“Great for Moms and Kids”

Daunt's Albatross Motel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed July 12, 2008

This is our second year at the Albatross. We meaning 6 moms and 9 children, 8 of them under the age of 5! The Albatross was the only place that seemed happy to have us when I called and explained our situation. They truly welcomed us with open arms. When I called again this year they remembered us and were happy to accommodate us once again. They were so nice. This year they seemed to have updated the rooms a bit which was nice. Yes the shower is small but I brought one of those round tubs to bath my 2 year old in and it was fine the older kids thought it was fun in the shower. Yes, the walls are panelled but aren't they all in Montauk??? The staff was wonderful, the hotel clean, the pool was relaxing and clean. Some of the workers even ate breakfast with our kids in the courtyard and talked with them, it was so sweet! The BBQs were great we bbqd each night and ate with the kids out in the playground where they had a huge picnic table! We will certianly make this the place to stay for our annual moms and kids week in Montauk!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank LIMomOfTwo

Reviewed October 1, 2007

My boyfriend and I were in Montauk this past weekend for a triathlon that he was competing in. We booked our stay at Albatross based on the recommendation of the race website. What a mistake!! We got no sleep and the place is a dump. I don't think my standards are too high and I'm not that hard to please, but I think a comfortable bed with fluffy pillows and a room that doesn't smell like mildew is not that much too ask for.

When checking in you have to pay in full upfront and then they hand over the remote for the t.v. to take back to the room. Ok, that's when I was having second thoughts....Then we entered our room to be greeted not by the fresh smell of the ocean, but by the lovely smell of mildew. The walls are wood paneled, the bedspread looked like it was from the 70's, 2 pillows that were flat as a pancake and there was no alarmclock. (you have to go back to the front desk to get that) The bathroom was tiny and the shower was even smaller - with no light! Ok, now I really wanted to check out, but my bf convinced me that we can deal.

The first night of our stay we got NO sleep. There were people partying al night - talking loud, running up and down the stairs and slamming doors all night. It was one of those nights were I couldn't sleep and I was just waiting for the sun to come up so I could just get up and start the day.

Then the next night, again NO sleep. The walls are so thin in this place that we could hear the couple in the room next to us fighting for over 2 hours. And I mean we could hear EVERYTHING...she was crying and yelling at him, he was yelling back. I finally went over at 1am and told them nicely that we could hear them fighting and the guy apologized, but then 10 minutes later his girlfriend was yelling again. Then we called the front desk and asked them to tell them to be quiet. It worked temporarily, but everytime I would drift back to sleep someone would yell and I would wake up again. Then to top it all off - we were woken up at 3am by banging on the wall - it was them having sex. And it last for an hour!

Talk about a night from hell! We had to get up at 5am for the race and believe me, we were not feeling very well-rested. When we were checking out we told the front desk about our stay and all they could do was apologize. No refund or even partial refund. The owner offered to give up comp nights, but we told him we could never stay at this motel again. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you like to stay up all night and party.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank aprilchristine
Reviewed April 27, 2007

I definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone. My husband and I have both traveled extensively through Europe and the US on a budget so we are not expecting top notch accomodations here and we are usually pretty easily pleased. The room was damp and musty and overall, did not seem very clean. We would not walk in the room without shoes, as the carpet was damp and did not feel clean. It grossed me out to have my bare feet on it. The shower was unbelievable small and it was impossible to shower without touching the walls and the dirty shower curtain. I shudder thinking about it. The worst thing was the sheets and bedding. They did not seem clean and clearly have been used for years and years. The rooms need some major upgrading. I don't think anything has been changed since this motel was built. Yes, it was close to the beach, but when you don't want to leave the beach because it means going back to a sleezy room, there's a problem.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meikaaaa
Reviewed September 12, 2006

This was the third year that we've come back to the Albatross and I have never had a problem while staying here. People need to keep in mind that no matter where you stay in Montauk, you are going to be over-charged, and your room is going to be damp. I am pretty sure that's just how it is for most of the town.
The staff at the Albatross were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are pretty comfortable, but again, damp. The decor is not exactly modern, but really - who cares. You're only going to be sleeping there.
The pool was quite nice, very clean and clear. The area around the pool was also clean and relaxing; plenty of lounge chairs, picnic tables and pin pong. The courtyard is also very nice with two barbeques and a lot of seating at picnic tables. If there is a large group of you coming out to montauk, this is a really great feature. There was a group of about 10 while we were there and they were out in the courtyard together for most of the weekend, just hanging out.
I honestly can't complain about the Albatross. If you get a room with a balcony (or back deck, really) its a nice feature as you can hang your wet beach towels out to dry. But really, any room is just fine.

Oh, one complaint - the showers are kind of cramped. Maybe even claustrophobic, but that's about it.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank willowisp27
Reviewed August 6, 2006

The location is good. Room was ok, but bedding was disgusting, which would prevent me from returning -- how hard is it to wash & change sheets between guests -- and throw them out once they are stained and holey beyond recognition!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank briand723
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My husband and I have been going to Albatross for hmmmm.....probably about 8 years. If you have never been to Montauk, you need to understand that the quality of the hotels needs to be kept in perspective. These are not luxurious accomadations, they are a comfortable place to sleep and shower while enjoying all that Montauk has to offer. That being said, the Albatross is friendly, comfortable and an amazing value. I do not know of any other place that serves bagels, fruit, danish, cereal and coffee for breakfast at the relatively low room price that they do. The location is central and only about 1/2 block from the beach. Last time we were there however, the beach was terribly erroded and pretty much non-existant, but the weather was stormy so that might have been a factor.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank bronxteacher
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Our stay at the Albatross was ok. The positives were the rooms were clean, neat and you were supplied with a coffee maker and fridge. Also included was a continental breakfast, bagles, fresh fruit, cereal, juices and coffee. The pool was very clean and the motel is steps away from the beach and village. The community area to BBQ was nice and also clean and quiet.
The negatives were the uncomfortable beds, scratchy linen and small bathroom.
I had never stayed in Montauk and thought the price was high for this room but comparing other hotels it was comparable. Our vacation overall was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family