“Bad experiance when booking, but turned out to be a great trip”
Review of Beach Plum Resort

and 1 more site!
Beach Plum Resort
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Montauk
“Bad experiance when booking, but turned out to be a great trip”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Originally booked through booking.com, and was guaranteed a rate of approx $500 for memorial day weekend. A few days later I got a call from Keith (hotel management) who said that booking.com listed an incorrect price and he would have to charge me slightly more. when I asked what "slightly more" meant, he told me the new total cost would be approx $900! I told him I was sorry that they had an internal error but that I was guaranteed that rate. He insisted that I pay more (I refused). I then called booking.com who informed me the the Beach Plum property is responsible for updating their listing and pricing and therefore the price is guaranteed! when I called Keith to inform him of booking.com informed me, he immediately backed down and claimed that he never asked me to pay full price. This is a lie. THAT SAID, we did very much enjoy our stay. The location of the hotel is wonderful, we were able to walk to town and the beach. The grounds were kept beautifully and we had a great experiance. One of the only downsides to our stay is that the walls/floors are paper thin and we could hear our upstairs neighbors thumping/walking back and forth until 3am. I know sometimes loud neighbors comes with the territory of staying in a motel-type property, but I do think that perhaps the rooms could use the installation of some sound muffling upgrades. All in all a good experiance, I would reco to a friend.

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs can be noisy; thin ceilings
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 25, 2012

What more could you ask for than being 200 yards from the Atlantic Ocean? At the Beach Plum we could laze around in the morning and make our own breakfast, chill our own drinks and grill our own dinner, walk or bike ride to shops and restaurants or arrange for a friendly taxi service. I am from Long Island and I think about the beach plum as a place to enjoy Montauk in all is natural beauty. Sitting outside the sliding doors you can hear the ocean as it hits the land, the pool is a nice addition. I liked the simplicity of well kept, clean rooms. I would visit again

Room Tip: Take a view of the ocean either in upper room or lower room where the view is not inhibited by trees...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Noreen C
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We have been to the Beach Plum several times now over the past few years and have always had a wonderful experience. We go to the Beach Plum when we want a quiet relaxing oceanside vacation and book a one bedroom with a small kitchenette. We have breakfast in the room but enjoy walking to town to enjoy the delicious restaurants for dinner - There are alot of activities nearby, but we enjoyed spending most of our time at the ocean in front of the resort or lounging and reading by the pool or the terrace of our room. I have not experienced any problems with management that other reviewers have mentioned, but I have been told that new management is in place. We are looking forward to our next Beach Plum stay.

Room Tip: This resort is also accessible for travelers from NYC that don't have a car as everything is wit...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilCasey
Brookhaven, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My 3 sisters and I planned a weekend at the Beach Plum Resort for our mothers 75th birthday. There were 11 of us, moms daughters and granddaughters. We sent our check during the winter to reserve 2 suites for the last weekend in April of 2012. The Thursday before we planned to go the Manager phoned and stated we could only have one room because the owners decided they were coming and wanted the room. They said we would now have to be separated into 3 rooms. Then on Friday, the night before we were scheduled to arrive he phoned and stated we couldn't have any suites and that we would now be put into 4 small rooms. We told him this was unacceptable as we picked his hotel because of the suites.When I went to a hotel with my family years ago and they had to move my room they upgraded us to a Suite for the inconvenience, Beach Plum didn't even offer us a free breakfast or a discount. We were lucky to find rooms at the Ocean Beach resort and went there. I would never recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Susieque052
New York
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times and should have learned. The first trip was a holiday weekend several years ago. There were people drinking, stumbling, and cursing everywhere. The staff/manager did absolutely nothing. I chocked this up to what it was, a holiday weekend. I gave them another chance the following year and stayed for 5 days. Seeing as how this was somewhat offseason and during the week I avoided much of the lewd antics before. This time around the manager had a tv delivered to the unit I was staying in and asked if I would mind. I said no only to later realize that I needed to stay there and help the people whom were delivering it. After that I told the staff at Beach Plum that the old tv was still there and asked if they could remove it. Never happened! I ended up having to remove it, a 27" tube tv which must have weighed a good 75 pounds. I ended up mentioning this as it was completely inappropriate, and the only thing the manager said was thank you.

I ended up booking my next trip because I couldn't find anywhere else to stay. This trip mirrored my first trip. There were tons of intoxicated people and the management/staff did absolutely nothing. Mind you I wasn't the only one whom was upset as there were other families there. Unfortunately they seemed to feel intimidated. The room below me must have had at least ten people in it as they partied until 4 am. I spoke to the attendant and he provided no assistance. He gave me a completely inappropriate excuse that there are no staff there overnight and that if there was a problem we had to call the manager at the resort next door. As crazy and completely unprofessional a response as this was it was even more offensive as the manager at the resort next to the Beach Plum clearly would have heard all of the noise. The office staff's condescending tone prompted me to ask for the manager whom wasn't there. The next day when I approached the same person I was told that they would give me 10% off of one night which was a complete slap in the face. There was never an apology, only them talking to me like I had no right to complain.

I ended up telling the attendant that this was in no way an appropriate course of action and that I would never stay there again. He expressed no concern and knew full well that I was a repeat customer. I ended up trying to contact the manager via email several times explaining to him how unprofessionally I was dealt with and he never responded.

If you are still reading my long-winded story let it serve as a warning. I completely understand the operations of hotels and resorts as I have a certificate in Hotel Operations from NYU. Nothing done at the Beach Plum is done with any thought toward customer retention. You can basically take it or leave it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank MarkeyR
South Salem, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2012

It's sad to see that some travelers have had a bad experience at the Beach Plum. The units are all independently owned co-ops and most of them are well appointed. We stay in what we feel is one of the best units on the property, #12. It's an upper corner one bedroom unit that is decorated like a liittle beach house. It has a queen and twin bed in the bedroom and a pull out queen in the living room. It has a extra large flat screen tv in the living room and a flat screen tv in the bedroom. The unit is supplied with board games, books, a bluray player, etc., so if its a rainy day there is something to do right in the unit. We have also had the oppertunity to peek in some of the other units when we traveled with our friends to the Beach Plum and all of the upper one bedroom units are very nice. The lower one bedroom units are also well appointed and you dont have to climb the stairs with your luggage, but I perfer not having anyone above me. Overall we are very happy with the Beach Plum and highly recommend unit #12.

Room Tip: We recomment unit #12. Corner units are larger and the units in the one bedroom building seem to be...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MontaukFan
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2011

If you're looking for something offbeat, but clean and comfortable, the Beach Plum might be the place for you. We stayed in cottage #3 which is a duplex. It had LR, updated kitchenette, bathroom w/shower and a separate bedroom. Outside was a deck facing the road/ beach and a yard w/grill. It was plenty of room for a couple, but might be tight for more people - depending how much room you like. It was clean. the decor is kitchy/cluttered and charming and the bed/linens were good quality - not high end, but nice.The deck is great, but the furniture is shabby and uncomfortable. There are some annoying problems that need to be tended to -kitchen faucet handle falls off, ceiling fans clatter. Not too bothersome for a 3 night stay. We did not ask to have these fixed because we did not want to be bothered. The location is great-path to the beach is right across the road. Bike/walk path right there too for easy walks into Montauk shops, eateries and stores. We found the staff courteous and friendly. This cottage had new, quiet really efficient air conditioning. The pool was heated and clean.

Room Tip: The cottages have decks and a small yard.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family