the owners well; we hope they go from strength to strength in their lovely place and we thank them for letting us stay with them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MagsE
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My husband & grown daughter & I spent 2 relaxing nights in the downstairs suite during the Christmas-New Year week (a third night would have been free, but rain moved in...) It was quiet and comfortable (even the fold-out sofa bed), had a big bathroom/nice shower, adequate non-cooked breakfast with lots of perfect fruit & choices of breads etc. Very comfortable front room facing the sea with sofa and tables to read and hang out. Wonderful to watch the sun rise out of the sea! Jimmy, the owner, is as conversational as you want, with a wealth of local lore. Very cozy for a winter getaway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank VMR510
Woodside, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I went for a weekend trip to Montauk for our anniversary. The Sunrise Guest House was very charming. The location was great, across the street from the beach and walking distance to the town. The B & B was very clean and we enjoyed our stay. The rooms were adorable and very nicely decorated. I suggest room 3, its a suite with ocean views and very cozy. We road bikes to the lighthouse (about 6-7 miles away), which was a tad hilly but definitely worth it. The restaurant next door, Surfside Inn was excellent and so was Harvest, which we ate at the following night. We had a very relaxing time and highly recommend both Montauk in general and the Sunrise Guest House.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 3 and 4, 3 is an adorable suite with a view of the ocean. Room 4 is cute, but very...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lizzyo48
Thionville, France
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Sunrise Guest house. The place is litterally steps away from the beach and beach chairs and towels were made available to the guests. The tenants are very nice, recommended us nice places to eat and ensures we had everything we needed. The breakfast was lovely.
We can also see that the tenants are very health conscious and environment conscious, which is a good point also.

Room Tip: Maybe do not choose the small room, as it is very tiny. Take one of the suites instead for better co...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I booked the Mon thru Thurs deal for the small room w- priv bath. The house is charming and the room is very clean. Jim, the owner, was very nice, even loaned me a bike to get around town. Jess and Mick, the day to day caretakers, are wonderful and made me feel very welcome. If you're going without a car, the walk to The Plaza is about 30 minutes but there is a fantastic restaurant right next door. I had dinner there all 4 nights to avoid a second walk into town. This was the most relaxing vacation I have been on. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just spent 4 fabulous days there. Stayed on first floor suite and enjoyed the peaceful front deck area each evening. The owners were very nice and the place was quiet and super clean! The location was great with the beach steps away and they provide beach chairs and towels - felt like i was in my own summer house here and hope to make it back there as a regular visit each year! Very nice place and hosts!

• Stayed July 2013