“A Place that Has It All”

Daunt's Albatross Motel
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We've been staying at Daunt's Albatross Motel for close to 20 years. It is a family run business - we go back time and time again and are treated like family. I can't say enough about the staff - everyone always has a smile and are willing to accomodate our every need. The motel is a half block from the ocean and a very short walking distance from town so it is easy to get to the shops and to get something to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank terris5526
There are newer reviews for Daunt's Albatross Motel

Reviewed May 13, 2013

What can I say. I thought $100/nt to be a block from beach and walking distance to town was a steal, but after staying there 2 nts. I'm not sure. It's obviously an old-fashioned motel, with little rooms, old furniture with little matching and in need of serious updating. The beds were not made for the most comfortable sleep, a weird odor in room (maybe just humid ocean environment), tight situation due to 2 doubles in room. TV didn't work well due to many stations not having sound, very strange. It was clean, except for windows and was very close to beach and town for sure and the staff was friendly and helpful. Wish I could report more positives. Wish their was a 6 point rating where I'd place this just below average.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank D W
Reviewed April 6, 2013

So when I first got there the staff warmly welcomed me and helped me get to my room which was clean as I've ever seen. It was nice and cozy. It was in a great location one block away from the beach. It right near a chain of little cute wonderfully priced stores. They also gave me beach chairs.there were also a couple cute girls helping out in the office and telling the funniest jokes. The rooms smelt very good and clean everyday. The pool was very nice calm and the perfect temperature. There was a complimentary breakfast every morning with fresh fruit and coffee tea bagels muffins and more. It was the best vacation I've ever been on. Stay there!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This quaint little stay was a short little walk from the beach. All shops were just a short walk away including a fun little miniature golf place. There were grills and picnic tables in the courtyard and a great little pool. I was greeted by 3 young girls warmly welcoming me and my husband with some cheeky remarks. The young lady behind the desk quickly got me checked in and brought me to my room which was clean and retro. So cozy! Throughout my stay the service was great and the whole family loved the complimentary breakfast. I will definately stay again!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

There are already quite a few reviews of Daunt's Albatross so here is just a summary of what we found (Daunt's Albatross West):
Plus side:
- great location, only a block away from the beach!
- good price compared to the other (yes, more upscale) accommodations in Montauk.
- clean rooms (our room - at least - was very clean).
- family friendly.
- adequate breakfast.

Negative:
- NOISY: we found the motel - and Montauk in general (in the summer) - to be quite noisy. The AC in the room was noisy but it was way too hot to sleep comfortably without having it on. Other guests of the Albatross playing drinking games in the courtyard were also a bit of a nuisance as well as some WILD springbreakers staying at a neighboring motel. Finally, it was hard to understand why the garbage truck had to make so much noise for such a long time every other day at 5am. I thought they were making sure they smashed every single beer bottle the springbreakers had left behind. Having noted that, I do understand that of all the noise factors I listed the motel is actually only responsible for the old AC.
- Old decor: as everybody else on TripAdvisor noted the decor is old. That was what we expected and did not bother us a bit.

Room Tip: You just need to be lucky and be as far removed as possible from the spring break folks. Apart from...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank palmerop
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I've been going to Montauk since I was a toddler and as an adult I've tried a variety of local hotels. I've stayed at the old Ronjo in recent years and that was pretty bad. Daunt's Albatross West,while old in decor and design, was fine for the two nights I stayed this past week (Sun-Tues) with two friends. The room was clean. We asked for more towels since we weren't given enough and immediately were given as many as we wanted. The AC worked and did block noise which was nice. There was cable tv. There were no closets and the shower was super tiny. There was a nice deck even if we had an entire drunken family reunion surrounding us on all sides but because of the age and wall thickness we didn't hear them. There was a nice pool with deck chairs and a tennis court.
The best part is it is one block from the beach and literally in the center of town. I go to Montauk to lounge on the beach all day and use the room to just sleep. I didn't want to pay out the nose for ambience so I was satisfied with the cleanliness and central location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kate11os
Reviewed August 9, 2012

An earlier review said only if...If you are a college age kid looking to get a room in party central, this is it. This place is in poor condition, and it's not terribly well kept either. It's also useful if you are looking for a location for a film set in the 70's where someone is murdered in a shower. $205 for a weekday stay. ouch. Wifi? Not in our room. Yes, the beach is nearby, but there are better places to stay for this amount. If this is the last room in town, you know why.

Room Tip: The best advice I could give you is to look at another room in another Motel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple